Help with Brake Controller Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:33 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Brake Controller Install

I am installing a brake controller on my '96 F150. The instructions say "splice into Light Green wire at 6 pin plug at the computer access module located to the right of the column." Problem is I cannot find a 6 pin plug. I did find an empty 5 pin plug under the dash in the center with a light green wire. Is this a brake control plug and can I tap it or use it? The wire colors on this plug are Blue, White, Red, Brown, and Light Green. Thank for any advice.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:18 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
ttt ttt ttt ttt

Old 04-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
It's a six-pin plug with only five used. The sixth one is a dummy.

You know, you can get yourself a pigtail harness and not have to cut up the truck's wiring.

It sure sounds like you've got the right portion of the harness to me, though. Lt.green is the brake switch signal, the Dark Blue wire is your brake controller output, the white wire is ground, Red is the battery feed from the truck, and the brown wire is for a dimmer in case your brake controller has a lighted display that supports a dimmer.

Best of luck with your wiring.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
BTW, if you got your truck new and it had the trailer towing package, you probably have that pigtail harness in a bag somewhere. My truck came with it right in the plastic bag with the owner's manual.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
I just got the truck so no extras. Your info is appreciated, Thanks

Old 04-22-2005, 06:39 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
I got and hooked up the pigtail under the dash. Now to the rear. I found a Trailer brake lead there as well. I see the Blue Brake wire but there are two more. An orange wire and a black/green stripe wire. There is also a light green wire just hanging nearby that is capped(from factory). Any ideas on these?? There is no pigtail available from anyone for the rear plug.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
If I'm hearing you correctly, you don't have the 7-way connector at the back of your truck. Are you going to wire the 7-pin bargman connector or are you using something else? If you use the Bargman, I think the pin layout is standardized.

By the way, do you at least have a four-flat connector back there?

The orange wire you have there at the back is your 12 volt battery charge supply. That will only give you power when the key is on.

I'm pretty certain that your light green wire is for your third brake light is you would install a camper shell on your truck. On my truck, the wires had little tags right from Ford on them that told you what each wire did. Then again, I ordered mine with the Camper Package and Trailer Tow.

If I'm right, it will be a much lighter gauge than that orange wire you found. The orange wire ought to be about the same as the dark blue brake controller output wire.

I'm not so sure about that black/green striped wire, but my bet is that this is your backup lights wire. If you have a test light, I'd try it. Just don't forget to chock the wheel and set the brake before putting it into reverse.

If you have the four-flat, the same wiring conventions for the 4-flat correspond to the 7-pin when it comes to left/right/tail.ground. I don't have those in front of me, though.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
I know that Hoppy makes a kit along the lines of a "4-to-7" Connector that takes you from the four-flat trailer connector up to a 7-way Bargman. You plug your 4-flat into the socket, then it's up to you to wire in the backup lights, 12 volt power, independent ground to the body, and brake controller output. They give you a diagram for how to connect the wires in the standard pattern. The remaining connections come with terminals to splice you in. All you have to do is crimp them. Then you mount the new plug up to the truck. Just an idea. That's how I got Dad's 1992 F250 set up for the car hauler.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:59 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
Brett, I do already have the 4 to 7 Hoppy Bargman. And the truck already has the four pin as well as what I have mentioned above. If in fact that black/green stripe is for backup. I won't need it anyhow. My car trailer has no backup lights. Aside from the four pin on the Bargman. There are Three wires left. Blue(trailer brake), Black(12volt power), and White(ground). So this will be: Blue on Blue; Black on Orange; and White to Chassis for grounding. This sounds easy enough.
As far as the Light green wire. I do have a Cap with the Brake light(not hooked up). Now I know where to tap. You have been a great help. Thanks for taking your time on this. Joe

Old 04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
12secondstang
Senior User
Well I finally got everything installed. Works great. The factory supplied four pin connector at rear is different than my 4-7 hoppy. I had to buy the T-spliiter for the four pin and finished the job without any more headaches. I simply Butt connected the Blue(brakes) and the Orange and Black wires(12 volt Charge) then a ground wire. The next trick was to tie everything up nice and tidy like. DONE!!!! Thanks for the help.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Mrgeoff
Freshman User
does any one know where this trailer control hook up is underneith dash of my 94 f-250 3/4 ton with 460. it should have tow package on it.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mrgeoff, look on the lower edge of the dash right in the center of the truck, above the transmission hump. My plug is square-ish and either grey or white. Mine was secured to the edge of the dash with a plastic 'bolt'.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 PM
12secondstang
Senior User
under the ashtray area. the first two post here tell the colors of the wires on that plug.

Old 05-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Mrgeoff
Freshman User
thanks a bunch. i found it there. iv been going crazy trying to find it.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:56 AM
MKITTOW
Freshman User
Anyone know the part #'s for the Pig Tail extensions... I am in the midst of trying to install a Brake controller and the same Hoppy Adaptor Bargman at the rear.

Or a wiring diagram or listing to know what wire is what... 97 F-350. i would really appreciate it if you do.

Thanks,
MK

Quick Reply: Help with Brake Controller Install