2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget DVD in-dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 07:26 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Budget DVD in-dash

I just finished adding a DVD player to my in-dash monitor. The new model truck uses a double din stereo, so it’s fairly easy to put in two single din units. This is a Crutchfield double din mount, with a harness by Scosche.

I first

added the monitor, and tested it for a week or so. Then I added a backup camera.
Now I’ve ‘completed’ the set by putting a DVD/MP3/VCD/AM/FM etc. in-dash unit in under the monitor.
Picture is outstanding with this monitor. Crisp, very watchable and flexible. You can tip it either way, or straight, you can tip it back on flat.

With the camera in, I have a pretty good view of what’s behind me.

Next I added the in-dash DVD. It’s a ‘generic’ one. 240 watts, and not as many bells or whistles as my Kenwood stereo.
It does great as a DVD player, and it plays MP3’s well. It even plays them on DVD disks. I made up a DVD disk with 800 songs, and two movies on it, and it plays that well.
Tuner works about like any other radio.

DVD has no provision for disconnecting it while you drive. Some want this, some don’t.

The monitor has two video inputs. One for my rearview camera, the other for the DVD/MP3.

There is a great place in the rear, just to the side of the license plate to mount the camera. No metal drilling at all.

The whole package, double din, harness, DVD/MP3 etc/ monitor/ back up camera ran about 360.00.

To add this setup to a stock truck, assuming you wanted to keep your stock speakers, would take about two hours, including mounting the camera.

The grainess in the picture is from the D70, and the JPG process, not the actual picture.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.
Chris

p.s.
This is a manual monitor, not the one touch power ones. I checked out the 600+ dollar units on display at five or six different places. Many of the ‘power out’ monitors were no longer working. I asked the salespeople at each place what the big problem was, and they explained that people would ‘manually’ try to pull them out or put them back. Doing that wore them out pretty quick.
The first guy to look at my in-dash grabbed it and closed it, without asking if it was power… I think the salesmen might have a point. If you do use an auto closing/opening, don’t let idiots grab them…

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 03-29-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:51 AM
TDBRPH
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool setup.... got any pics of the reverse camera and picture it produces? Did you get everything from crutchfield?

Thanks
Triston

Old 03-30-2005, 10:02 AM
how2fish
Senior User
Did you get all the parts local or off the net? Can you post model or part numbers please?
One last thing does your radio have XM in it?

Very nice setup.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru

The backup camera is a 90 degree. The color is washed out on the 90 camera. I have an identical camera except it has a 37 degree and the color is great. Obviously they loose something when they widen the view. No big thing. I don't care if the kid walking behind me has a purple shirt, or a lavender shirt... just so I see him in time to not make road pizza out of him...

Chris

Old 03-30-2005, 10:44 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Hi, how2fish.
Parts are from the net. Local it would have cost about 1200 more bucks. I'm in California...

Crutchfield doesn't sell seperate in-dash monitors. I got the double din mount from Crutchfield. The camera, monitor, dvd etc. I got on E-bay from regular vendors.

No Xm radio, there are "AUX In' RCA jacks, but I don't need Xm as everything I want is local broadcast, or MP3 etc. I could add it in minutes, if I changed my mind.

I am surprised at how good the monitor is. Clear sharp picture.
When I put it in reverse, the camera takes about 2 seconds to 'warm up' then the picture is quite good.

I would recommend the Innovatek in-dash monitor for anyone looking for a low cost monitor. Two video inputs, lots of options, full on screen controls. Remote, etc. The resolution is much better than many of the brand name units.
The DVD/MP3 has good simple controls, an elaborate remote. It has Mosfet amp chips.
Chris

Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 AM
92merc
Tuned
Do you know if you can "split" the video output to two displays? I already have a 7" LCD for my son I'd like to mount in the back seat of my SuperCrew. But I'd still like something up front. And for about $400, this rig does everything I'd like.

Anyone know if my 2003 SuperCrew would be able to use a double din mount kit? Or something like it?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Interesting question. I have a Tview 7 inch monitor that was just sitting around. I used a 99 cent y cable, and was able to split the video from the DVD to both screens. I had about a six foot, medium quality RCA cable between them. I did not notice any degradation of picture. I did notice the Tview was not as high a quality of picture, adequate, but not great. That difference is more in the resolution of the two monitors.
Chris

Old 03-30-2005, 01:57 PM
DHinSC
New User
gps?

It looks like one of the pictures has a navigation screen showing. Does this setup also include GPS? It looks like a great setup. Can you give us the part numbers and the vendor id's?

Old 03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Sorry no GPS. I have to use my hand held. I'm trying to find a GPS that will readout on a LCD screen. No luck so far.
Chris

Old 03-30-2005, 11:20 PM
transam396
Senior User
Chris that is a really clean setup could u please post part numbers and who u got the different peices from . also how long have u had the complete setup in your truck and any problems with reception on the stereo ?? the only thing that i think would add to my cost would be getting the adapter to make the buttons on my steering wheel compatible thnks in advance for the info

Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
I don't know if any aftermarket will work the wheel buttons. Don't have them, didn't do the research. It would be sweet though.

The monitor has been in there for a few weeks, the DVD just installed, and so far I'm not sure about it. Excellent DVD quality, still fiddling with my amp. The low side doesn't like the DVD player, the high side doesn't sound like I want.

I'm holding off on part numbers and vendor on the DVD until it has a few more miles on it.

The monitor is plain in the pictures. Not recommending anything, just yet.

The radio reception is no problem. About like stock, not as good as my Kenwood. Not a big differance either way.

My wife brought it to my attention tonight that I have had 4 radios in my truck in 100 days. And that I have removed the center panel over thirty times. That's right, 30. Holds up pretty well, I think.

It's getting busy inside there, with a keyless module, Homelink, DVD, Monitor, Four express modules for the windows, two windows switches, my amp, and I think a partridge in a pear tree is in there somewhere...
Chris

Old 03-31-2005, 02:01 AM
how2fish
Senior User
Awesome setup. I think I may have to start getting everything ordered. Thanks for the great idea's.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 AM
anollmann
Senior User
Check out this module to allow you to use the steering wheel controls:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tkM1Rey...+wheel+control

Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
JoeKramer
Senior User
Hey I was looking for this on cruchfield but could not find it...

Old 03-31-2005, 05:46 PM
anollmann
Senior User
do a search for steering wheel control

Its the first item that shows up

Quick Reply: Budget DVD in-dash