Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T/C lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 10:53 PM
96farmer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T/C lock

Hey everybody. Is it possible to do a T/C lock on a manual powerstroke? If so, how does one go about doing so? I did a search for T/C lock, and didn't come up with anything. I was just wondering if it was possible and if so, how do you do it? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 843 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally Posted by 96farmer
Hey everybody. Is it possible to do a T/C lock on a manual powerstroke? If so, how does one go about doing so? I did a search for T/C lock, and didn't come up with anything. I was just wondering if it was possible and if so, how do you do it? Thanks.
I am not sure what you are asking here. A manual PSD means "stick shift" to me. No torque converter. That is automatic transmission only.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:33 AM
96farmer
Freshman User
Alright, thanks, I guess I misunderstood exactly what a torque converter was. Sorry about the dumb post. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 AM
96ford4x4turbodiesel
Senior User
do they make t/c lock switches for auto powerstrokes...a buddy of mine put one on his dodge cummins and he said the e4od already has a t/c lock on it...that they dont make one for powerstrokes...

Old 04-08-2005, 02:59 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Smile

Just so ya know....the TQ convertor is the big steel donut looking thing that gets bolted to the crankshaft and then gets slid on the splines of the tranny input shaft. It is (in very basic terms...) a viscous-coupling device. As the crank turns a fan type device inside the donut housing the fluid is pushed thru the blades of the fan type thing that is connected to the tranny input shaft by the splines. On newer convertors there is also a electronicly activated clutch type device that actually locks the convertor solid. This eliminates all of the residual "slip" of the viscous coupling. On a traditional automatic tranny that has no lock up, your tranny is always slipping and giving away some percent of driving power to that slip and heat that is created. This is why a tranny almost feels like it shifted again as the convertor locks up. On a manual tranny you have no convertor, you only have a clutch disk that presses on a pressure plate/flywheel. When your foot is not pushing the clutch lever, you are locked solid...unless the clutch is worn out. Hope this makes sense, I tried to make it easy to understand for those that may not know :]

Old 04-08-2005, 04:26 PM
96farmer
Freshman User
Thanks fordtrkpuller. That helps a lot. I now understand what a T/C really is. Sorry about the dumb post. Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 96ford4x4turbodiesel
do they make t/c lock switches for auto powerstrokes...a buddy of mine put one on his dodge cummins and he said the e4od already has a t/c lock on it...that they dont make one for powerstrokes...
I don't know if "they" make them... but you can!, do a search for t/c lockup and i'm sure theres a write up on here somewhere... And we do have a t/c lock already, but it only kicks in when the PCM wants it to. if you want more control over it, then you can install a switch. I'm concitering one for mine because i have the crappy NAW6 PCM, and the t/c locks/unlocks at exactly 35 Mph no mater what. I'd like to put one on so i can drag it down to 30 (the limit on the roads around here) so i don't need to be trolling at 34 at 2000 RPM (dang 4.10's)

-Robb

Old 04-08-2005, 08:13 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did one on mine.

here's the link to the thread on it. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=317681

Diesel Rod

Old 04-08-2005, 08:32 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
Originally Posted by Robbgt
I'm concitering one for mine because i have the crappy NAW6 PCM, and the t/c locks/unlocks at exactly 35 Mph no mater what. I'd like to put one on so i can drag it down to 30 (the limit on the roads around here) so i don't need to be trolling at 34 at 2000 RPM (dang 4.10's)

-Robb
Why not update to the TDE1 code? From what I've read and heard the T/C will stay locked down till the thing darn near stalls on you. Another bonus is supposedly better glow plug logic (don't really know what thats all about though).
Might be an option for you. I have the NAW6 code as well and I'm pondering the reflash for the same reasons.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:43 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
gentlemen, its your lucky day, read the sig.

I had a crappy NAW4 in the '96. I had Jody Tipton, of DP-Tuner reflash mine for $75!!!! and a 75 HP code put on it at the same time. SOOOO much cheaper then a chip or tuner.

The TDE1 will still unlock when you step on the brakes, like all others, and it will still unlock at 35 and below. the glow plug logic is that it supposedly doesn't use the glow plugs if the truck is warm, the WTS light still comes on, but the plugs dont cycle.

overall I am happy with it, its in a buddies truck right now and it realy woke his up, a lil smoke in my truck, very lil in his, 1200* on the pyro, and 23 PSI of boost.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/

Diesel Rod

Last edited by 444dieselrod; 04-08-2005 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 PM
hodgekuter
Senior User
Talking

Originally Posted by 96farmer
Alright, thanks, I guess I misunderstood exactly what a torque converter was. Sorry about the dumb post. Thanks anyway.

There are no dumb posts. Now you have learned. The torque converter takes the place of the clutch and pressure plate.

Good luck
Bill in KY
'01 PSD 129000 miles and still going great.
'05 PSD and hoping for the same performance. So far so good. Only about 6K.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks mjwhip2 and diesel rod! yea i was already looking into jody doing a reflash for me... haven't called him yet. Unfortunately I can't afford the downtime on the truck... maby he can burn a chip that over rides the stock NAW6 to the TDE1 on there! I should give him a call... thanks again.

-Robb