Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Convert a 2WD Aerostar to AWD???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:46 PM
93AeroEB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Torsen Rick
Silicone sealant is common on Ford axles, t-cases, and transaxles. Or at least with the ones I've worked with. I don't know how much that really saves them over the cost of actual gaskets, at least for things like axle covers. I also don't know what varient of it they use in production, but we've often used the common red medium to higher-temp Permatex that you can buy at Advance Autoparts...
I know this is a bit off topic - but Subaru crankcase halves (flat-4 engine) are sealed with "fujibond" stuff - definately not RTV, and it is good for well over 25 years of daily driving - and 500 miles or more (bottom ends last that long or longer with proper maitnence - head gaskets will blow at least once in that amount of time) - over $20 a tube tho

I bet that stuff would work really well on transfer case halves.

The powertrain manual generally specs Locktite products as preferred, and it specifies that the sealent for the transfer case halves should be "Non-Acid Cure Silicone Rubber E7TZ-19562-A (ESL-M4G273-A)"

Most RTV silicones (including all Permatex I've seen) use acetic acid (vinegar) to cure - maybe that is why you have problems with foaming transmission fluid and overheating

Last edited by 93AeroEB; 02-23-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:31 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93AeroEB,

If you need assistance with your van, let me know, I am right around the corner from you. (literally!)

Old 11-06-2016, 03:25 PM
avTronic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So 11 years later, did you ever do the conversion? Just curious. I also read something very interesting in a post above; transmission will overheat if it is overfilled. Well I can second that. My Aerostar has never had a transmission issue it's entire like up until the week that I overfilled it. I knew transmission had an overfill tube (unlike engines) and didn't think there was need to drain any fluid. A week later after opening it up on the highway with a 800 lb load of wood to the dump, I get a transmission whining sound on the return trip. 2 miles from the house it stops going forward or reverse. I towed it home and maoved it into position by Erving it high and crawling but now I'm looking at a costly repair.
This is a rare version as it is the extended AWD version. It's also a 96 and from what I hear, has a better transmission than pre-96 Aerostar. The wife wants it to go to the scrap yard as I have a 2013 E250 work van but we al know that's crazy talk. I also have outfitted it with 16" ties and rims from a Ford Explorer for the last 6 years and improves the overall stance and look of this tough van. I highly recomend it. Unfortunately It does require thin spacers in the rear and thick spaces in the front to get the weeks to clear.
I'm looking at used transmission on Craigslist but all I can find are non AWD version. Does anyone know if I can just transfer the tail piece and what ever else is needed from my granny to a non AWD version?