Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Any Issues with Explorers

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:29 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Issues with Explorers

I am considering a 2005 new explorer to replace my recently demised 2000 taurus.

I have owned nothing but fords, but I know that explorers have had some issues in the past.

Specific questions.

How does the 5 speed tranny hold up?
Electric options? - reliable?
How about the 4wd? Any reliability issues?
Airconditioning - work long time?

I am comparing the explorer to a pilot. I cannot find a pilot in the color that we want.

I also can not find an explorer in 4wd. I know they exist, but I cant find any at my local dealerships through www.fordvehicles.com.

I dont NEED a 4x4, but I do want one. My need for a vehicle may override my desire for colors and 4wd.

Last edited by hllon4whls; 03-09-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:49 PM
shoal
New User
My work vehicle is a 2003 Exploder 4wd with 25,000 miles and in the shop right know with rear end problems. I know of at least 5 others in my department that have had this roaring problem. Some have had theirs replaced several times.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:06 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Thanks for the input.

Had a 2002 xls 4wd as a work vehicle as well. Couldnt judge it because by boss flooded it so bad it aspirated water into the engine and it was very low mileage. I never had an issue but one of the other techs said he had a bunch of issues that were resolved.
It hit an age limit and we turned it into the leasing company.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:18 PM
yield2s
Elder User
Originally Posted by hllon4whls
I am considering a 2005 new explorer to replace my recently demised 2000 taurus.

I have owned nothing but fords, but I know that explorers have had some issues in the past.

Specific questions.

How does the 5 speed tranny hold up?
Electric options? - reliable?
How about the 4wd? Any reliability issues?
Airconditioning - work long time?

I am comparing the explorer to a pilot. I cannot find a pilot in the color that we want.

I also can not find an explorer in 4wd. I know they exist, but I cant find any at my local dealerships through www.fordvehicles.com.

I dont NEED a 4x4, but I do want one. My need for a vehicle may override my desire for colors and 4wd.
If your worried about trannies DO NOT BUY A Honda with the 5spd auto! My Acura has had 5 trannies in 100k miles(all Honda 5spd autos are the same) and I'm not alone. Check out the Honda forums specifically looking for tranny related posts.
As for Explorers I have no personal experiance w/ the new Explorers but I think as a general rule w/the American makers If you know what specific engine/tranny/diff. are "tried and tested" then you'll have a great experiance. Like me w/my 5.0/E4OD/3.73LS.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:49 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
You must be in FL or SoCal, I think most places finding a 4x2 would be the problem. I have no complaints about my 03. Not sure what color you are after but the Red Fire paint I have is really nice.

I suggest getting an ESP just in case you get one like shoal..they have had rear end issues although I think he is exaggerating it. They may be resolved by now (05) anyway.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Originally Posted by bcjim
You must be in FL or SoCal, I think most places finding a 4x2 would be the problem. I have no complaints about my 03. Not sure what color you are after but the Red Fire paint I have is really nice.

I suggest getting an ESP just in case you get one like shoal..they have had rear end issues although I think he is exaggerating it. They may be resolved by now (05) anyway.
No, south louisiana. No snow here at least not very often. Once every 5 years or so. It amazes me how many vehicles farther north are 4wd. It surprised a couple of guys for jersey how most of our trucks are 4x2.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:20 AM
dybeepvw
Senior User
Get an XL if they still offer it with manual roll up windows, manual locks, 5-speed stick shift; you can still get cruise, ac, tilt, and 4wd. You will have more fun with this package and less electrical problems. I have this package and get 19mpg in town, and 22 on hwy with 4.O V-6.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:03 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Originally Posted by dybeepvw
Get an XL if they still offer it with manual roll up windows, manual locks, 5-speed stick shift; you can still get cruise, ac, tilt, and 4wd. You will have more fun with this package and less electrical problems. I have this package and get 19mpg in town, and 22 on hwy with 4.O V-6.
I dont believe they sell any with sticks. The xls is the most basic model I know of and they come with the 5 speed auto, power windows, locks, cruise and I think tilt.

This is primarily the wife's vehicle and she does not want to shift or roll up anything with her own two hands. It's buttons or nothing for her.

Last edited by hllon4whls; 03-11-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:26 PM
My05EddieBauer
New User
I've had my '05 EB since December. Auto w/the 4.6L. Even though I haven't had her that long, I'll try to answer your concerns, (or at least, my experiences thus far)...

Tranny : When I first picked her up, experienced very hard/abrupt shifts. It may have just been from "learning" during al lthe test drives (It had about 300 miles when I got it). However, it seems to shift smoothly most of the time now, and the shift pints seemed to have leveled themselves out. (I am now at approx 3500 miles)
Electric Options : No problems w/doors, windows, tailgate/window, etc.
4WD : No Clue. I have a 4X2. No issues w/traction or anything w/the recent rains we've been having in Central Texas though.
A/C : The one problem I've had. The A/C never seems to blow cold, only cool. I've taken it in, but they stealership claims it is fine. This is my first Ford, let alone my first 'SUV', so I don't really have anything to compare it too in that regards. I am not happy w/the A/C system in general though.

All said & done though, I am very pleased w/my EB. I like the way it handles better then some of the other trucks/suvs that I drove, and like the options that it comes equipped with. Not too much, not too little.

Hope this helps ya some...
-My05EddieBauer

Old 03-12-2005, 10:47 PM
72FordF250
New User
We have a 99 XLT with the 4.0 SOHC, 4WD, 5 spd auto and most of the power options and trailer package with around 66,000 miles.

Oil changes every 3000. Only motor problem was a stuck idle bypass last year. Cleaned it out and we've had no trouble since.

Tranny and transfer case seem solid. We had the fluid changed last year and it all looked good. A set of brakes at 50,000.

No problems with windows or any of the accessories.

I don't think the engine and trans have changed that much. It's been a pretty solid car. Just a few new rattles each year.

Old 03-13-2005, 05:47 AM
JerrySimm
Elder User
I have an '03 and it's been good. Has all the electric features (cruise, windows, locks, remote entry,etc.) no problems there. I have the 4wd 4.0L V6 with towing package and in the new Explorers 4wd is never exactly 2wd in the sense that if the back wheels slip it will automatically engage the 4wd. To me it's somewhat amazing how quickly and smoothly that works (tried it in the ice & snow). 5 speed auto is smooth, although I've seen posts where it wasn't. I know Ford had a supplier issue in later models where the transmissions came from the supplier with the wrong fluid and that's being addressed. When I was first looking at the '03's the wife and I were in Myrtle Beach. It amazed me that there was not a single 4wd on the lot, and they had over 30 explorers. Likewise, in the mountains of NC, most all of the Exporers on the lot are 4wd.

Good luck with whatever you select.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:07 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Thats good to know. Thanks a bunch for the replies. Esp the people with the older models. I had the 02 at work and now we have build date of 11/04 2wd xls rental that has 9500 miles. I hear some wind noise from the back, but other than that it seems fine. The 5speed auto is cool. I like the 1-2-3 shift. Motor really responds well to it.

I am going to check local inventory again. I want a 4x4 so bad. I dont plan on going crazy with it, but a little extra security for drives in sandy area's and such. AWD will be nice with all of the heavy rain that we have.

Old 03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
JerrySimm
Elder User
Just to clarify, I'm sure you already know this, but there is a difference between 4wd and AWD, and both options are available on Explorers. AWD has all wheels driving all of the time with some slippage in the transfer case (Can't remember the power ratio, but I think it's like 60%:40% Rear:Front) and 4wd is only engaged when selected or when the rear wheels slip(on the newer models) with no transfer case slippage. Also, 4wd has the low range 4X4 selection from the transfer case.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 PM
hllon4whls
Elder User
Originally Posted by JerrySimm
Just to clarify, I'm sure you already know this, but there is a difference between 4wd and AWD, and both options are available on Explorers. AWD has all wheels driving all of the time with some slippage in the transfer case (Can't remember the power ratio, but I think it's like 60%:40% Rear:Front) and 4wd is only engaged when selected or when the rear wheels slip(on the newer models) with no transfer case slippage. Also, 4wd has the low range 4X4 selection from the transfer case.
I would take either and can find neither, at least using the ford vehicles inventory search feature. The 4wd feature comes with an auto mode, right?
The AWD would suit me just fine. Like I said, I dont plan to rock climb with this grocery getter.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
KawiG5
Senior User
I have a 1996 Explorer XLT and am pretty happy with it. I bought it used about a year and a half ago. It has required some work but that was due to the previous owner's negligence. The only thing I don't care much for is the ControlTrac 4X4 system. I live in PA. My Explorer 4X4 is nothing like the 4X4 on my 1989 Bronco II. I have found myself climbing hills in the snow somewhat sideways. Aside from that, I have been quite happy.

Quick Reply: Any Issues with Explorers