1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999-2002 F-350 - Best Model Year??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999-2002 F-350 - Best Model Year??

Hi All,

First time post here, very grateful for any input. I have been lurking about, on and off for a few months doing a bit of research before purchasing an F-350 (or 250). I need a tow/recreational vehicle to haul my 5000lb travel trailer up one of the biggest mountain passes you can possibly imagine. For those familiar with British Columbia's highways, you will know that the Coquihalla Summit has a reputation for destroying vehicles. I need to go up and down this hill most summer/fall weekends. I figure about 10,000 miles per year towing in mountainous terrain, and another 10,000 not. A bit of city, but mostly highway miles. My Grand Cherokee is not the right tool for the job and will soon be relegated to grocery duty.

Budget constrains me to a used vehicle, so I am looking at 1999-2002 F-350(250) 4x4 CREW cab, long box with auto tranny. I am still undecided on Gas vs Diesel. Originally I was looking only at diesel but have now broadened my search to V10's as well. Given the recent pricing trend with diesel being higher in price locally, the difference in operating costs is no longer as compelling an arguement. (here is a handy tool to determine breakeven mileage mileage.xls )

Although the extra torque of the diesel would be nice, I think the V10 has more than enough torque for my needs, and will be more convenient than diesel considering things like warm up time, fuel availability, smell and noise (or perfume and music as some would say)

So...... questions:
1) Are there certain model years to be wary of, due to common mechanical issues? The auto tranny seems to be mentioned often enough, as well as front end issues. Are these problems more prevalent in certain model years?
2) Other recommendations? I don't think axle ratio will matter too much with only a 5000lb trailer..........
3) Any other advise for a first timer F350 owner before I take the plunge??

Many Thanks,
Steve

Old 04-07-2005, 04:43 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
The newer ones, i think starting in 02, have a dana 60 front axle rather than the dana 50 like the 99-01s have. Also if you were to decide on the 02s i think their diesels are bumped up in power a bit from previous years also. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
And:
The later model V10 engines have a little more power, that is if you decide on the gas engine. The 7.3 is hard to beat in any of those years for steep grades with a heavy load - even though 5K is not really that heavy it'll feel like it.

Also - welcome to FTE

Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 PM
MRBASS
Elder User
In your case i would not even think automatic, gas or diesel. I would be thinking 6 speed, with a powerstroke for sure. Serious hill climbing with a 5000lb Trailer is where the powerstroke will out perform the V-10 both in mileage and performance. I'm not bashing the V10 at all, helluva motor for sure.Maybe you could beg borrow or steal one for a weekend and make a trip and see for yourself.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
Certainly the 6 spd diesel would be the best performer in the mountains. If I were the sole operator that would be my first choice. Over the past year that I have been watching, I have seen next to no 6spds, mostly automatic transmissions.
However, given that my 112lb wife will also be driving, I am concerned about clutch weight. And there is no way 'last minute Lauren' will have the patience to let a diesel come to temperature before driving.

Big Orn, you think a 5K trailer will still feel 'heavy' on the steeps with the V10? That concerns me. One of my wife's criteria is that we be able to crest the Coquihalla without much drop in roadspeed........ She was dissapointed with a buddy's auto Duramax when we slowed to 40-50 mph over the crest.

That might tip the scales in favour of diesel despite fuel prices, extra cost and other conveniences

Thanks for the Welcome and the input.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:48 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the terrain up there. You say the pass is steep, but what is the elevation? If it's pretty high up, the forced-induction (turbo) diesel will do a lot better in the thin air. If it's a steep climb but at relatively low elevations, either engine will work. 5K isn't that heavy of a load, but if you opt for the V10, look for one with 4.30 gears- just to help you over that hill.

Either way, I like my '02 better than the '00 and '01s before it. I wouldn't get a '99 as they seem to be missing some of the "little" things that came along in '00+. Specifically, the telescoping tow mirrors- an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE option when towing!

Old 04-11-2005, 12:41 AM
greygriz
Freshman User
I know your terrain

Hi ,saw your post and had to reply.I have a 99 s/duty c/cab 4x4 7.3 with the 6 spd manual.I had other Fords and pulled thru the Coquihalla all the time.This one straightens out the road and hills might pull me down a gear if the hunting trip was really good.
Seriously you cannot go wrong with these trucks but be carefull it is not one of the ones coming out of the Alta oil fields,they have low miles but alot of hours.Just have a good look underneath the cab-if its one big long rock dent and beaten-walk away.The best source I saw for good used was in the horse magazines-they used them for pulling to shows,well kept and clean.good luck

Old 04-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellow Peril
Big Orn, you think a 5K trailer will still feel 'heavy' on the steeps with the V10? That concerns me. One of my wife's criteria is that we be able to crest the Coquihalla without much drop in roadspeed........ She was dissapointed with a buddy's auto Duramax when we slowed to 40-50 mph over the crest.

That might tip the scales in favour of diesel despite fuel prices, extra cost and other conveniences

Thanks for the Welcome and the input.
Yes, you'll feel the tug. That's where the torque of the PSD really comes in handy. If you were considering another gas engine in comparison to the V10, then there are none that can compare, IMHO. But, torque tells the tale on steep grades with 5K and the PSD does have more.

You've got to look at the big picture, though. That's what many folks fail to do. I know a dozen people that bought the PSD for mountain travels, but only pull the grades once or twice a year.

In my opinion, the V10 won't grunt that much with the 5K and add to that the high RPM capabilities, you won't lose much speed either. It might sound like it's wound up like a 9-day alarm clock, but that's when it really begins to breathe.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
Good Input, Thanks!

I hope to get out and drive a couple over the next few weeks. No big rush, I am gonna sit back and wait for the right one. I'll definately watch out for the oil field beaters.
Sounds like either choice will work out. I will likely be happiest with the diesel though.

Steve

Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000-2002 are the hot ticket. If you go with the V10 you get the PI version, and if you get the PSD you get the good reliable 7.3L instead of the sickliter. 4.30 gearing really makes the V10 come alive without killing fuel mileage.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Yellow Peril
Junior User
Well I managed to make it through the trailering season without the new truck. The Ministress of Finance (spouse) has given the approval to begin test driving with a more serious intent to purchase.

I have pretty much narrowed my selection to a 2002 F-350 Lariat Crew long box. However, a 2003 Chev 2500 Duramax just came available in our price range.... it drove beautifully. It is physically smaller and is less of an adjustment for my wife to operate... Is there any reason to avoid this vehicle?

Has anyone bought their super duty over a GMC and why?

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:33 PM
dmp437
Elder User
I have GM Employee Discount (the good ones that the public doesn't get) and the Silverado HD's are built 20 miles from my house. I drive a SuperDuty: enough said

The SuperDuty is the best built truck, period. The armed forces of the U.S., Israel, and Ireland use diesel F350's pretty much stock. The V10 will hold it's own with the Durasux diesel and the Powerstroke will blow it away. The SuperDuty has the widest cab and the most interior room of any fullsize truck (excepting the new Dodge MegaCab, but they're all over $40,000) and the highest resale value.
Around here (GM town) you lease the Silverado HD when you're still working for GM, you buy a SuperDuty when you retire because by then you usually have a serious trailer to tow (30 plus feet, normally a 5'er).

Old 09-20-2005, 03:16 AM
greygriz
Freshman User
Hi Yellow Peril, I live local to you and pull the same hills. I have a 99 7.3 c/cb 4x4 with 3.73 gears and the 6spd manual.My old girl is starting to show her age but still the fuel mileage is respectable-loaded up from the valley to Prince George without fueling is not bad. The auto tranny's have their problems but a friend is a mechanic at Ford and says with the 2001 on synthetic fluid,a good cooler, not a bad tranny.Any of the other years on our hills eat them-every 100,000 they need to be "freshened up" with a set of clutch packs.Two guys at work have them-get expensive. The front end on the 99 is weak on the brakes,the rotors always warped on me coming home downhill.I changed over to the 2001 rotor and caliper and have not had a problem since-a different offset and heavier caliper thickness.As far as the choice over gas or diesel I would not change,the v10 is good but the terrain answers the question.Here we go with the friend statement again but I was in his 2002 loaded and they pull "almost" as well as my tired old girl,300,000 km on original inj and IAPCV sensor.Good luck on finding what you want.A suggestion-check the local horse magazines,the trucks in there are usually in good shape and you can find manual trannys there more often.Farm boys like the gears.See ya.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do the Coke 4 times a year with my slide in Camper total weigh of 11,100.
I did this with my 95 PSD , my 00 PSD and my 04 PSD . They all pulled it easy and now so does my new 3 valve V10. The Coke is steep but the elevation is not real high so the V10 does well here. Both the 6.0 and the V10 pull past the snow sheds faster then my 7.3s did but I love the 7.3s and if I was buying a used SD with a PSD it would be the 7.3.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Yellow Peril

I have pretty much narrowed my selection to a 2002 F-350 Lariat Crew long box. However, a 2003 Chev 2500 Duramax just came available in our price range.... it drove beautifully. It is physically smaller and is less of an adjustment for my wife to operate... Is there any reason to avoid this vehicle?

Has anyone bought their super duty over a GMC and why?

Thanks.
As much as I hate to admit it, my 2 friends with Duramaxs have been very happy. These guys aren't weenies. One is a cattleman and drives the snot out of it, and the other develops truck stops, and also is a rancher. He is on his second Duramax (Izuzu diesel). They have been very good trucks for them. I don't like 'em cuz they're ugly and their frames stick down below the cab like an afterthought. Don't ignore them though if you like them.

Quick Reply: 1999-2002 F-350 - Best Model Year??