1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Expy Brake Contoller Wired Already?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
bigexpo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Expy Brake Contoller Wired Already?

hey i have a 99 eb expo, and awas wondering if it had the brake contoller wires alrady run under the truck. i have heard that if you have the trailering package it comes with it but i dont know if i have it or not because i bought it from a private seller. also if you know what came on the towing package that year i would appreiate it if you could tell me thanks.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 AM
scholzee
Senior User
Not sure on 99 but 2000 up to 2002 with the trailer package has a 7 pin connector back by the trailer hitch. Under the dash by the steering column is a connector, you get the mating connector in the glove box when the truck is new. The mating connector just has wires hanging off it, you connect those wires to your brake controller. Plug it in under the dash and you brake controller signal will go to the 7 pin connector in the rear. If you do not have the mating connector that hooks to your brake controller you can get one at a Ford dealer, I think they are less than $10.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 PM
pitrow
Elder User
I have the same question. I don't think the '99s do come with trailer brake wiring, as it only has the 4 way connector in back, not the 4 and 7. I haven't looked under there yet, but if there's only a four way I don't think they have run wires for the 7 way. I would like to find out for sure, but it's been raining too hard for me to want to lay under it and find out.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:12 PM
dustyjoe
Freshman User
I suspect they are all prewired, tow package or not. I recently put a brake controller on my 4.2 6 cyl 98 f150. Everything worked except the brake wire. However, after a little looking I found it wired all the way back to the rear bumper in the wiring harness on the drivers side. It ended up in a rubber boot. The wire to look for is blue and if your truck is like mine simply remove the end or cut the end from the boot and splice an extension wire onto it directly to your trailer brakes. Happy hunting, I'm pretty sure its in there.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:08 PM
bigexpo
Senior User
hey thanks for the input. i think i found the connector under the dash. is it just hanging ot is it connected to something. becasue i think that i found it it has a blue,red,yeallow and another color but im not sure if its it or not.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It it wasn't already moved or attached to a controller, the connector should be held to the vertical brace under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. The connector should be held by a plastic 'bayonet' to the right side of the brace. It is always hard to find one for the first time--after you know what to look for, its a lot easier.

The connector has 6 pin positions, but only 4 or 5 wires going into it, and it is 3 pins over 3 pins, not 6 in a row.

Last edited by Mud Doc; 04-18-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:39 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
I concur with Scholzee.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Ayrstrm
New User
I just traded in my 97 XLT Expy for a 2004 EB Expy. The dash doesn't curl under like the old models, and I'm wondering where I should hook up my brake controller. Can anyone with a similiar model tell me where they have attached the controller bracket?

John