Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Stick welder question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:19 AM
midlf
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stick welder question

I need some info on stick welders. I haven' used one since I was a kid 40 years ago at the canning plant and I really didn't know anything then (thought I did though!).

What rating is needed in a stick welder for home shop, hobby farm use? I see a range of ratings with the top typical of 225 or so. What about DC, is it important? Most new stick welders have DC, but some used buzz boxes at the farm auctions are AC only.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:23 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
225 amps is more than enough for home, shop, hobby and farm use. How much power you'll need would be determined by what size and type of electrode you're going to use. For instance 1/8" E7018 electrode would require about 110-140 amps. Depending on what you're welding and in what position. E6013 requires about 85-125 amps for 1/8" electrode. Larger electrode like 5/32" E7018 needs 155-190 or so. That's plenty big, I doubt you'd ever really need to go bigger than that.

The advantage of a DC welder is smoother arc and you can switch polarity to suit the situation. Also E6010 which is a deep penetrating fast freeze electrode, is DC only. You can't use it AC. For AC ,a similar electrode would be E6011. But E6011 makes a lot of spatter.

The advantage of an AC welder is they are less expensive to be had with greater power. For example: Lincoln's 230V AC/DC 225/125 which does both, is rated 225A AC @ 20% duty cycle and 125A DC @ 20% duty cycle.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will ditto everything horsepuller says and will add that I have operated for 18 years with nothing but an AC only Lincoln Tombstone. I have gotten by quite well with it. Only just recently I added a 180 Amp MIG to the collection and it's a great addition. I use the tombstone for heavy stuff now and the MIG for lighter work.

If you are on a really tight budget, you can be a skinflint like me and get by with an AC crackle box, but as horsepuller recommends a DC is easier to use and more versatile, giving more rod options.

Hope this helps,
Doc