Attention EFI people who want to tune.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attention EFI people who want to tune.

I've been trying to get some info about the EEC Tuner and Tweecer with no luck. I started a thread on the Tweecer support forum about this but there has been little interest. If you want aftermarket stuff for the 4.9 this is your chance to maybe make a difference. Go to this thread and let your voice be heard if you are interested in this. It might also help if you post what your processor number is. You can find the processor number on a white sticker on the computer, which is behind the driver's kick panel. My number is A0E1.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
please post!!!

Old 04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Argo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
please post!!!
I did it. I actually intend to leave my old girl alone, but I am willing to help my brothers out. So don't call BS on my post there.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 AM
rhetor
Posting Guru
bump...

There are plenty of people interested in turbocharging these puppies... they sure as hell aren't going to be using the stock computers...

Old 04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
rhetor
Posting Guru
i'm going to see if i can get my hands on some diagrams for the AOE1 and the computer Firguy, cocky as he is, suggested. I know when someone says "it's easy" that usually means you're going to break it, but its worth looking into.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
I've got acces to all the wiring diagrams, but it isn't as simple as just running a few wires. The truck must also be converted to mass air and all the pins in the wiring harness will have to be checked for correct position. Then if anything ever goes wrong with the truck that you need a shop to diagnose they won't be able to do anything with it. There is also the issue of tuning it. The truck runs pretty good with a stock tune, but will it run at all with a Mustang tune in it? Will you be starting from scratch guessing at what will make the truck run? Sounds like a huge PITA that could cripple my daily driver for a pretty good chunk of time. It would be easier to use a Lightning computer. It is speed density and batch fires two banks of 4 injectors each. And it pissed me off that he called me lazy. I'm getting ready to go over there and address that issue.

Last edited by Silver Streak; 04-07-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
rhetor
Posting Guru
i was also pretty pissed off, and wrote a good paragraph or two in the reply box, but decided it would be better to just drop it. He may seem like a feminine hygeine device at first glance, but why not give him the benefit of the doubt. He also seems knowledgable so it would be to our benefit to get on his good side.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:56 PM
fordman300
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that guy knows his stuff hes on www.ford-trucks.com all the time and is the owner of www.fordfuelinjection.com.he is cocky but listen to what he has to say

Old 04-07-2005, 02:57 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
SS, that guy is a complete tool. i wouldnt waste the time because hes never wrong and even if he is hes still right. i had it out with him on another forum and bluntly told him hes can ******* and to **** off. he lost a few people that were gunna purchase some stuff from him as well. me and rhetor already discussed that. but if u need to, i will back u up.

as for using the mustang ECU, that seems like a headache waiting to happen. im sorry but i dont feel like butchering my truck and computer system just because he says its easy.

Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Well, the deed is done. I'm sure I was my usual charming self, although I tried to be sorta nice since I was the new guy. I decided that maybe the truck didn't HAVE to be converted to mass air, but there is a good chance it will need to be. Regardless, if you have to buy a new computer you will probably be into the job for over $1000 by the time you get everything sorted out. More if a MA conversion is needed. That nearly gets you a stand alone processor and negates the need for the tuner in the first place. I'm not concerned about his good side. (I know, that's a freakin' surprise ) I don't need help bad enough to get it from somebody like that.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I emailed EEC Tuner to see what they had to say about this. Haven't heard back yet. Hopefully they'll have good news.

Last edited by Silver Streak; 04-07-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:37 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
u rock

Old 04-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Here's the latest news for this. Yesterday I printed off the engine management wiring diagrams for my truck, a 94 Lightning, and a 90 5.0 Mustang. When I got home I started comparing the diagrams to see what would need to be done. Basically, the Lightning puter uses the same harness connector and all the pinouts are the same as the 4.9. A Tweecer or EEC Tuner for a gen 1 Lightning should then work. All that would need to be done is change the firing order and tell it that it's in a 6 cylinder now. I posted a question on the forum where I asked about this 2 years ago to see if this was a viable swap. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

I am actually starting to consider the swap to a Mustang computer. The benefits are few, but somewhat useful. I'm not really concerned with having mass air, but sequential injection and separate O2 sensors for each bank would be nice. I'm still leaning towards the Lightning processor, but this does have some attractive advantages.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:59 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
how plentiful are the gen 1 L ECUs? because if its a moderate swap id be game to try it.

one more thing i like about the gen 1 L ECUs, they are E4OD controllers as well. i need one that can be used with an E4OD...

Old 04-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Yep, that is beneficial to most people. Moderate swap isn't the word for it. How 'bout direct bolt in? It almost seems too easy. There's gotta be a catch.......

You can still buy them new from Ford if you've got the bread. There are usually a few for sale on the Lightning forum. I know there's one right now for $60 shipped. There's also almost always (hehehe, how often can you put three words in a row that start with the same 2 letters) someone parting out a truck that has been wrecked. It seems like you should be able to pick one up at any time for under $100.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Argo
Posting Guru
Is it incorrect then to assume that a Lighttning computer is of the same style as the 5.0L or 5.8L V8 computer for the trucks as well?

Quick Reply: Attention EFI people who want to tune.