Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Relocating Rear Seat

Old 02-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Platinum01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating Rear Seat

Wondering if anyone out there has relocated there rear bench seat in a crew cab to accomadate a subwoofer box. I am looking to only move it about an inch or so and at first glance it looks as though the bench seat is bolted to a bracket that is in-turn attached to another bracket that is fixed to the truck frame. Does this sound like I could unbolt the bench and drill new holes and simply rebolt to the proper torque and be a safe alternative? Thanks for your input in advance.

Trent D
Platinum01
01' P/S SD CC

Old 02-22-2005, 12:13 PM
Mike Allen
Senior User

Actually it may be a little more difficult than that, the rear bench is secured with Torx machine screws in the front and through the cab bolts in the rear. Essentially you have screws (albeit big ones) in the front and nuts in the back. Also, the floorpan is contoured to accomodate the bench, and the bench takes up the entire contour (low spot). I was able to go with 2 JL Audio 10W0 subs in two separate enclosed boxes. I had to remove the tool tray to accomodate the boxes but they work pretty good.

Now if you are going to compete for SPL at an IASCA Competiton then this is a very limited approach but if you just want some good depth to your music then I would suggest this approach.

BTW, I also run JL Audio components front and rear with front, rear and sub channels having their own amplifiers. I chose the JL Audio 300/2 for the front and rear components and a 250/1 for the subs. You could go larger amp-wise for the subs as they are rated at 500W peak and 250W RMS, but I have mine set at 125W RMS and they are plenty loud.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
unluckylow
Senior User
Hey Platinum01, I know what your talking about.There are two brackets one that attaches to the floor like Mike Allen spoke of which has two torx bolts and two through the cab bolts, but on top of that bracket sits another bracket.which can be unbolted and moved. My friend and I did what you are talking about and had no problems as long as you dont move it to far foward cause the seat belts wont go through the seats if its to far foward.Hope this helps you decide what to do.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Platinum01
New User
Thumbs up

Thanks to Mike Allen and Unluckylow I now have the confidence to attempt the modification that I was considering. Unlucky, I understand what you saying about the seat belt length that comes up thru the back rest and bench bottom, I am now wondering if anyone has attempted to lengthen the belt bracket by installing a longer piece of steel that brings the belt out farther to match up with the moved seat. I know you would have to weld to the steel piece already in place since the belt is sewn around it and then drill a new hole in the added piece for the bolt. What are yours or anyones thoughts on this manuever.

Thanks
Platinum01

Old 02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Mike Allen
Senior User

As long as you don't carry anyone with longer legs than a toddler, moving the seat forward and adding the metal extender should be no problem. How much space do you need for the sub box? The only real issue that I see is attaching to the child seat anchors if you plan on putting a baby seat in the back. The anchors are mounted to the back of the cab just below the rear window.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:37 PM
cangim
Postmaster
You could probably have the new longer belts put in so you wouldn't have to modify the mounting system. Don't know which would be easier. How big of a box are you planning on putting in there? If you remove the carpeting and such off the back wall you'll gain about another inch as well.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Platinum01
New User
Never thought about getting some new belts that may be longer, good suggestion cangim. As for the box, its not all that big at all, but I'm one of those people who cuts everything so close that I ended up needing about another 3/4" of space and thats with already removing the back liner. I was trying to get the most air space possible to accomadate my system, which it looks like I have done but I will have to change a few other things to complete the task. The box which is constructed of 3/4" MDF, #8 2-1/4" wood screws, and liquid nail adhesive that is some strong stuff will house four Rockford Fosgate, Punch Stage 2 - 8" 4 ohm subs that are rated at 200 watts rms. I would like to get the power for each sub close to 200 watts so that I can get the most out of the subs. What do recomend for an amp? What about wiring? You are the other one posting to my message on the Audio board I think!

Thanks to everyone for there help!

Trent D.
Platinum01
01' P/S SD CC

Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I am very satisfied with Rockford as far as amps and subs go, I have two eights behind a RF amp in my truck right now and probably won't ever stray from RF for amps.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:23 PM
JRB
Senior User
Subs

are you sure the subs will not fit behind the seat, I have a 02 crew cad and the subs and boxes does fit behind the rear seat. I did have to take out the tool tray.