2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stained Fabric Covered Under Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 PM
greenroses
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stained Fabric Covered Under Warranty?

OK, a lot of it's my fault. (I have four kids) But my complaint is that even water stains the fabric. Is that right? When I'm getting in and out of my truck on a rainy day should I settle for water stains?

Have any of you had this issue covered by your dealer?

Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Johnnyboy04
Junior User
My seats look horrible from water stains. Im usually the only one in my truck and I take very good care of it. Still, I cannot keep the seats from staining even after the interior protectant spray at the dealer when I bought it. The dealer service manager looked at it and said it wasnt a warranty issue. I raised a little hell and they agreed to have a ford rep look at the stains. When that happens I will let you know how it goes. Good Luck

John

Old 04-08-2005, 05:45 AM
lardman
Elder User
More info: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=322635

Most dealerships will steam clean and have a protectant applied for you at no cost. Mine weren't too bad so I vacuumed and bought seat covers-I would suggest you do the same. It isn't a cheap investment and I agree you shouldn't have to...but the cards are stacked against the owners. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Per Ford's warranty booklet, under "What is not covered:"

"...customer-applied chemicals or ACCIDENTAL SPILLS..."

I don't know what the problem is, I've used 2 automotive fabric cleaners (Turtle Wax and Tuff Stuff), and both have cleaned the seats just fine.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:44 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something in the seat material, not on all the seats but some, make them harder to clean.
I have the very light gray cloth seats in my STX. and they will stain from distilled water.

The good news in my Hoover steam cleaner will clean them up, just takes a two to five cleanings. Bad news is that can't be good for the foam...

I am still looking for aftermarket seat covers, some that don't look lousy on the middle seat. Some of the best on the market look great on the buckets, but look like potato sacks on the center.
Chris

Old 04-09-2005, 02:12 PM
STXTEXAS
Junior User
I'm going to take my truck to Mexico and have my seats redone in leather for $300.00. Labor is very cheap over there and they do a great job!!.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:28 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please post some pics of the job, STXTEXAS, when you get it done.
Only thing I would worry about is on the trucks with the sensor under the seat, there are many warnings in the Service CD about messing with that cushion. Don't mean that you shouldn't do it, just would like to be sure the guy doing the actual work was a careful sorta guy. The cushion, with the sensor pad etc. is 840 bucks from Ford. Kinda delicate.
Chris

Old 04-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1956MarkII
Per Ford's warranty booklet, under "What is not covered:"

"...customer-applied chemicals or ACCIDENTAL SPILLS..."

I don't know what the problem is, I've used 2 automotive fabric cleaners (Turtle Wax and Tuff Stuff), and both have cleaned the seats just fine.
This issue is that the seat material should NOT stain from rainwater or snow. I've had almost 40 vehicles so far and none have had such poor interior material.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:51 AM
lardman
Elder User
I agree with BiggZ and Chris. BTW-I got my covers from f150store.com and I am still waiting for my replacement headrest covers (seams/velcro came apart). The manufacturer is Caltrends in California. Also, My center console will not shut with the center seat cover on it. Caltrends had no fix. Going to try shimming the latch with some wahsers. I don't recommend getting these covers. The center seat cover does look like a potato sack. Gotta have it though...until I can get the wife to stop passing chicken nuggets back to the kids

Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
04nibbler
New User
Has anyone had any luck cleaning there seats whithout a steam cleaner?.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM
04nibbler
New User
has anyone tried scotch guard.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Dazz
Senior User
Seat Covers

Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Please post some pics of the job, STXTEXAS, when you get it done.
Only thing I would worry about is on the trucks with the sensor under the seat, there are many warnings in the Service CD about messing with that cushion. Don't mean that you shouldn't do it, just would like to be sure the guy doing the actual work was a careful sorta guy. The cushion, with the sensor pad etc. is 840 bucks from Ford. Kinda delicate.
Chris
Chris
One of the reasons I did not want personal custom made seat covers was all the electric under the seats. Upholstery shops are notorious for wanting to take seats out of the vehicle for better access. Too, the cost of custom mades is nearly prohibitive, unless you own shares in Petroleum.

I have put approx 12 seats of seat covers on that were pre-mades. They don't always fit well, but we must have protection for the seats. After shopping at length I chose www.shearcomfort.com. They make them as you order them. They guarantee the fit. However, I have never seen seat covers "fit" unless done by a upholstery shop. But my seat covers from Shear Comfort fit well, but here and there I had to use wide velcro and sail-needled extra elastic to get that custom look. I am well pleased with my fit. I have a 40/20/40 and the mid-20 looks great. The snap on the lid works well.

The instrucltion say to put the botton of the seats on first. But I chose to do my mid-20 first. This allowed better access for my hand. To do the bottom of the seats I did the back shirt tail of the covers first to allow easy threading of the shirt tail under the backrest. Once the shirt tail was fully threaded, then I did the front of the seat covers which lead to a nice fit.

Headrests were a chore. A single person needs a big vice to hold the headrest while fitting on the cover. Pardon the phrase, but the headrest cover is not velcroed, and is put on like an undersized cxxdrom. If two people and a vice are utilized it is an easy task.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I bought a rear seat cover for my dog to lay on in my 04 SCab.I got it from AutoAnything, it was about $170.After install, the straps that are supposed to hold the corners in place on the seat back rest do not work.The straps will not stay in place.If you just touch the seat back the cover comes off of corners.I called AutoAnything and they told me to call the manufacturer.I called the manufacturer in California and told the problem to three people.They all wanted my phone number so they could call and tell me of a fix.Well, I ended up calling back two more times without anyone truly taking an interest in helping me.I gave up.I got tired of talking to deaf ears.I just thought I would share another aftermarket disaster with you.(This still is not as bad as the Volant problems.)Good Luck!