Sponsored by:

axle 8.8 inch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
thorman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axle 8.8 inch question

am new to site,does anyone know about the 8.8 inch axle with torsen gear locker thats in my 03 level 2 ranger,oem, have leaking oil seal to replace,can i double-up the wheel bearings-side by side for increased durability?has anyone done this before?

Old 04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No you can't double up the wheel bearings, and get used to repllacing those wheel seals, and probably the bearings too, they are the same bearings as used in the Chev 10 bolt rearends (exactly the same bearing in fact), and GM has had problems with that setup for 30 yrs. BTW if a bearing does go out you may also have to replace the axle cause the bearing uses the axle as the inner race, and the rollers actually run on the axle itself, just like GM

Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
rlh
Posting Guru
What you can do is convert to 9" toronio style ends that take the Large bearings. It also eliminates the c-clip. Thats the setup I'm currently running on my dd bronco.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
k...i'm gunna have to disagree.. mine were replaced at 140000 miles just cause i was regearing and figured i'd change them out..original wheel seals, and original bearings, in perfect condition. 8.8's are darn good axles.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
thorman
Senior User
Unhappy thank you for info

I got it back on the road for now.after close look appears that wheel is newer and tire has gouges.original took side impact,damaged axle -housing has small stress cracks in oil seal area,i'm bummed out any advice on repairing axle tube besides welding,which would be temp at best. you can double the bearing IF you substitute a bearing with its own seal in place of the oil seal would have to find at bearing shop i think this is the trick i heard of before

Old 04-08-2005, 02:40 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
first off you cannot double up the bearings on an 8.8 like I said the bearing rides on the axle shaft therefore you can't have a sealed bearing plus there is not enough room on that shaft for 2 bearings, and second there is not enough room for a double bearing in the end of the axle tube so you would have to both machine the axle down (not a good idea thinning an already marginally thick axle), and putting a different end on your axle housing, and if your gonna do that just put on 9" axle housing ends which you can get from summit, or some other such place that have even bigger heavier bearings if you so desire.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:20 AM
thorman
Senior User
the 8.8 ford put under the level2

is come to find out a 3600 lb axle according to vin info.the replacement bearing for other rangers with 8.8's they first gave me was about 4 mm too small O.D. they put a larger one in .Is this the large bearing i haerd about? the other side is perfect shape.the first oil seal was also too small.I'm sure the impact must have been massive to break a forged alcoa wheel of this design and stress fracture my rt.tube.perhaps needs no upgrading,just a return to oem shape?

Old 04-09-2005, 11:44 AM
rlh
Posting Guru
Thorman,

That sounds like a bearing repair kit to me. It is a bearing that rides on a "fresh" area of the axle shaft to allow a proper seal so that the new seal isn't over whelmed. It is different for conversion to 9" large bearing housing ends.

Old 04-12-2005, 06:54 PM
thorman
Senior User
Smile more disinformation from thorman

saw a kit to put the "heavy duty 8.8 ford under your xj,yj,zj? jeep " They were refering to the "one from the Explorer,H-Duty w/31 spline axles,traction -lok diff.must not be so bad,they take lots of abuse from the mustang folks,too

Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that trac lock is fine with stock tires...and even better in mustangs when both tires usually have good traction already on asphalt or concrete...throw 33's or 35's on a trac lock however and its gunna gernade in a pretty quick fashion. Off roading it will only speed that up. I went through three of them before just upgrading...

Old 04-13-2005, 08:28 AM
thorman
Senior User
up grade to what?

or do what to what i have? i don't think i'll even need or want the benefits AND problems of larger than 33x12.5 s.friend has lifted 150, 35 inch, enough lift for tires.he drags the torsion bar crossmember before i do on 31,s.scale and wheelbase are on my side here.Has anyone put the coilover kit on a ranger? getting rid of the crossmember and bars would do wonders for clearance.the kit i saw,for front end,had good travel also. this rig is driver,only truck and bike hauler.I enjoy long walks on the beach ,and not wasting my ride on rocks and the core wheeling stuff.Would like the adjustability of nice coilovers in the front to level, balance suspension.

Last edited by thorman; 04-13-2005 at 08:42 AM. Reason: addition