power steering box adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:58 AM
gurusevaka
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering box adjustment

Hey,

I have tried searching but I can't find anything related to my question. I have a 1969 f100 and it has power steering. I just got it and the steering is so sloppy it is scary! The adjustmnet screw is all the way out and I tried to adjust it the way I thought it should be, by tightening the screw down till it stops then backing it of a bit. But that has not helped. I am wondering if there is a specific procedure to adjusting this box or not ie: enging running or off the ground???

Thanks in advance

Bubba

Old 02-24-2005, 11:29 AM
kwanderi
Senior User
At a minimum, you need to get the front wheels off the ground before adjusting. If it's as sloppy as you suggest, you'll probably end up replacing the steering box as you can't adjust that much slop out. Also check the other steering components like tie rod ends, rag joint, ect.

Keith

Old 02-24-2005, 11:40 AM
gurusevaka
New User
I ahve checked everything else and all seems to check out ok. there is some play in the pitman arm but nothing serious. I don't think the box has ever been adjusted at all. SO all I have to do is get the front wheels of the groundand adjust it? or does the engine have to running, I also read that I may have to adjust the control valve too. Is this true?