General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock songs and bands

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Annihilator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone like the band Annihilator? (obviously I kinda used their name for this site)
They have one song that will remind of AC/DC, it's called Shallow Grave
Loudness- Crazy Nites
Ozzy- Diary of a Madman
Trouble-Scuse Me
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell , Cemetary Gates
Motorhead- Ace Of Spades
Ratt- Round and Round, Nobody Rides For Free
Def Leppard..............

Old 03-23-2005, 12:23 PM
m1garand1
Senior User
How could I forget Motorhead?

Old 03-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by mleichtle

Dave Mustain, the current lead guitar for Metallica, Name? and one other pretty famous player that I can't remember right now were all trained by Joe Satriani at the same time. Which I find interesting, Joe is a definate hard rock kinda thing, but all his students define metal.
I believe you are thinking of Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, and Alex Skolnick who was formerly in Testament. I have no Idea what He's up to now days.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
It is all about Spinal Tap...... JK

If you look at MP3 Player it would be Metallica hands down, but here are some other good ones:
System of a Down
Mudvayne
M. Manson
Sammy Hagar
Van Halen
Rob Zombie
White Zombie
Guns-n-Roses
Monser Magent
Ozzy
Twisted Sister (What is that on your uniform? Is that a Twister Sister Pin? Well is it?)
Type O Negative
Nugent
Thin Lizzy
P.O.D.
Powerman 5000
Drowining Pool

Old 03-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Annihilator
Elder User
Yngwie Malmsteen anyone??????????

Old 03-23-2005, 03:26 PM
mleichtle
Senior User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleichtle

Dave Mustain, the current lead guitar for Metallica, Name? and one other pretty famous player that I can't remember right now were all trained by Joe Satriani at the same time. Which I find interesting, Joe is a definate hard rock kinda thing, but all his students define metal.

I believe you are thinking of Kirk Hammet, Steve Vai, and Alex Skolnick who was formerly in Testament. I have no Idea what He's up to now days.
Yes, Kirk and Alex. Satch put 'em through a guitar shreaders boot camp according to the interveiw I read, it was insane. Steve Via also took lessons from Satch but at a different time.

G-n-R was overplayed and still is in my opinion, I'm getting tired of 'em. I used to rock out to Warlock in the 80's

Old 03-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Annihilator
Elder User
April Wine
Junkyard
Jackyl- I Stand Alone, Still of the Night (totally different song than Whitesnakes'), She Loves My C@$%, Dirty Little Mind, The Lumberjack, Locked and Loaded, Chief a RockAHo..
Metal Church- Gods of Wraith, Out of harms Way, The Human Factor, Agent Green, Ton of Bricks, Start the Fire, The Dark, Watch the Children Pray, Western Alliance (which reminds me, I need to get the albums - The Dark and Hanging In The Balance

Old 03-23-2005, 05:16 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about Dimmu Borgir? I kinda like them, they are hardcore. I'm not so down with the whole demonic thing-but the song "puritania" is just awesome. I think they are Icelandic or Scandinavian or something.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:27 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
They are from Norway, and are one of the few black metal bands I like. You should scour the net for their cover of Twisted Sisters 'burn in hell'. Also, you should check out 'progenies of the great apocalypse'. I saw them last year at Ozzfest, and they put on a great set.

@Annihilator: Yeah, Im pretty familiar with your namesake. "Knight jumps queen", "Loving the Sinner", "No Zone", "The Fun Palace", to name a few.

I am not sure if they have been mentioned yet, but a band to check out is Children of Bodom. Do any of you get VH1 classic? I am lucky enough to, and they have a show entitled "Metal Mania". Its on a few days a week. They show nothing but classic metal videos (everything from original Sabbath videos, to Metallica, and Saxon, etc).

Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
I actually like that song too,NORWAY!! I knew it was somewhere over the pond.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:40 PM
Annihilator
Elder User
Any of you guys listen to Yngwie Malmsteen? That guy can shred and play guitar with the best of them. I just bought a Finnish Power Metal bands' 1998 album... Stratovarious - Destiny Bought it off of Towerrecords.com because I can't ever seem to find it at Hastings or Best Buy
Diamond Head anyone? L.A. Guns have some good tunes I think and actually their newer album Waking The Dead is heavier.
Anyone remember the band KIX...??? Blow My Fuse, Get It While It's Hot, Midnite Dynamite, Girl Money, they sound a lot like AC/DC

Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Sure, Ive got a whole mess of Yngwie in my music collection. FWIW, Stratovarius is going to be touring the US this fall! They disbanded for a year, but have regrouped. They are actually headlining an exclusive power and progressive metal festival that I attend (www.progpowerusa.com) this year. I believe their opening act is a band I have mentioned previously, Into Eternity. Ive completely given up on record stores. Its been a few years since Ive been in one. I have a few specialty online cd retailers that I use for all my metal.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Bad Company
Senior User
Terrible Ted Nugent, Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ Top. For me, none of the new bands even come close to the rockers born out of the 70's.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Annihilator
Elder User
Do any of you guys like April Wine- I love their songs like- I Like To Rock
I really think that Tesla is an underated band. They were a lot more talented and weren't really a hair band, they played good hard rock and roll and some pop-metal. I think just about anyone who is a fan of hard rock and dare I say some metal heads will like their song -Mama's Fool

Old 03-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Annihilator
Elder User
Alice In Chains was a good band, most of their stuff was very depressing, dark, moody, but their were a few songs that made a guy feel ok, like No Excuses. Me and my high school buddies (we had quite a few theme songs) but their songs -We Die Young was one that some of the girls we were friends with thought fitted us best, along with the almighty Skid Row's - Youth Gone Wild

Quick Reply: Best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock songs and bands