what have you backed into ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:06 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what have you backed into ??

heres a spin-off of the shopping cart thread-

heres my story- i drive a 2003 F350 Ext cab long bed, lifted with 35" tires. the other night in the dark leaving practice, i approached my truck from the front. i was parked on the street side, with a corsica in front of me. it was DARK out. like an idiot, i didnt check behind me. but i thought "nobody is dumb enough to park so close behind me that i cant see them from this angle" and being in such a hurry to leave... i just jumped in the truck. i back up 6"-10" and i heard a small bump.

i get out to check, and then i saw it. A YELLOW TRANS AM. parked right behind me. ok, i know, thats like rear ending a yellow school bus with flashing lights...

but the guy had parked SOOO close behind me!!! i get out, look at the front of the car, went inside to tell the kid and he came out to look at it. you really had to search to see the scratch, so he didnt care, but i still felt dumb and at fault ( yes, i admit fault ) since it was a GM product i shoulda put it in 4LOW and mashed the throttle but...

so, what have you backed into with your vehicle ??

Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, little brother BLACK monte at 12am, it was parked directly behind me and so close you couldn't see the lights on the front of it. A few posts in a parking lot that protect the telephone pole, in dad's van ('88 E150).

Old 03-22-2005, 11:11 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backing into a parking space, I heard the 'thump' and realized I hit one of the light poles. (The cement part). Just a little scuff on the bumper...nothing major

This time, I didn't back into anything. I was at a gas station and was trying to get around a suburban. I almost made it but the heard 'thump'. I ran into one of the fuel pump station. Just a little ding on the bumper...nothing major

Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 PM
FoxyFord83
Junior User
i've backed into several things Before I owned my 2000 f 150 extended cab 4x4 i drove my dads 1989 Ford F150 extended cab 4x4. I was leaving for work one morning and not looking where my mom had parked her 94 explorer i get in put it in reverse and let up off the clutch. I backed right into the back of my moms explorer. If i would have looked behind me better i would have seen she park caddy corner behind me.

Then i was driving my husbands 1990 f150 2wd long bed and backed into my 86 firebird. so far i havent backed into anything with our 2000 but my husband has. He was backing out of a our parking spot and backed right into a UPS truck. good thing he barely knicked it and the driver was cool about it and told him not to worry bout it

Last edited by FoxyFord83; 03-22-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Ok, my wife totally gave me permission to post this. On our wedding day, she had borrowed her parents car to pick up her dress and some stuff before the wedding. She backed into a telephone pole in the parking lot and really crunced the back end. Best part of the story is... she tells her Dad just as they opened the doors for him to walk her down the isle. Ha, so what could he say, atleast it made him mad enough he didn't cry. I've always said it made him happy to give her away!!!

Old 03-23-2005, 12:05 AM
f15terwitha6ter
Junior User
Backed into a light pole once in the old truck. Just tapped it. No damage to anything but my pride.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:16 AM
rebel_ford4x4
Posting Guru
a ditch.

i was muddin in a field entrance after dark and i dont have any reverse lights so i couldnt see for nothin what was behind me and as i was backing out to get onto the road i had the pedal to the floor, then im wondering why is it taking so long to find gravel cause i didnt think i was that far in. but by the time i could finish that thought i felt like i got rear ended by a 1 ton dually at 50mph and the front end of my truck was pointing up. i got out and looked at what i got myself into and i was freaked out at first cause i thought id have to call a towtruck and the cops would be there, but i just got back in, put 'er in 4 low, and gave her hell and she crawled right out.

the only damage to my truck was some dents on the back of my cab from where my cb antenna mounts hit the cab and my back bumper is slightly bent down.

Last edited by rebel_ford4x4; 03-23-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
One night years ago, I was dropping my girlfriend off back home at her folk's place. When leaving, I backed up over a bunch their expensive shrubs. I never said a thing about it, as I was afraid her dad would kill me.

That next weekend, I was invited over for dinner. At the dinner table, the topic of the destroyed shrubs raised its ugly head. I thought, Uh oh, here it comes. Her dad said "Lindsey, I like this guy here (gestures to me), he ain't like that other piece of crap ex-boyfriend of yours". He then turns to me and says "Ya, that piece of crap ex-boyfriend of hers was so ticked-off she broke up with him, the jerk came over last weekend and trashed my yard!.... IDIOT"

Old 03-23-2005, 12:58 AM
Munkey
Fleet Mechanic
Back when I was working at a rental car place. . .

I was backing up a 16' Isuzu box truck and smashed into a brand new (just off the transport truck) Daewoo Lanos 4-door. I didn't even feel I had hit anything until one of my co-workers flagged me down.

We were short handed one day so I was helping the detail guys clean the cars as we needed them. We had one reservation for a pickup truck, and we only had one truck on the lot. Well, my manager unhooked a U-Haul car dolly in the middle of the service drive, infront of our garage door thinking one of the detail guys would push it out of the way. I was busting butt to get the truck to the customer who was waiting. . .I jump in the truck, and reverse out of the shop *WHAM* I get the freaking truck high-centered on the car dolly and pop a tire. I couldn't see the tow dolly from the inside of the truck looking back, or from either side mirror. Needless to say, we had one PO'ed customer on our hands after that.

I really dont think I have to worry about backing up into objects and I do driving straight into them. THIS DAMAGE was caused by running into a 20ft. light pole in the middle of the day (pole in left background).

Old 03-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RocketScience
One night years ago, I was dropping my girlfriend off back home at her folk's place. When leaving, I backed up over a bunch their expensive shrubs. I never said a thing about it, as I was afraid her dad would kill me.

That next weekend, I was invited over for dinner. At the dinner table, the topic of the destroyed shrubs raised its ugly head. I thought, Uh oh, here it comes. Her dad said "Lindsey, I like this guy here (gestures to me), he ain't like that other piece of crap ex-boyfriend of yours". He then turns to me and says "Ya, that piece of crap ex-boyfriend of hers was so ticked-off she broke up with him, the jerk came over last weekend and trashed my yard!.... IDIOT"
I bet he knew it was you he was just laying out a guilt trip to see if you'd fess up. Please tell the rest of that story.

As for me ad what I have backed into. I was backing my 16' flatbed up to teh barn and wantedto get as close to the doors as possible so I could load from concrete to trailer and not have to drag out of the barn and on gravel. Anyway the trailer "bumped" the doors and dented one, did the same thing to the house by where dad use to load firewood, trying to get the trailer right on top of the chute and the corner of the traiiler (I was backing at an angle) clipped a tree and smashed one of the taillights on the trailer.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:04 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Wife backed down our (steep) driveway with a Suburban and tagged the neighbors Acura parked across the street. She didn't even know she hit the thing, and drove off. As luck would have it, I was home babysitting the girls when the "knock,knock" hit on the front door. $3500 damage to the Acura, not so much as a scratch on the Suburban.

I backed down the same driveway with my daughter in the car, and ran smack into the side of a different neighbors Tahoe. My wife had parked it in the street across from our driveway. Both doors smashed on the Tahoe, ripped the bumper cover off of a VW Camper (guess how much that cost? ).

We sold the house not long after- the new one has a level driveway.

The Northwest Chapter of FTE
we don't get lost,
we just get found

Old 03-23-2005, 08:16 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
When I was younger, I backed my dad's Wagoneer into my mother's station wagon. There was just a small ding in bumper of the station wagon.
A couple of years ago, one of my friends had just bought his first brand new Harley. His wife backed into it with her van. The bike fell over on it's side, and pushed about 4 feet. Not a pretty site, lots of damage.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

I saw something funny while on my home from work one day.I am on a state route approaching a inner section.The traffic heading toward me (my road) had to stop but I did not have a stop sign.I see this highly lifted F250 or 350 coming toward the stop sign and a small car right behind him.Well the truck over shoots the stop sign a little and he puts it in reverse and backs up hard.Needless to say he almost ran over this little Chevy something.The truck crushed the front end and hood.I had never seen anything like that so now I think of that when backing and use extreme caution.Good Luck and Be Safe.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The night we bought our '98 G. Caravan, I drove it home from the dealer.

I have had a habit of backing into the driveway since I started driving.
My wife parked her older car on the gravel in front of the house and had the garage door opener.

I've got a LOT of steel (titanium) in my back, and can't twist very well, so, I use the mirrors.

With that said, I mis-judged distance and backed into the NEW garage door.
I just 'tapped' it.
(Didn't do much damage, but, to this day, my wife gives me a lot of kidding because of it.)
Why she didn't open the garage door. . . . I dunno.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Birdhunter1
I bet he knew it was you he was just laying out a guilt trip to see if you'd fess up. Please tell the rest of that story.
The rest of the story......

Fortunately for me, the idiot ex-boyfriend had an MO (Modus Operandi). Evidently, he was very disgruntled at the time of the break-up, and had trashed (or was figured to have trashed) the yard a month before.

Pete (Lindsey’s Dad),
If you’re listening, I confess. I’m the one who trashed your shrubs 23 years-ago. I'm sorry......

Whewww! There, I feel better!

MAN! Like a ton of bricks have just been lifted off my chest! Thanks Birdhunter1 for forcing me to confront my guilt! Boy, do I feel better now!

Quick Reply: what have you backed into ??