1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Earlier upshifts possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 11:55 PM
CapriMikeC
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Earlier upshifts possible?

Hello all,

Just joined because I picked up a '99 F250 Supercab V10 a few days ago. This thing is awesome.

Is it possible to get the auto trans to upshift sooner? Especially with with an empty bed and no trailer. I'm trying to keep the revs down to get better fuel economy and the throttle has to be lifted slightly to get it to upshift. Once it upshifts, more throttle angle can be applied. This engine makes so much low end power, I think I could start in second gear from a stop light routinely and never notice.

Seems like fewer revs and more throttle angle would lead to a slight increase in mileage. My '91 F250 did the same thing with it's 351W but I know that wasn't silicon controlled. I'm asuming the stock shift maps are allowing for some payload or trailer.

Is this something that the tuner chips can adjust?

Thanks.
Mike

Old 04-16-2005, 12:56 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Careful there- one of the reasons GM saw so many tranny failures in the old AT OD's was they upshifted too soon. You'll get better mileage, but you won't be doing the tranny any favors.