General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Josh79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phones

Recently my parents switched to cellular one phones so i switched with them and we all got a plan together. Problem is that the place in our small town is not coorperate and they only had refurbished phones. We were not aware of this and i was not able to go with my parents or i would have suggested going somewhere else. Well we got a 2 year plan and free refurbished phones. The phones have been giving us major problems. Some wont charge and mine has just decided not to accept calls so people call me and they do not get to my phone for some reason while a few calls have gotten through. So we went back and talked with them and they said they could get us other refurbished phones but we dont really want to go that route again. There is still a chance we may get new phones from her but we have to go and talk to them again. So we went out of town and we went to a cooperate cellular one dealer and the cheapest phone they have is 150. Then we thought we could get these phones for 30. They are replacements for lost stolen broken phones (they call them lsb's). Well then they realized they can only give one out per contract for some odd reason. They are going to contact us monday or tues after they talk to the head boss about it and we may get a deal. What i was wondering is has anyone got a phone on ebay? I have checked it out and seen some cellular one phones that i think we could have them transfer our numbers and plan to. Anyone done this or no of any other options? It is 200 to get out of the plan and that is 200 per phone unfortunately and they are 2 yr contracts. This is a common problem according to the woman at the cooperate dealer. So if anyone has any suggestion or ideas plz tell. If not i guess u can learn from our mistake.

Old 03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my opinion. . . .

Get on the phone with customer service (cell service) and let them know that you are not happy with their (representative's) service.
One provider has a 15 day no questions asked return poicy. Verizon, I think.

I've been with Verizon for almost 8 years now, and I don't hesitate to contact Customer Service. I have gotten better results this way, than visiting the local corporate store. The customer service people have more 'latitude' than the store does, in my experience.

Let your provider know that you are NOT satisfied, and that you don't want 'refurb' phones with a NEW contract, you want NEW phones.
(Have your folks put your name on the contract first, so that they will even talk to you.) This practice is common-place. Verizon wouldn't even talk to my son, until I put his name on the contract, too.

Another tactic that works (when all else fails) is to tell them that you are going to let everyone you know that this wireless provider is terrible an to stay away from them, no matter what. (Just be prepared to follow-thru with this!!)

Good luck.

That was my 2¢.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:22 AM
keith w
Posting Guru
That's crazy! Having to sign contracts on old used beaters? That's like a buy-here pay-here car lot You must really live in the boonies. I am guessing you are on an all AMPS system? Really, this company should be beaten with the phones they gave you and have the contracts shoved...well nevermind that!

But as far as the phones on ebay, yeah, you can find some decent stuff on there. You need to find out what kind of system you are using though.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:42 AM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Josh79,
I have purchased most my cellphones on ebay without any problems. As keith w said however, you must be sure that the phone(s) you purchase works with the same provider you are currently with. This may require you to 'ask seller a question'.

Remember, your contractual obligation is with the service, not the hardware (phones).

Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Cowboy_351
Elder User
I would be careful when purchaseing off of Ebay. I've purchased my last two cell phones off of Ebay, the first one I never had any problems out of but the most recent one has givin me several problems. Also, a friend of mine purchased and was charged for a phone off of Ebay but he never recieved the phone. He is still working to get the money back. My best advice if purchasing off of Ebay would be to check the sellers history and make sure that he or she has all positive feedback.

Another option that might be worth looking into is a service plan. I dont know if Cellular One offers one but with Nextel you can purchase this plan for 3 dollars a month and it covers practically anything you can do to your phone. It also does not matter where you purchased the phone, they will repair it if it is in your possession. Like I said, I'm not sure if cellular one has this or not but it might be worth money if you have used phones that you are constantly having problems with.

Dave

Old 03-08-2005, 12:58 PM
GreatWhite
Freshman User
I have been with Cellular One since the merger with AT&T. I'm in the boonies also. I shopped AT&T wireless online and got some phones that I'm happy with. They have online prices which are much better than in the Cellular store (at least AT&T did).

Since you have a 2 year contract and calls are not coming into your phone, you have a valid complaint. If its the phone they should replace it. If Cellular Ones service in your area is that poor, maybe complaining will get you let out of the contract, since they cannot keep up their end of the deal.

good luck.