General Automotive Discussion

While we're all ranting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we're all ranting

Ever notice how all of these truck stores never have anything instock besides maybe, if your lucky, an air filter? I want to go into an off roading/truck store and come out the same day with a product. I don't want to hear, well we have to get it from our warehouse, you can get it by tomorrow. Heres an idea, how about you put the store at the warehouse? I'm not talking about major stores like autozone or pep boys where there warehouse might be a couple states over but the local ones whos warehouse is just across town.

I really understand ordering if you have an uncommon truck, something that you rarely see on the road (AKA: A Chevy ). Now if you have the most common truck on the road, one of the two most recent F-150 designs, there shouldn't be a problem getting something same day unless they are just sold out of the item.

- Chris

Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
True.

I had an alternator go out on me in my '02 SD last weekend. It wasn't until I called the fourth auto parts store before I found it. AN ALTERNATOR FOR CRY'N OUT LOUD! That's like a grocery store not have'n milk and bread!

ERRRR! Don't get me going!

Last edited by RocketScience; 03-07-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 PM
King Triton
Postmaster

I can join in on this rant!How about not being able to get the parts to fix those alternators!I can take one apart,test the bridge rectifier,the diode trio,the stator,the armature,only to find out that I cant buy a lousy $5 part,oh no,I have to buy a reman,which for my Mark VIII was about $150!What the heck did Ford send me to school for to learn how to rebuild them if they wont sell me the parts!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I've been notice'n those stock shelves behind the counter at the auto parts store gettin smaller and smaller every year. Kinda scary.

Less and less parts, and more and more:

Scooters
Go-carts
Cheap Pneumatic tools
T-shirts
Caps
Nascar stuff
Etc.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:35 PM
heavnbound
Elder User
Ok I got to get in on this one too!

Here's my story... Went to pick up a part at the local Base Exchange at Ft. Wainwright (trying to save money) and asked how much is a battery blanket for my 2004 Excursion?"
A simple question which is pretty pertinent given my location.
"We don't have any in stock. We'll have to order it from our Anchorage store."
"How long will that take?"
"Well the next order won't be in till next week." (It was Wednesday at the time)

I went to another local parts shop and asked again "How much for a battery blanket for my 2004 Excursion?"
"That will be 62.00 for that battery blanket."
"62.00!! Are you sure?"
"Yep. That's what it shows here. Do you want one?"
No. Thanks!" and I walked out.

Went one more place to try again. This time however I had better luck. I found the very same battery blanket for 20.00!! I grabbed it, flipped the guy a $20 and ran!

Not only can you not find the parts you need up here, but most of the time they are waaay overpriced!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:02 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
my biggest peeve is when you have exhausted all your options and finally have to break down and let them order whatever part you need and they tell you it will be in at a certain time, between here and than you prep for whatever it is you will be doing and when its time to pick up your part it is still not there and when it finally is there, its too late to work on anything. i had that problem with upper ball joints a few weeks ago. that really makes me mad.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every time I hear "we can order it" in a parts store I reply "yeah, so can I and get it cheaper and faster"

If they actually had parts in stock, they might not lose so much of my business to mail order/Online companies.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:15 AM
4wheelinbroncos
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldhalftons
Every time I hear "we can order it" in a parts store I reply "yeah, so can I and get it cheaper and faster"

If they actually had parts in stock, they might not lose so much of my business to mail order/Online companies.
I have gotten to the point where i just call the part store and ask if they have it in stock and if they say no, I call a mail order company and order it over the phone and i usally get it cheaper (even after shipping charges) and quicker

Old 03-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by RocketScience
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I've been notice'n those stock shelves behind the counter at the auto parts store gettin smaller and smaller every year. Kinda scary.

Less and less parts, and more and more:

Scooters
Go-carts
Cheap Pneumatic tools
T-shirts
Caps
Nascar stuff
Etc.
You forgot the:

Tornado fuel "savers"
spinner hubcaps
Window tint

Old 03-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
my biggest peeve is when you have exhausted all your options and finally have to break down and let them order whatever part you need and they tell you it will be in at a certain time, between here and than you prep for whatever it is you will be doing and when its time to pick up your part it is still not there and when it finally is there, its too late to work on anything.
Or when it is the wrong part and it is already too late or even better, a day or two later than originally expected.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:28 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Torque1st
You forgot the:

Tornado fuel "savers"
spinner hubcaps
Window tint
And air fresheners, automotive soap and wax, trailer ***** and recievers,and if you are lucky you'll see a hitch, but it won't fit what you have so don't get your hopes up.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:28 AM
highboy 74
Senior User
The reason these auto part stores keep less and less inventory is because they have to pay taxes on the inventory they have on hand. Thus the reason they never keep anything in stock except the best selling items. Capitolism would work alot better if we just kept government away from it.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:15 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by highboy 74
The reason these auto part stores keep less and less inventory is because they have to pay taxes on the inventory they have on hand....
I would normally agree with you on this, but it doesn't make sense in this case, given the fact that the NEW inventory now consists of:

(4) four Pocket-Rockets at $449.99 each.
(2) two 'suspended' Go-carts at $749.00 each.
(2) two "un-suspended' Go-carts at $349.99 each.
(6) six gas Scooters at $229.99 each.
ETC. $$$
ETC. $$$

A parts house could probably stock a few more of the REAL automotive essentials if they weren't fiddle'n around with this stuff. IMO.

In other words, their inventory I guess.....has changed.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:46 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think a lot of the problem here is that you guys are going to the wrong parts store! On the rare occasion that I actually go into the local Kragen, yes, that crap is all over the store. But when I really need some decent parts, I go to the Napa store, which, around here, is still a PARTS store, not a tacky automotive junk shop. Napa often has the stuff I need, or can get it, if not the same day from one of the 4 other Napa stores in the area, then from the warehouse or one of the other 2 stores in the next county. Usually the same day, if it's early enough in the day, or by the next day. I have been really impressed with their service and inventory, and it's worth the higher (in some cases, not all) prices. But, I still get a lot of stuff online as well. Last order from Summmit: ordered online Wednesday night, shipped from Sparks, Nev. Thursday, FedEx ground, free shipping, had it in my hot little hands Friday afternoon. I was impressed. Kragens, all they do is tick me off most of the time, Autozone, we don't have one (Thank God), local mom and pop store, run by idiots so I don't go there anymore. -TD

Old 03-08-2005, 10:58 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I have had very good luck with the parts store I go to (Bumper to Bumper in North Branch MN).

They usually always have the part I need and if they don't, they will call the other stores in town to find it so I don't have to go running all over town. Not only that but they have run down to thier warehouse (about 40 miles away) on more than one occasion to get a part I needed so I could have it that day. Can't complain here.

Quick Reply: While we're all ranting