Sponsored by:

What Now? No Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:47 PM
togoffrd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Now? No Start

Hey folks, I've got a 88 Bronco 302, 5 speed. About a year ago was the last time it ran, and I'm just getting around to needing to use it again. The last time I moved it was from in front of the garage to right beside it. It was started and moved and shut off. Before that day no problems. Since that day it won't start. No fuel pump noise, no check engine light, just turns over. Haven't officially got to see if there is spark yet, but doubt I will see any.
My question is there a simple and cheap way to check the ECM? I am leaning toward the computer because of the check engine light no longer is working (sometimes it is real dim) and the fuel pumps do not come on even with new relays ( I can jump them to turn them on, but still no start). It's had a new ignition module and a ZF tranny put in shortly before it laid down on me, and new relays after. If memory serves me, it has just over 100k miles on it.
So what do you think? It's been a long time since I messed with it so I probably forgot some of what has been checked.
Thanks Tom

Old 04-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
your battery may not have enough charge to turn the motor over . does it have gas in it? check for fuel pressure, then check for spark. pull out a plug to make sure its getting fuel to it as well. until you get it running pulling codes wont do you any good.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:15 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Disconnect, clean and reconnect ALL connections to your battery. This includes the other ends to the starter solenoid, and the grounds to the block.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
togoffrd
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I think maybe I didn't explain my problem right, the truck cranks over just fine, the battery is fully charged, it has good fuel pressure when I jump the terminals where the relay goes, so that rules out the pumps.

I will get out to clean up all the cables and grounds to rule that out. When the key is turned on the check engine light is the only one real dim, the other idiot lights still work brightly, that and with the fuel pumps not turning on, is why I was thinking it may be ECM problems.

So after all the cables and grounds are cleaned I guess start checking voltages at sensors and ECM. Am I on the right track?

Thanks again, Tom

Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Yep you are on the right track. Just watch for the train that is coming up behind you.
Let us know what you find!