Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Topless

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:01 AM
snowfighter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topless

I went topless this weekend. I plan to keep it off until mid to end of October. Rain or Shine A little water won't hurt.

Last edited by snowfighter; 04-04-2005 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:55 AM
93BigBlackBronco
Senior User
I picked up a fastback style softop this winter so as soon a rainy season ends all summer!

Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 AM
1976 drag
Junior User
yea i love it......all summer we usually run it that way....all good unless you are in back and the driver or passenger spits out the window!!!

76 Drag

Old 04-04-2005, 08:12 AM
scurbiedog
Senior User
I would like to go topless all the time but shes my everyday driver and with a car seat in the back the old lady would kill me if the kid gets sick.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Only problem when mine goes topless, my wife would rather take the Bronco for the day. Of course, considering what my wife drives these days, I don't mind the swap so much!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:13 PM
96eddie5.8
Senior User
whats this fastback style softop? can you post a link, and did you have to drill extra holes in the back to put it on? What did the instaliation intail?

Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO, it is not worth the trouble. I do not think that enough of the truck is opened up to warrant the hassle. And you are also at the mercy of the weather, if you are far from where the top is and it starts raining then you are SOL.

It also depends on your Bronco, and your living situation. As far as the Bronco, if I had an older, more of a beater truck, I would not mind a soft top. But I do not want a soft top on mine, mine is very clean and has power everything and I like it as a luxury 4X4, the way it is. Also, with the top down, the truck is going to get filled with dust etc. which also does not fit with my intended use - which was to have a clean, luxurious, but tough 4WD truck.

As far as your living situation, it is helpful if you have a large garage and others who live with you that can help you with the top. I have neither. In the large garage you can build a hoist to lift it right off, which people have done, or at least enough room to pull the top and walk straight back with it and set it down. I do not have that type of room, nor do I have anyone here who can help me.

As far as I am concerned, it would all be the same to me if the roof was metal and part of the body. I do see the attraction of going topless though, I had a 2000 Chevy Tracker 4X4, don't laugh because it was a tough little truck and 4X4'd very well, anyway I could remove almost all of the roof with the stock soft top and canvas sunroof. And I could also carry the parts of the removed top in the back and put them back on in five minutes if necessary. I do miss that little truck sometimes - and I could definitely appreciate the gas mileage right now.

Last edited by JBronco; 04-04-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 PM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
I took the cap off in the summer when we went to Pensacola for a week each year. Knock wood, it never rained on it and I had a bikini top stowed under the rear seat. It would go on in about 3 minutes. It was made from heavy duty vinyl apolstery material by a friend who did custom aplostery work. He incorporated an aluminum bar sewn into the front edge and bent to conform to the pillar. We used two small c-clamps to attach on each side of the front, and two long bungees went from steel rings in the back edge to the bumper. It was little or no headroom in the rear seat, but the munchkin was very small then. I made a spreader bar sling out of oak and cable, would get in the back and "stand up" with the cap on my back while my better half slid the bottom spreaders under the front and rear. Then took the come-along which was routed through a weld wheel and raised the cap. You drive out from under it and back under it to re-attach. But like JB says it can take a while. Every time back from the beach, immediately take it to a carwash that does the under side and run it through twice, never had a corrosion issue.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:26 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've soaked the inside of BOTH my 92 and my 93. They dry out. I keep the rear seat folded up, the front seats pulled forward (like they are when getting out of the back seat) and the windows up if it looks like it could pour on it. No carpet in the back anymore anyway.

Aside from that its just way too cool to run around topless. The truck gets more attention too. The other possibility that I pursued is the modified OEM top that allows an open section fo the roof and the side windows can be removed as well. I've had a couple folks here ask about it and I am trying to get some detailed info as to how it went together. Basically allows the same "feel" without losing the top every time and worrying about how to cover it quickly should a thundercloud crop up (the cover for the roof is a chunk of waterproof tent vinyl with snaps around the perimieter and a couple of tension bows sewn into it to keep it taut). Also makes things easier for those of us who have 92 and later models. The high mount stop lamp and the rear seat shoulder harness belts still function. Keeps your OEM rear glass too and no holes drilled in the truck.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:13 AM
93BigBlackBronco
Senior User
A fastback or tonneau should snap on in 5 minutes No hassle. I don't like the look of the full top with bows it kinda ruins the look IMHO.
Fastback style top at SoftTops.com 1980-1996 Bronco.
You might have to Google to find Soft tops.com.
They have a couple pics and you can download installation instructions.
I bought mine from tractorcrusher.
It looks like new he said he only used it a couple months. Very nice quality. I can't wait to install it.
You do have to drill the tailgate for snaps. The rest of the fasteners are a twist type like boat top with grommets in the canvas they mount down in the recess for the hardtop next to the weatherstrip.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 AM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
Talking Peek a boo!

Streak,
I'll try to get a picture next time I see the guy, but there's a Bronco up in Banks Co. that has had a "large" sunroof cut in it. I never asked as to how it seals but it must take up 70% of the cap roof. It has tempered smoked glass and is lift out, doesn't tilt up at all. It uses a nylon looking lock over center type device to hold it in, much like older model aftermarket sunroofs. There were two on each end and two on each side. I don't know where he stores the glass when off, but it's the largest cutout I've ever seen in a roof. He also had an inside roll cage that looks like 1 1/4" moly tubing which may stiffen up the Bronc some. It's unobtrusive, but does penetrate the floor and must go to the frame. Painted a satin black and cages the rear occupant as well. I've seen him topless as well as with the sunroof section off. It is one super looking Bronco.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
snowfighter
Elder User
I will run topless rain or shine I dont mind it getting wet. I keep the front seats folded up and parked into the wind. Remember before the was cars and trucks we rode horses in the cold or rain.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:08 AM
snoman
Junior User
i'll run mine topless all summer.

my philosophy: if you have it, use it. otherwise, give it to someone who will.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:16 AM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by snowfighter
Remember before the was cars and trucks we rode horses in the cold or rain.
Actually no, I do not remember that. I know that it was done, but not in my lifetime so I don't remember it. And I have ridden through freezing rain, hail, sleet, and even snow on my Harley over the years. I don't need to do it in my Bronco too.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 PM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
I still ride horses but avoid doing so in freezing rain, hail, sleet, and we just don't have much snow. I generally prefer the creature comforts of my Bronco, before I sold it to keep the above out. It was a load of fun at the beach each summer though.

Quick Reply: Topless