2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Aubrey3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports

The new CR 2005 Car issue just arrived. I opened and immediately looked at the F-150. Ouch!!! The 150 got a solid black on reliability (page 51). Some of the text "The F150 power train is not as smooth as that in the Toyota Tundra ..." Obviously, the F-150 did not receive a recommended buy.

So I quickly scanned to the back to see what components I should expect problems (page 92) ... To my surprised, everything except Body Integrity was solid red (meaning very good) and Body Integiry was half red (meaning good). The 04 actually showed better than the 03 which had a check mark for predicted reliability. As a matter of fact, the component scan was almost identical to the Tundra.

So I went back and read the review on the Tundra: "Currently our top rated full size pickup" ... "Ride is civilized, the cabin is quiet and roomy and fit and finish is top notch..."

Things that just don't compute in my book:

Tundra towing = 6800 lbs. That is abt what Nissan rates their new Fronteer at ... ant they call it a mid-size. Is it fair to call this a full size just because it is big?

Ford gets banged for not having a real smooth transmission. I can feel mine shift, but I have to really watch for it or I will miss it. I am sure if the Tundra tried to pull 9500 lbs like the F-150, it's transmition would be a little less smooth.

The Titan gets marks for fit and finish where the 150 does not. Maybe it is because I have the Lariat, but this is extremely well done.

So I read the Titan review. It received the 'recommended' status ... as it should for it is a competitive vehicle. It received a clear circle for reliability implying it was average on reliability. I turned to the component details page (91) and it had FIVE (5) half red circles.... Remember, the 150 had one with the rest being rated higher.

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the Ford was bad and the others good. Go figure.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:04 PM
dilas
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess, the consumer report is based on comments from subscribers doing their annual reviews along with the evaluators doing the testings on hand pick products. I get the reviews to follow up on any applicances, electronics, and vehicles that I own. I try to answer it the best I can, so that others will follow. Thus, we benefit from each other based on their experience on any products. I don't know if any or many of you subscribe the consumer reports and do the reviews. I'm sure if most of you do, then the rating will come up positive only if majority of you are pleased with your new F150's. I was kind of discouraged on this 2005 report, but knowing it is a first year model on the new design. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:35 PM
tonythec
Freshman User
I, also and avid CR reader for 20+ years, scanned to the F150 quickly and was disappointed but not surprised. I have 4000 miles on my 150 4x4 and love it. I will say that my wife has a Chevrolet Suburban and it's comfort is beyond anything I have been in, besides a TownCar. My son has a Dodge and it has been terrible.

All of the consumers publications, CReport, Intellichoice, etc are high on the Chevrolet for full-size trucks, but am really high on my Ford!

Old 03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
bnnash
New User
They mentioned in the introduction to the reliability ratings that they do not include a category for drivetrain because it is almost never a problem area, EXCEPT with the F150 4X4. That is what led to the poor rating.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:27 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I take it with a grain of salt. I have over 16K on my 2004 4X2 SCREW Lariat and as far as I'm concerned it's the best truck on the market. There isn't another manufacture that can come close to the interior of the new fords. I haven't had any vibe problems, but I have seen many posts on this site referring to them. Ford is still the most popular selling truck.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:44 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't even try to decipher CRs ratings. They say the Focus wagon is a problem vehicle, but the sedan is recommended. These vehicles are made from the same parts, put together on the same assembly line. Oh, I guess the assembly-line workers like the sedan, but slap the wagon together because they don't care for it? None of it makes any sense.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
For my money I think the Titan is one of the ugliest trucks out there. The F-150 is easily the best looking and frankly I think it is fine all the way around. CU typically rates the Japanese vehicles highest and I don't expect this to change anytime soon. After all, it is in keeping with its tradition as being part of the Bash America contingent.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 AM
rodneysch
Junior User
I don't know how much smoother a truck can be when I can't feel my Lariat running now?

Old 03-04-2005, 12:45 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Because it's Consumer Reports. If it's a Honda or a Toyota, it gets a recommended rating. If it's a domestic, it gets trashed.

Old 03-04-2005, 08:36 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What's funny is a major magazine back in 2004 said the F150 rode better then the Chevy and the Dodge, and handled off road terrain better then the others. As far as the transmission, heck it shifts just as smooth as my wifes Honda, and CR loves the smoothness of the Honda trans, so I don't get it.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Missouri Mule
Junior User
I just visited the on-line web site and looked at the rating and posted my own opinion. Overall, I didn't think it was that bad. Most probably, the reliability had to do with "teething" problems that any new vehicle has. I also suspect it might have something to do with the vibration issues listed in this forum. Very likely this coorelates to the standard tires on the vehicles.

Clearly, the styling is light years ahead of the butt ugly Titan and the Toyota leaves me cold. The decision to buy the Ford was a slam dunk.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:34 AM
tonyw4z1l
Junior User
I dumped my subscription of CR a long time ago. Their ratings were often politically motivated and inconsistent. They wouldn't rate the big ticket items I cared about and rated commodities like toothpaste and shampoo instead. With the Web today you can do your own research and make the right decision. If I bought a truck simply because it was Japanese or shifted smooth then I would be a pretty un-informed consumer. I made the right decision buying a Ford and I didn't need CR.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:01 AM
TX-Import
Junior User
Thumbs up

Well I guess I will add my 2 cents. I have been an avid Toyota fan for years, I mean that is all I wanted and drove. Granted I did not have a Tundra but a Tacoma. From my experience and buddies who did have the Tundra, it is a nice truck, but still needs work. The motor is down on power compared to the big three and it is basically designed off of the L. Cruiser platform which in my opinion does not qualify as an SUV except for on size. Any Way what I am saying is that given what a huge Toyota fan I was and seeing there declining Quality (MO) I test drove and purchased my first Ford ever ('04 FX4 Screw). I have to say even with a few minor bugs (first year production so expected) the new F150 is hands down better than the Tundra/Tacoma and almost reminds me of my first Tacoma (95). I love this truck so much it reminds me of the reason I fell in love with Toyotas years ago and I could not belive it.

Just my 2cents

Old 03-04-2005, 12:52 PM
2005 Screw.
New User
Consumer Reports Math

Consumer reports rates vehicles based upon subscriber complaints about the vehicles they drive. It stands to reason that the best selling vehicle for the past 2 decades (F150) has more complaints simply because there's more of them! Subscribers that are happy with their vehicles are far LESS likely to respond to the survey that CR puts out. I doubt that consumer reports factors that into their ratings.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

The Titan and Frontier and all that other junk is just plain UGLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO FORD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ruckus; 03-04-2005 at 01:51 PM.