Carb Heat Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:23 PM
nminer1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb Heat Alternatives

My 351W with a after market holley doesn't idle when the air is cold. It runs for a bit then dies a sooty exhaust death. Once the motor warms up (with one foot on the brake and one on the gas) it runs fine and idles down to curb idle. When the weather is warm it starts on high speed idle and comes down to curb idle without issue. I have read other posts about similiar issues and how they can be solved with the carb heat function working properly. Apparently carb icing causes the idle jets to not function. The thing is, my motor has been swapped and the vaccum controls along wih the shroud on the exhaust manifold have long gone. Is there any creative way out there to get warm air to my air cleaner? Could I still even get the exhaust shroud and then, how would I figure out all those vaccum controls. Looks like it must operate off some sort of temp switch to go from heated air to cold. Any suggestions would be nice. This is most frustrating issue when I need to fire up the truck to plow.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:34 PM
johnve
New User
sooty exhaust death

That "sooty exhaust death" indicates too much fuel and not carb icing to me. I am assuming this is a carb and not EFI, right? There should be a vacuum pull off on the choke that puls the choke open after the engine starts. Does the choke start out closed and then open about 1/4 inch after the engine is running?

Old 03-09-2005, 07:36 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It is carb icing. The ice forms in the idle air bleeds and clogs them up causing it to run way too rich.
I made a piece that fit's over my header tube for my 77. There is a picture in my gallery.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:54 PM
nminer1
Freshman User
Ice Ice Baby

Running way to rich is an understatment. The exhuast gets sooty one minute after a cold start that it makes my snowbanks black, then it stalls. I'm sure that won't be to good for the flower beds beneath the snowbank. I don't think its the choke because on a cold dry day it starts fine. It's not consistant. Thinking it's a air temp/humidity issue. I saw the photos in gallery. Where did you get that hose? Do you take it off in warmer months? My headers are alot different, I can probably rig up some sort of heat proof shroud to go above the header, with some sheet metal.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The hose is a standard replacement heat riser hose. I got it at Autozone.