Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cool Down Timers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Subsailor1127
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Down Timers

Good day all, I was talking with a friend yesterday who has a PSD. He has installed a "cool down timer" for his truck that allows it to run after the key is removed to cool down after heavy work (towing) for 2/4/6 minutes. I had not really thought about that before. He said it allows the oil in the turbo to cool down and not boil after shut off. Do a lot of you guys use these?

Old 03-03-2005, 08:24 AM
JMorton
Senior User
I have one, love it. It's called the Diesel Turbo Lifesaver and you can see it here at www.mrtruck.net
I can set it for one minute all the way up to 240 minutes. It's worth it's weight in gold in the summertime when I'm pulling the 5er!

Old 03-03-2005, 09:36 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Viper Alarm/Remote Starter for my truck and I love it! The remote starter has a turbo timer built in and I have it set to run for 5 min. You have to activate the timer by pushing two buttons on remote. Works awesome!

Old 03-03-2005, 11:20 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
i havent decided if I need to spend the money for one at this point. I dont drive at speeds over mach 1 and I allow myself time to reach a destination after I leave the interstate. This allows the engine to cool down considerably. Then while signing in to the camp ground, the engine is idling to cool even more. The main reason I use the pyrometer is to watch the engine during working miles. Havent had a problem in 35 years.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:49 AM
missouguy
Elder User
Originally Posted by JMorton
I have one, love it. It's called the Diesel Turbo Lifesaver and you can see it here at www.mrtruck.net
I can set it for one minute all the way up to 240 minutes. It's worth it's weight in gold in the summertime when I'm pulling the 5er!
Funny how these gizmos are always more expensive for Fords than any other brand.

Frank