1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

To trade or not to trade????????? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 03:59 PM
28mars
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To trade or not to trade????????? Help!!

I have a 2001 F250 Super Duty, 4 door, 7.3 diesel with 56,000 miles. The dealer is getting nice 2004 in and wants me to trade. He claims when my truck hits 60,000 it is worth a lot less. Could I get $27,000 -$27,500 out of my truck? It is nice and has a bedliner, bug shield and is a Lariet with leather. The reason I ask is am I better off trading it in to get the tax advantage? I would only pay the tax on the difference? Help...............

Rick

Old 04-04-2005, 04:38 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally I can't see the reasoning in trading to the 6.0L, especially when yours still has a year + on the motor warranty.

There is a reason that the dealer is trying to get your trade...7.3L's with low milage are in very high demand, and are getting ever harder to find. The dealer wants your trade so that they can put a obscene markup on it.

I was very fortunate to pick up my '00 7.3L XLT SuperCab with only 47K mi and no fifth wheel hitch (i.e. not much towing). Dealer wanted 25,900 for it, and I told him 22,500 was all I was prepared to give and proceeded towards the door.

FWIW, I shelled out 22,565 on mine. I dunno if that was a good deal or not, but it was ~1500 below the KBB estimates that I saw, and $500 below my BIL's '01 5.4L equipped SD SC with 56K mi, so I figured I did alright on this truck.

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 04-04-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
~1500 below the KBB estimates that I saw
Wow if you got it below KBB value then you done good!! I see alot of trucks even from private party's (a.k.a the want ad) marked up a couple grand over kbb.

Back to the matter at hand... If you like the truck you have now.... keep it. the 7.3 is a great engine. And the first thing you want to do is not to beleve anything the dealers say.... why do you think he wants your truck back??? There is no such magical 60K mark that exists... it's just like any other #.... so i'd keep it and drive it like you stole it!! good luck

-Robb

Old 04-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Saguaro_7.3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have to agree. Why does the dealer want your truck so bad? Good indication to keep it. Like Robbgt said, there is no magical mileage mark. The dealer is telling you that because you have just under 60K on it. Better act now or you'll lose out. That's crap. Keep the truck, save your money and drive it for another 450k.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea I call that dealer on BS too. If you want a 6.0 - then trade away.... But for your own reasons - not 'cause the dealer is pushing you. It will be a cold day in you-know-where before I trade my 7.3 for a 6.0 - no way.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:41 PM
DD1684
Elder User
Most dealers are scummy. They tell you what you want to hear. They'll take your perfect 7.3 and put it on the lot with an outrageous pricetag on it. Then they'll dump a 6.0 on you. Unless you're lucky, you'll be at the dealer with that truck so often that you'll know the name of every employee there! Don't believe it? Go look at the 6.0 PSD forums. Not to insult anybody, but it's true! I work part-time at a lumber yard as a yard associate. I see tons of 6.0s throughout the week. Most of the guys with those trucks have been to the dealer several times with their "Sick liters". Not to insult your integrity, but if you're smart, you'll keep the 7.3! Good luck!

Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Gotta agree with all statements about the dealer,,,Hmmm,, BS. Your`e 2001 is a great truck,I`d keep it and with the money you save on the tax diff,take the wife to tahoe

Hanklin

Old 04-05-2005, 12:28 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
gotta tell ya... the dirty little secret is getting out... ford is starting to wish that they hadn't gotten rid of the 7.3 just yet... i saw a 2004 6.0 listed by a dealer for right around $30k.... try to get a low mileage 03 with a 7.3 for that.... not where i live....! i don't know all the reasons, but the 6.0's don't seem to be holding their value like the 7.3 psd's do... i have had MANY psd owners tell me the 7.3 is the best diesel you can have in your truck... that many people can't be wrong... i have never driven a 6.0, and many of the people on here LOVE thiers, so i don't think it is a bad motor, but how can you beat the 7.3 if it's reputation for being bullet proof is even half as true as everyone says it is...?

Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbgt
Wow if you got it below KBB value then you done good!! I see alot of trucks even from private party's (a.k.a the want ad) marked up a couple grand over kbb.

-Robb
It happend to be at the end of a very slow month for the local dealerships. I guess they were just wanting to get some fresh inventory.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 AM
28mars
New User
Ok guys, good advice...............But at what point does the bottom fall out of my truck?

You know how it goes, you drive something and all of a sudden it is not worth much at all. I dont want to be in a position that I need to have a ton of extra cash to get a newer truck. If I could trade for 8-9,000 dollars is that a good deal?

To the point on the 6.0 being junk. They do have a warranty correct?

I think the dealer has a buyer for mine already. He did say the short box Super Duty with 4 full doors are more desireable.

Does anyone on here have a 6.0 and traded a 7.3 for it? I would like to hear if they have complaints.

Your input please!!!!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:00 AM
MIKESANDS
Senior User
I traded my 6.0 for a 7.3L

Originally Posted by 28mars
Ok guys, good advice...............But at what point does the bottom fall out of my truck?

You know how it goes, you drive something and all of a sudden it is not worth much at all. I dont want to be in a position that I need to have a ton of extra cash to get a newer truck. If I could trade for 8-9,000 dollars is that a good deal?

To the point on the 6.0 being junk. They do have a warranty correct?

I think the dealer has a buyer for mine already. He did say the short box Super Duty with 4 full doors are more desireable.

Does anyone on here have a 6.0 and traded a 7.3 for it? I would like to hear if they have complaints.

Your input please!!!!
I had a 6.0 What a piece of junk it was! press the accelerator and it wouldn't move! The dealer wants your truck because he has a buyer! keep it and save yourself alot of headaches

Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
i hate to state the obvious, but, i worked for a dealership for years, so here goes:

if a dealer has a buyer for your truck, what does that tell you. simple: the dealer has plenty of 6.0's on the lot, but here comes a customer that wants a new truck, but will not buy one with a 6.0. so, in order to make a sale, the dealer needs a 7.3, (increasingly rare on the sales lots), so he has to get one

if he goes to a "ford dealer only" auction, (his best source for good low mileage ford vehicles), he will have to compete with lots of other ford dealers who are looking for the same thing, so he'll have to pay top dollar for the truck, tie up his cash in the truck till he sells it, then hope the "buyer" won't walk when the used 7.3 is damn near as expensive as a new 6.0.

it is easier for him, and cheaper by far, to "steal" your truck from you. the "trade in" amount he is giving you is fake, he is putting an ACV, actual cash value on your truck that is much lower than what he is telling you he is giving you for a trade. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS BULL..! the dealer takes this acv, combines it with money he can take off the price of the new one,(discounts and secret manufacturers rebates), and calls that your "trade in value". it's all "funny money" as my dad calls it. the dealer then puts you in the truck his other "buyer" won't buy, and sells your truck to him, and makes money on both of you. this is how they do it. they make WAY more money on the used vehicles they sell than the new ones, but 2 sales at a time is even better.

sorry this post is so long, but i am trying to save you from throwing money away for nothing. one other thing. the BEST and ONLY way to get value out of a vehicle is to drive it for a LONG time. that way, after your vehicle is paid off, your "per year average cost to operate" goes down. the longer you drive it, the less you have paid per year to have it... and the psd's are made to last a long, long, long time.... i really hope to get 500k out of my 02 7.3 psd...!

Old 04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
DD1684
Elder User
I agree with Johnny here. The dealer wants to make a quick buck at your expense. They're not here to help you. Just themselves. ALL dealers have dollar signs in their heads. They could sell ice cubes to eskimos because they can talk the talk. You won't realize how great your current truck is until you decide to go with a 6.0. All you'll end up with is a warranty work nightmare and one headache after another. If you do decide to get a 6.0 then sell the 7.3 outright. You'll get much more money for it that way. I still think you should keep the 7.3. Then again, you could always look for a 2003 7.3 as well. Good luck finding one though, as Ford didn't make too many of them.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
28mars
New User
[QUOTE=johnny8]

Great advice.
He is offering 25,000 grand for mine. The other truck is a loaded 2004 Super Duty 4 door 6.0 with 21,000 miles. He will trade for 8500 to boot.

Good deal? Let me know?

Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
good deal if he gives you the 2004 plus the $8500...! seriously.... the $25k number he is giving you is bogus.... he must have a lot of money to play with on the new truck, i dunno for sure, but i bet you could sell your truck outright for $28 without any problem, of course then you'd have to beat on your sales man and shop around for a new 6.0, but at least you would KNOW what you are really paying for it. Like i said, i worked at a dealership, and the only car i would trade in is one that is worth absolutely nothing. Then you know, anything they are giving you in trade is profit they are taking off of whatever you are buying....

Quick Reply: To trade or not to trade????????? Help!!