1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

When is Ford going to update the Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is Ford going to update the Ranger?

GM has their new mid-size Colorado/Canyon out, Toyota has the new mid-size Tacoma out, and Nissan has the new mid-size Frontier out.
When is Ford going to update the Ranger in order to compete with these new mid-size trucks?
Ford usually runs in 5-7 year cycles, so the Ranger should be due for a redesign pretty soon, right?
Octane

Old 04-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Level2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't bet on it! I'm not sure that Ford plans on upgrading to a midsize truck at all. I hope they don't. Ranger is the last of the true compact trucks. If I wanted a bigger truck I would buy a F150 or larger. Big trucks have their attributes but drawbacks as well. Same can be said for a compact but it really just depends on what you need in a truck. I have had full size trucks and they are great for what they are meant to do but not always the best fit for your needs. I hope Ford doesn't play follow the leader and upsize a great truck.

Old 04-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Torsen Rick
Senior User
Didn't we have this conversation recently? I don't think Ford is spending any money on vehicle that has traditionally led competition in a market segment that's shrinking. I wouldn't expect to see anything more then face lifts for a while...

Old 04-20-2005, 09:42 AM
coenan
New User
sorry nevermind.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Ford Tradesman
Junior User
It is 17 years as the best selling compact truck. We are right in there and recognized by the company as loyal customers. There are a lot of Rangers out there in malls and community college parking lots and fishing and stuff.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
True, but the way the '05 Toyota Tacomas are selling, the days of the Ranger's sales leadership are numbered.
I do agree with you all somewhat. I mean, look at a Tacoma and a Tundra side by side and its really hard to tell them apart. I personally think that it blurrs the line between compacts and full-size a little bit too much.
Also, at almost $30,000 for a Tacoma Id gladly pay a few grand more for a full-size.
Octane

Old 04-20-2005, 07:42 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
shoot, everyone else has ruined there compact trucks, just look at the dakota/colorado/tacoma makeovers, awful! the ranger works and looks good, why mess with a winner? heck from a distance i sometimes cant tell a ranger from a F150. i do wish they'd give us a inline 4 cyl diesel, around 200 cid with a creeper 1st. mini-superduty!

Old 05-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
To me the Ranger looks just like the '04 Toyota Tacoma. The only difference is that it has a little blue oval instead of a T inside of a circle.
I do see where you all are coming from though...
Octane

Old 05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
VBigFord20
Senior User
Originally Posted by Octane
To me the Ranger looks just like the '04 Toyota Tacoma. The only difference is that it has a little blue oval instead of a T inside of a circle.
I do see where you all are coming from though...
Octane
Get your eyes checked, they look NOTHING alike.

I bet we do not see a new ranger untill 2010 and even then Im sure it will use alot of currernt gen explorer parts to keep costs down.