1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Air Suspension Issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 07:00 PM
99Navy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Suspension Issues!!!

I have been searching for about 2 hours now and have not found an answer to my question in the 500 post for LLS.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

This morning my battery was dead...100%. After applying charger and new battery air compressor wanted to run, continuously...non-stop. Truck was in "squat" position. The compressor sounded "sick." It was bouncing and "choking," but was not raising the truck or suspension. I turned the truck off and I heard the air compressor begin to whirl like it normally does. I then started the truck. It raised the truck to its maximum position. Now the truck is like 4 inches high and has a real bouncy ride. When I shut the truck off it remains in its raised position, it doesn't lower or squat. No clicking or anything like usually. What the hell is going on???<o:p></o:p>

Dealer say's it could be many different things. Bring it in tmo and will look at it for $65. New pump cost $375, new module $375. Great.<o:p></o:p>

The pump is cutting out and not functioning properly at times. <o:p></o:p>

Now the vehicle is elevated and won’t lower. Pump finally shut off and has not come back on, but then again the truck it in its highest position.<o:p></o:p>

Any help would be greatly appreciated while I continue to search this site, which is great by-the-way.<o:p></o:p>

Joe.<o:p></o:p>

Old 03-14-2005, 10:12 PM
99Navy
New User
Update.

Truck is still at 4x4 height after sitting in driveway off for 2 hours. Compressor was not running. I have not found any solution to this problem and have searched though 500 posts. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I located the relay under the passenger-side wheel well. Wires looked pretty good, the first large wire had some (minor) corrosion on it in the relay part. I jumped the two large wires and the compressor kicked on. Unplugging and plugging it the compressor would function properly and other times intermittently. Leading me to think it is a faulty relay or the compressor is on its way out. Plugged relay back in, compressor just runs away. Truck is shut off and at 4x4 height. What the hell??? <o:p></o:p>

I located fuse number 109 and pulled it. Compressor stopped working. <o:p></o:p>

I checked both the front and the rear ride-height positions sensors. Both were still properly connected and seem to have not problems. I disconnected the front and rear (individually) with the truck running and with the compressor running, and moved the sensors up and down to see if the compressor would stop or start, or change. It just kept running, no change.<o:p></o:p>

I cannot get the truck to lower. I read in one of the posts that the truck must be started in park for the valves to open and allow the truck to lower. What tells the valves to open so it will lower?<o:p></o:p>

Does the relay simply supply voltage to power the compressor only?<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance for any help.<o:p></o:p>

Old 03-15-2005, 08:14 PM
99Navy
New User
Issue Resolved.

Information for those in the future who experience similar symptoms:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

What happened? Well came home Sunday night, everything was fine. Turned off truck. Apparently at some point the compressor relay went kaput! ran compressor all night long until the battery had no more power give. Wasn't too good for the compressor either. <o:p></o:p>

Took to dealer today. Two codes came up saying the rear sensor and the compressor were both bad. Truck was still at 4x4 height. Dealer replaced compressor. When mechanic attempted to plug in new compressor it began running non-stop also. Mechanic quickly unplugged the new compressor so it would not burn out like the previous one had. Mechanic replaced relay and all was well.<o:p></o:p>

What did we learn?<o:p></o:p>

1. Compressor interestingly lowers vehicle as well as raises LLS. Truck would not lower because compressor was faulty.<o:p></o:p>

2. Not all Ford dealers charge the same rate or the same amount for parts.<o:p></o:p>

3. There are some hot women at Jerome Duncan Ford in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]Sterling Heights</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">MI</st1:State></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>

Hope this helps those in the future since I didn't find any similar posts.<o:p></o:p>

Old 03-16-2005, 07:27 AM
BigDASH
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99Navy

3. There are some hot women at Jerome Duncan Ford<O

<O</O
Next time #3 should be #1!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 PM
kgregg
New User
My compressor relay gave out recently (I have 2001 Navigator). Truck was a "low rider".... rear end at least 4 inches lower than normal, no compressor sounds, no nothing. Part was $129 something. My dealer did not have any of the hot women that yours had. Bummer.