Solved my FE gas mileage problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 71 Muddbugg
I stopped at the Husky station and asked what their premium was at and he told me $1.12 a litre....that is $4.26 a gallon!!!
Paying that much per gallon just shows that Canadians and Europeans are dumber than Americns by a bit. There is talk in the US of a general strike, where everybody just calls in and says I can't afford the gas to come to work this week, give me vacation so I will have money for next week to get to work. Unfortunately there are way to many stupid people who would still show for work, even though in the long run it would save them money.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow - calling people stupid when you don't know the full story - gas is about the same cost everywhere, the differances is the tax. And saying taxes are too high would mean that you need to know the overall picture - they do not pay taxes we do on other items.

I would be careful saying some one was dumb or stupid - it might turn out that the shoe is on the other foot.

For instance, I fail to see how doing something that would put your employeer out of business will help bring down the cost of gas? Seems like it would be a better plan to not burn gas on weekends - give up your boat and pleasure driving, which would keep us from using so much gas and might create a surplus and cheaper prices.

But then I am too dumb and stupid to know anything.

BTW, You might review the terms of service and read about calling people names and posting political messages on the equipment forum. We wouldn't want to start a flame war or hurt someone's feelings.

Last edited by WillyB; 04-22-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WillyB
wow - calling people stupid when you don't know the full story - gas is about the same cost everywhere, the differances is the tax. And saying taxes are too high would mean that you need to know the overall picture - they do not pay taxes we do on other items.

I would be careful saying some one was dumb or stupid - it might turn out that the shoe is on the other foot.

For instance, I fail to see how doing something that would put your employeer out of business will help bring down the cost of gas? Seems like it would be a better plan to not burn gas on weekends - give up your boat and pleasure driving, which would keep us from using so much gas and might create a surplus and cheaper prices.

But then I am too dumb and stupid to know anything.

BTW, You might review the terms of service and read about calling people names and posting political messages on the equipment forum. We wouldn't want to start a flame war or hurt someone's feelings.
Read caerfully, I never said they were stupid. I said "Canadians and Europeans are dumber than Americans by a bit. " Americans are in the process of being dumbed down my the oil companies and the government.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:27 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the idea of Bear's idea, if I may, is to reduce demand for gasoline and create a supply surplus, thus dramatically reducing the price of gas. Also, the damage to the economy will most likely force the gas taxes to be cut / eliminated.

The problem, as Bear hinted at, would be people taking vacations during their week off, burning gas the whole time.

The real problem, is that people wont band together to do something like this. The whole "let someone else do it" attitude pervades our culture.

My solution is a 1992 Ford Explorer, when gas mileage is a concern. FE is for power. Gas mileage is a fringe benefit if / when available.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
The government should cut gas taxes, but in my state, Washington, the *********s in the state capitol are in the process of increasing them.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:21 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Gas taxes are just stupid too. Think about it, what would happen if there were no gas taxes? Fuel prices, assuming the gas companies didn't just make up the difference, would lower. It would be a big stimulant for the economy. Let me explain. First, it would cost less to ship products, which would lower the price of goods. Also, the consumers would keep more of their money. So, they would have more money to buy goods that cost less. Consumer spending is increased. The economy is stimulated. The gov't would get more income in the form of sales taxes, and later income taxes. Probably more than the fuel taxes would ever bring. People would be happier, businesses would be happier and the government revenues would increase. Duh. If these politicians would look beyond the short term they might realize something. Oh well, I'm ranting on about this aren't I.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Cap'n Tea Bag
Junior User
Originally Posted by gtex
"Greg, that's not a scooter" ....It's a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300.
Your scooter cost more than my car, truck, and bike put together. Nice choice by the way. I hope to get one of those for touring some day.

I agree that people are to ignorant to stop driving for a week. You can't really blame the government and the oil companies for what they do. They will keep taking and taking as long as we let them. It is our fault. People just don't want to have to deal with anything any more. Most will try to get out of having to think for themselves at any cost. Some make me think that they wouldn't even bother to breath if it didn't come natural.

The next step would be to form picket lines around gas stations. Maybe eventually escalating into riots. Nothing produces action as fast as riots.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:40 PM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back when I started to drive it was four gallons for a dollar and four cents change. A cup
of coffe was 10 cents, and if I remember right with breakfast it was free. I made .75 cents an hour. When I worked myself up to 5 bucks per hr. I could save some money. There were no sales taxes, tax wage, occupational privledge taxes. People were happy,
they were not killing one another on the street. We hunted fished saw an occasional
auto race or local ball game. Sorry guys I don't know what went wrong.

Old 04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
"Sorry guys I don't know what went wrong."

Nixon and the entire Viet Nam War changed the character of the nation. We no longer trusted our leaders, and our leaders soon became untrustworthy.

Somehow patriotism became shameful, and it was everyone for himself.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:24 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rusty, that was well worded, nothing I could add, thanks.

Carl....=o&o>....

Old 04-24-2005, 04:43 PM
redhawkssh44
Senior User
Unfortunatly the oil companies are to greedy to let the prices come down if we stopped using fuel on the weekends. They would just pull a Phillips and sell the surplus to China like they did a few years ago. We still haven't seen a signifigant reduction in prices since then. And to top it off, our Wa state democrat hijacked government is trying to raise our gas tax again. I wonder what they would do if we could convince everyone to ride a bike to work instead of driving? Even if they did raise the gas tax they wouldn't get the money they are after.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:47 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Shoot, what if we convinced everyone to ride a motorbike to work? You still get there fast, go just as far, but what do those things get, 50mpg minimum? That'd make a huge dent in demand. Plus, you save loads of money!

Now I want a motorbike.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Cap'n Tea Bag
Junior User
Having more motor bikes on the street would be way cool.

Then maybe people would take them as a serious mode of transportation, and not as toys like they are considered now.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rusty, I went to work for 3 1/2 years on a 42cc scooter that has 14" wheels, 5mm belt drives, 85 mpg unless it rained then the truck. This is one of those no license needed things that has a seat. Work was 3 1/4 miles away. With 9 motorcycles (show quality winners) this scooter is a legal defiant kick in the butt, not an expansion chamber annoyance.

Carl....=o&o>....

Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
352 blue
Senior User
I live in Midland Texas center of the oil industry we have the US's 2nd largest tank farm something like 100 tanks each one holds 100,000 barrels of crude 42 gallons to a barrel 42,000,000 gals of crude with prices so high we are having a boom 500 new houses built last year in a city of 100,000 people things are good and bonuses are high ( and gas is 1.92 a gal)

Quick Reply: Solved my FE gas mileage problem.