Which Shocks Will Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Shocks Will Help?

Hey gang,

I am looking to stiffen up my front end. I find the front end of my '02 F150 to be a bit to bouncy, particularly when off road. On road it seems fine, but off road is where I find it WAY to bouncy. I have cranked the torsion bars. That was mainly to lift the front end up a bit but I do like the slightly stiffer ride. I still have not been off road to test the truck with the new torsion bar setting, but I do not think that the slight difference will be enough for me when off road. I have read most of the forums on shocks but was hoping for a suspension suggestion specifically suited to what I am looking for. I am aware of Rancho's and have read good reviews on Bilstien's. I am not particular on which shock, I just want one that will help get rid of the bouncy ride.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. The rear seems fine. All I carry in the back is a dirt bike, however I would most likely change all 4 shocks if it was suggested.

Last edited by Shmuck; 04-25-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:06 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
You should change all four shocks if you go this route. The Ranchos offer the ability to tailor the shock rate to your tastes. The Bilsteins are usually stiffer than stock, but don't offer the adjustability. Are you using aftermarket wheels and or bigger-than-stock tires? The heavier the wheel/tire the more work the shock has to do to control rebound rate.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Shmuck
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. I understand the difference that a larger then stock tire and wheel combo would make, but I am currently running stock. I do plan on adding a 285/75/16 in the near future. This should be considered when suggesting a shock, however, will there be a big difference? And, if I get a shock that will solve the front end bounce, will that be too much shock for the rear??

Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
fordman311
Senior User
I would say ranchos or bilsteins. The rancho RS9000X are very nice, because they are adjustable. If you are someone who is particular about the ride these would be the way to go, especaially if you plan on taking your turck offroad cause you can crank them all the way up for good offroad control and turn em back down for the ride home.