Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fully Hydraulic Steering/Dana 60 Swap

Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fully Hydraulic Steering/Dana 60 Swap

I am planning in the very near future to install a Dana 60 front from an 89 F-350 in my 70 F-250. My question is if anyone knows of a company i can get the parts for the hydraulic steering. I saw a company that made a kit on Trucks awhile back but cant remember what it was called. I have numerous hydraulic rams sitting around and I understand that you can use the stock ps pump (85 F-250) for my 460. Also if anyone (Pro) can help me on the Dana 60 swap like how far am i going go have to move the spring hangers outside of the frame. I dont want anymore lift, the front mounts will not be much problem but i was wondering how i am going to do the shackles without lowering the front mounts. I understand that pro dropped his front mounts quite a bit and thus had to drop the shackles also...but how am i going to do this when i dont want to lower the front mounts. I am just trying to get as much info before i tear into this project so i can get it done and get back to breaking more stuff. Any help is appreciated...later.

Last edited by Thomsen; 04-06-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
sounds like you have a great plan but you need to read billavistas hydro article. its long but you will learn something and then you will know how to setup your system right the first time!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ing/index.html

-cutts-

Old 04-06-2005, 03:12 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I wouldn't even screw with trying to figure out full hydo myself. Call Sean at POS: 334 567 7229. Just tell him what you have and what you want to do and he'll make it happen. The guy is as cool as hell and prices are excellent.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
The hydro set up that i saw on trucks was going on like a 40 something power wagon, he was installing rockies with 49s and fully hydro. You could use the stock ps pump, the two hoses from the ps pump went into a box that you weld/bolt to the frame where the steering box used to be. the box has 4 hydro fittings. . Your steering shaft would go into the box and the other two hydro fittings sent hoses to the hydraulic ram thus moving it from side to side, put one end of hydro ram on tie rod, other on axle housing...quite simple actually. No steering box, pitman arm, or drag links. If i could just think of the friggin company.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Ronin4x4
Senior User
Are you going to be driving this on the street? I remember some debate if full hydro was legal or not and don't think we ever really got an answer?

Old 04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
It depends on which state i think...but this thing has not seen the street in nearly 3 years already...not even close to street legal now.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Ronin4x4
Senior User
Well then, I guess it doesn't really matter I saw that issue of trucks, that dodge is going to be cool!

Old 04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Yeah even though it is a dodge that thing is gonna be bad...by any chance remember the company?

Old 04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Call Sean at POS!!!!! I don't remember the name of the company you're talking about, I can check when I get home if you want. But they're going to be BIG bucks compared to Performance Offroad Systems.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Ivan i just read that POS article on on pirate that fishy suggested...it looks like a pretty damn good deal. Thanks for the help. Any idea what it will run me minus the hydro ram?

Old 04-06-2005, 06:46 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Last time I talked to Sean a complete setup with ram, filter, hoses, steering valve, etc. was about $1500. That was for a double ended ram. I'd guess probably $1000-$1200 for that package without the ram but I'm really just guessing on that. Btw, if you can afford it I'd really recommend the double ended ram. They steer nicer (same in both directions, unlike a regular double acting ram) and sit in place of your tie rod which means less junk to go wrong.

Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Hehe that is just it...i dont know if i'll be able to afford it right now and i already have numerous hydro rams sitting around so that is what i'm gonna use for now. I'm really not looking forward to moving the spring mounts outward for the 89 dana 60...it looks like a friggin headache...especially the shackle setup...any thoughts? How much further outward will i have to move them.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
It won't be that bad to do. I can't give you exact numbers but I'd like to say you'll be moving the hangers and shackles out about 2.5-3" each. Just measure center to center on the spring perches of each, divide the difference by 2 and you're set. A little patience and a lot of welding is all you need.

Make sure you've got the right stroke and bore if you're using a different ram. Looks like Sean is out of town right now but if you let him know the specs on the rams you have he can tell you if they'll work or not.

Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The box you want is called an 'orbital valve'.

that might help

Old 04-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Sounds good Ivan...it'll be a little while till i get to the hydro steering, gotta get that axle under there first. The only question i have now is if i move the hangers out but do not lower them, how am i going to get the shackle back to where it was like in the stock location (shackle mounts in middle of frame now) but i'll have to build the shacke mount somewhat outside the frame. Will it be ok if i have a dropped shackle and not a dropped front mount?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fully Hydraulic Steering/Dana 60 Swap