2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miss, Rough Idle + Engine Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:23 AM
lardman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Miss, Rough Idle + Engine Lights!

Well, my truck is in the shop for the first time (just over 10k miles). Started it yesterday morning, put it in reverse and felt a "miss" from the engine and the wrench light illuminated. Put it back in park, turned the ignition off, then on again, no problems, drove 50 miles to work without incident.

Started truck to go home, felt a "miss", wrench illuminated, started running rough, turned off. Turned on again, still running rough, wrench illuminated, put in reverse to limp to the dealer around the corner, engine almost stalled, and the engine light joins the wrench.

Headed for the dealer, truck ran rough and shifted weird/hard...vibrated pretty bad too. Praying it has nothing to do with my Airaid Jr...fix won't be covered under warranty. I can't believe how many TSBs there are for this:
05-5-15 ROUGH IDLE - 5.4L AND 4.6L ENGINES
05-4-17 INTERMITTENT ROUGH IDLE - NON-COMMANDED EGR FLOW
05-3-1 MAF DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE TIP - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH EGR SYSTEM MODULE (ESM)
04-17-4 MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED - SYSTEM LEAN DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) - SERVICE TIPS
04-16-1 ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - WDS COP KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS

Some don't reference rough idle in the title but deal with the MAF...thought they may be applicable.

Anyway, wish me luck. Hopefully it is just a PCM reflash and I can be on my way.

Last edited by lardman; 04-13-2005 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Lardman, sorry to hear of your troubles and wish you the best of luck in this. Did they at least give you a rental?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:47 AM
lardman
Elder User
Glenn, Yes I got a rental only because I have the ESP warranty. Dealers around here seem pretty strict about the rental car thing. I just checked online and they completed a EEC quick diagnosis. Not sure what that is but it was listed under the warranty column (not the customer pay column)...not getting my hopes up.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:46 AM
lardman
Elder User
Got my truck back yesterday. The dealer said I needed the pcm reflash from Special Service Message (SSM) 17646. Runs good, throttle lag is noticably less too. Also replaced some O rings on my AC system (didn't cool the truck fast enough). The system also had a low coolant charge. For once, I was impressed with a service department. Got me in at 5 pm and got it back at 3 the next day.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
davesfirstford04
New User
I've had this problem and my truck is in the shop as I type. I was in the touchless car wash with the air cond. on for the first time. It just quit. Check engine light was on and it would turn over, but not start. There were plenty of people in line behind me at the car wash to help me push. The dealer replaced a PCM relay and did a reflash. 10 minutes after I picked it up, I restarted it, it almost stalled and the check engine light came back on. The dealer has ordered a new processer.
A few months ago my wife said it was running rough and the wrench light came on. She shut it off and the light didn't come back on after the restart. Ran just fine as well. The dealer checked the codes two days later and found no bad code for the last 500 or so starts. All of this after they moved the vibration problem from 40-60 mph to 60+ mph by giving me 4 new tires, a driveshaft and ring and pinion gears.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:22 AM
lardman
Elder User
Sorry to hear about your troubles, Dave. Glad mine restarted and I had a dealer about .5 miles away from work. Keep us posted...

Old 04-23-2005, 09:44 PM
davesfirstford04
New User
Question New PCM

Well I hope this is it! It took 5 days for a new PCM to come from Ford. The truck seems to respond better that ever. No stalling yet, it was raining real hard here the last few days....so far so good. I can't wait 'till my new brake control comes in for my trailer so I can tow with this truck for the first time. I was joking with the service manager how the truck has been out of service for 15 days and they have "fixed" two different problems with three tries each time. I would like to put some miles on this truck!

Old 04-26-2005, 05:48 AM
lardman
Elder User
Good luck! Mine is still running good too. RPMs are a little higher on startup and tend to stay high when it is cold out, until it warms up. My first pull of the year is coming up in 2 weeks. Taking the family camping with our 25' travel trailer. Hopefully you got the Tekonsha Prodigy controller

Old 04-27-2005, 09:34 PM
davesfirstford04
New User
Talking let's go camping!

Lardman,
Yes I just got my prodigy in the mail the other day. Looks like an easy install, since I ordered the Ford wireing harness. Not a bad price at $125 total. My local RV dealer wanted $260! I can't wait to hook up my '04 SCREW to my '04 Jayco 24' feather light. I'm sure it will tow much better than the '00 GMC Safari van that I used last year. We're headed for the Finger Lakes for Memorial Day weekend. Good luck and have fun!
Dave

Last edited by davesfirstford04; 04-27-2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 04-28-2005, 05:14 AM
lardman
Elder User
Good choice, Dave I went to several shops and got prices from $240-300! I told them all I could get it online for $99. They just choked! I have a 25' Jayco Kiwi. The truck pulls it good. I just got mirror extensions yesterday. **** has them now for the power mirrors (PN# 11801 & 2). They fit good and you can still see the turnsignal under the mirror. http://www.rpminnovations.com/ford_towing.htm
I just ordered the husky mud guards too. I have the factory running boards and they are the only ones who make guards to go around them. The kids are itching to go (1.5 and 3.5 yrs old). We are heading to The Pinery in Ontario, Canada in a few weeks...starting early and have trips planned for every other weekend. ENJOY!

Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
davesfirstford04
New User
Thumbs up Let's hope the dog likes riding in the back!

I got the same reaction from my local RV dealer. I'm gonna get molded mud flaps and chrome nerf bars as soon as the pain from the fiberglass cap payment goes away. It looks nice, Leer cap, painted to match, frameless windows and the rear 1/4 vent windows. My kids are 15, 13 and 7. They like the rear bunkhouse, but my next trailer will have a slide out as well. We bought the truck so we could take longer trips than the short weekend trips to the state parks that we have been taking. This July we are off to Ashville NC, for a family reunion.

Old 04-28-2005, 02:48 PM
davesfirstford04
New User
Thanks for the link for the mirrors. I have a set for my GMC, about the same price.