Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Cargo area measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Erston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cargo area measurements?

Hello all - new member here, who's looking into getting an extended length cargo Aerostar for a work and toy hauling vehicle.

In all my searches, I have not been able to find dimensions of the cargo area, no matter how well I google. Anyone have this information? If not, could someone with a tape measure tell me what the length, width and height is of the cargo area in their extended length van is? (I'm assuming the cargo model would be the same as the passenger model except for the few inches of interior panels.)

Thanks so much,

- Erston

Old 04-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not completely sure, but I do know that you can lay 4x8 panels in there easily.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Erston
New User
Re: Cargo area measurements?

Thanks khantyranitar, that is good to know!

I'm really curious as to the height of the opening, as I'm wondering if I can get a motorcycle in there (my business is with motorcycles, and it would be nice to haul the smaller bikes around without a trailer).

I'd ask about bumper height, but then I read the threads about the rear coils and shocks so I figure that measurement will change once I get the rear end up to snuff. :-)

Cheers,

- Erston

Old 04-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Erston
Hello all - new member here, who's looking into getting an extended length cargo Aerostar for a work and toy hauling vehicle.

- Erston
Well, I'll tell you about my experience about a year ago. I have a '91 and a '93, both of them extended. I purchased a riding lawn mower from about 90 minutes away from where I live from Home Depot. I had the seats removed and asked them to help me load it up. The attendant was SURE that it would not fit because this size of mower does NOT fit in any minivan. I measured it. Twice actually, and told her that it would fit. No, I was informed. "Many people have tried it and you can't get this size into any minivan".
She ate her words when I drove off with the lawn mower in the back of my Aerostar.
For room, there is no comparison compared to other minivans.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:56 AM
rlmdad
Senior User
Clearance at the rear hatch opening is 45 1/2 inches and inside the van is 47 inches to the interior roof panel on my 92 3.0L extended. Naturally, clearance at the sliding door is less than at the rear hatch approx. 43 inches from top step to top of opening.

Ron

Last edited by rlmdad; 04-16-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Erston
New User
Thanks, Ron!

It looks like I'll be able to get smaller bikes inside there - no big cruisers or GoldWings, but sport bikes and such should fit fine. Plus, the ability to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood... wow, how cool!

Great story, Kruse! It looks like ATVs would fit well in there too, if someone was in to those. Pretty big for a "mini-van".

Thanks again, all!

- Erston

Old 04-16-2005, 05:03 PM
cbr900
Senior User
I have used mine to haul my son's honda cr85 to races and even had my own honda cbr900rr in there, it was a tight sqeeze but I got it in, ripped the head liner apart when we took it out though.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:32 PM
rlmdad
Senior User
Erston,

Yes, it is impressive the size of materials you can haul in the Aerostar. I've even been able to get 4X8 sheets in without taking out the rear bench seats, just lay the seat backs down, cover with old blanket to avoid damage, and be careful fitting sheets in through the hatch opening.

Ron

Old 04-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have also hauled 12 foot borads completely inside the van. They were 1x6 inch planks, and we laid them across the seats and up onto the dash. If I had to brake hard, it might slide through the front window, but hey, they were completely inside, with the hatch closed. How many minivans can boast that feat?

Old 04-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Erston
New User
Thanks for the feedback, all! I wanted to let you know that you have talked me into an Aerostar! I won an auction this afternoon and it'll be here sometime tomorrow afternoon. Woohoo! :-) (the link wasn't working, but it was item number 4542837007, or try here).

'89 Aerostar Cargo, extended wheel base. 3.0l, auto (sigh, would have liked a stick) with A/C and a tape deck. No side windows, just the rear cargo door windows and the front door windows.

There's no rear seats or headliner, so I don't have to worry about damaging those if I try to put a bike in there... and it is really cool to know that I can put 10-12 foot lumber in there if I need to. I suspect that it'll mostly be for hauling supplies for my motorcycle seat business... but you never know when you might need to haul something big, eh?

Thanks again all for the help!

- Erston

Old 04-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All posts here a good reason why Ford should have continued building the Aerostar. Rear wheel drive, smaller than a full size van, yet much more versitle than a Windstar regular or cargo FWD, or Ford's current minivan. It might not set sales volume records, but I'm sure it could be a great niche van, appreciated by informative owners who know what this type of van can do, contractors, businesses, and regular owners who like to haul / tow. ED

Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Torsen Rick
Senior User
I was able to put a complete, assembled twin sized bed in the back with the seats out, with mattress and box spring. There was enough room above to have slept in the bed too...