Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

homemade dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:28 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
homemade dashboard

Some of you might remember my homemade dashboard project from last fall:

FTE Homemade Dash Thread

Anyway, it was my first "real" fiberglass project and the end results were not to my liking... and since it became frigid last October (here in NJ at least) trying to cure fiberglass resin wasn't doable in my unheated garage.

Here is what it looked like when I packed up for the winter, not quite finished:

Of course it would have been painted red to match the interior, then covered in a thick vinyl for a smooth finish. The bondo was really just to get the lumps out by masking them on the fiberglass.

Anyway, it got cold, so last fall I put the project away for the cold season, attached my unmounted cluster to the steering column using electrical tape, and continued using the truck as my daily driver.

At some point in the winter I realized the defroster wasn't effective without the ductwork, so i duct taped cardboard to redirect airflow to the windshield. Yes, I'm lazy .

Now it's that time of year again, so I pulled out my nasty looking homemade dash and started re-sanding some of the unfinished bondo areas, and after a couple of hours of sanding I decided this isn't working for me, not at all.

So, I put the "mess" into the attic, pulled out some steel stock, and started making a steel frame to surround the heater ductwork/dash support, to which I'll wrap and encase in thin sheet steel, weld it all together, making for nice clean lines. This is the result of three hours work...

Yes, I'm aware that my truck has two shifters... it's a manual so the shifter on the floor is the relevent piece of hardware. Early winter my steering column went so I had to find a replacement one, and I felt that was a good time to add tilt-wheel, so I snagged a 92 Town Car column and shoved it in. Mechanically it was a perfect fit, I just had to swap my ignition lock and ignition switch over and I was good to go. Also, it's red instead of black, matching the interior a little nicer. But I was in a rush so I inadvertently left the automatic shifter on the column while shoving it in. ooops. I'll have to remember to remove that. Though I am reminded every time I get into the truck

I did a bunch of preliminary measurements and sometime today I'm going to go to the local yard and go glovebox hunting. Since my new steel dash will have less curves and more angles than the factory dash, I need a glove-box that's more flat; Preferably one that will fit more at the top of the dash than the F-series which is at your knees. My wife has long legs and opening the glove box always means risking hitting her knees, so I'll make the fabrication easier and at the same time solve this problem. Some of the GM gloveboxes (noticably, late 80's full size caddy's) have flat glovebox doors and when you flip them down there are two cup holders. I'll try to find one of those, then fabricate the box behind it, using only the door, hinges, and lighting switch.

Then I'll work my way down and start on the center console. Going to bury the area the manual shifter is in with storage, cup holders and the like.

Anyway, some progress, not too bad for a few hours.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 AM
tex94F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glove box/dash

Fredrick, Since you're already in the fab mode, why not make the glove box with a "lid" that rolls over to about 3/4 the depth of the inside frontal area. Wife would not have any issues with a standard type glove box door coming back and down, the 1/4 depth lip would hold most anything and you could put a vanity mirror for her in the lid that raises up. Sorry, my wife looking over my shoulder, her idea (mirror, apparently a necessity). Just an idea.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:43 PM
92lightning
Senior User
I suppose a Air Bag on Her side is not doable.

Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Guitar_Stitch
Junior User
If it's got a 'her side' then there's aleady an airbag on the passenger side. As an added saftey protocol, the airbag will follow you around and gently remind you of your shortcomings.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:24 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I leeched my visers out of the junkyard, don't remember from what, but they matched the interior and have vanity mirrors.

But it's unnecessary since I married a 5'10" black-belt tomboy.

As far as safety air bags, there won't be any. I hate those things and have been injured twice by them. The first time I was turning using my left hand on the wheel, and at the point the bad deployed my left arm was right in front of the bag. Didn't break anything but when the steering wheel cover poped it took off a nasty chunk of skin. The second time an airbag deployed in my face, one of the lenses of my glasses shattered.

No airbags for me, thank you.

Now, suspension airbags is what I was refering to earlier... I want to smooth the ride of my F350 crewcab a bit, yet be able to "air up" and haul loads.