any ideas?

thanks
josh

2005 f350 v10 with auto

Old 02-20-2005, 05:25 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
josh
since you are under warrenty , give the dealer a call or stop in and ask about it.
sounds to me more like a mixture problem, but its worth a land line to ask and play safe

Old 02-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I find that in colder weather it is wise to first key to run and let most of the power on self test run before actually starting. I also associate weirdness like this with confuggled electrick so I leave the battry disconnected over night and reattach next morning and let the system reboot and relearn. If these two suggestions don't help then off to the dealer you go.

Please lets us know how she turns out as there are a few of us 2005 V10 owners in here that like to keep up with problems and fixes.

Mine does a wierd high idle dance some days but so far settles down once she warms all the way up.

I have the automatic temp controls and unless I am too humid inside I always kick off the AC side of using heater. I know, a weak attempt for better MPG. But what the heck, it's worth a try.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:41 AM
brianas
Senior User
thanks for the replys guys

I will disconnect the battery and try this 1st

I really dread going to the dealer like most others
so I ll save that for last resort or if it worsens

I do have a code scanner so Ill check that also
thanks
Josh

Old 02-21-2005, 01:25 PM
captchas
good luck josh. hope every thing works out. freds allways 100% on top of these motors

Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
howardlj
Senior User
Charlie- Since you're the man with credentials, please tell me what I have to look forward too when I get the new F350 V10 CC XLT 4x4 4.30 auto in March. I ordered the V10 from Jeff sight unseen with no test drive. Can't find a V10 SD around here anywhere. Also this is the first Ford product I have ever purchased and am 60 years old planning to pull a 36 foot fifth wheel behind this awesome one ton SRW truck!

Old 02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
captchas
Wink

1 you ordered from a very good saleman, i had to do the same order blind, but in ways i had not. as to the rest let me point you into fredvon4's direction for the rest. fred is the mr. ontop of the v10, i am not. i'm a vw tech shop foreman. who is very happy with all the advise i got from fred. as to ford being your first i wish you a lot of luck with it as i am sure you will love it . look at all the posts here in the v10 area it is full of great advise, the stongest i will give is listen to freds words this man knows this truck and engine .

Old 02-21-2005, 07:07 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
howardlj

You are in for a treat. That is unless you are accustomed to 18-25mpg vehicles..then you will be shocked! I am at 6500miles and still have not gotten her to give 12mpg consistently. Then again I am a little hot on take off. These are really fun trucks to drive.

Relative to almost all other pre 2001 heavy duty gas trucks these things get respectable fuel effeciency if you can appreciate the performance delivered vs. the big honking air dam and very heavy trucks they are.

I know where you were coming from with Captain Charlie

His first couple of postings had the Dealership mechanic 40 years and I almost messed up and flamed him for the questions he was asking. No way a Ford tech should ask those things here!

I am 10 years your junior sir, and I am amazed that you (your generation is not big on risk) ordered on of these trucks with out a test drive.

Mine was one of the early 2005 orders and they did not exist yet when I dropped my order. I had experiance with Fords early V10 and PSD powered heavy duty and SuperDuty trucks but I was very worried getting a first year new engine and complete power train.

There are a few quirks with the new 4x4 front end, the HORRID tires, and the 5R110 Torqueshift 5 speed tranny in tow/haul mode.

My best testimony is that these are extreemy quiet, very nimble, and suprisingly powerful trucks. I especially like the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller and the Torqueshift trans. These trucks were built to tow. And they do it very well.

My best caution is to be careful with it until those tires are broken in. They seemd OK in town but when I got her out on the highway in the first 50 miles the truck was requiring constant steering corrections and it really made me think Ford mess up with the change to coil sprung front end. By 75 miles she tightened right up and now I am happy with the pavement performance but in mud, grass, or gravel roads road the tires are still total garbage.

Some where in this forum are my long posts on break in of the BRAKES and motor.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:48 AM
captchas
Thumbs up

fred
again you hit the nail on the head, yes i was very dumb about the v10, this is my 19th new ford but all of then have been pushrod motors except for one a flat head, i have owned and driven many ford pickups and have always loved them,the s/d driven a few but they where all smokers. after some one like me spends 40 years working on some thats not the best from over seas you tend to be a bit on the side of caution, when i drove the s/d for a demo it had a 5.4 and felt under powered thats when i started asking about the v10. thanks to every one here i could not be happier. this truck rocks almost like a 427 in a 64 gal but its a truck.
this site and the people in it have made for a great running ride

Last edited by captchas; 02-22-2005 at 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
brianas
Senior User
well I checked codes=none
and then disconnected bat. made no difference
it still does it
I cant believe Im the only one...

well im not worried for now--if I have to go to the dealer in the future I
will ask them

it drives normal
anyways--just an update
Josh

Old 03-03-2005, 06:55 PM
05v10
Mountain Pass
Something you need to watch for in the tire dept. is that Ford will on purpose keep the air pressure low on there tires so it rides well on the demo. This can ruin a good set of tires in less than 50 miles if it's not caught. The sticker on the door post does not always reflect what the manufacture of the tire recomends for the tire and also watch when you get your oil changed because sometimes they will lower the pressure without you knowing it. The first thing I tell them when I get an oil change is don't touch my tires. I get all of oil changes at the dealership until the warranty runs out, that way they can never question any maintenance on the truck if there is a problem.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have serviced my own new vehicles for over 30 years. Just keep the receipts and keep a maintenance manual. I write everything down, oil changes, filter changes, dates, mileage, now I will write my engine hours as well with my 05, tire rotations and even wax jobs. If you must get a dealer to do your oil changes, insist on a dealer that uses trained people. There are so many stripped oil pans, vehicles started without oil being replaced, charged for having your old filter wiped clean instead of being changed ,etc,etc,
Wrench.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 PM
captchas
i set mine up here https://myford.fordvehicles.com/serv...ord%3D15419550
but plan on dealer service anything else done i'll enter it as self done. the site is ggod and helps keep track of your car or and its service, tsb's ect. read it your self . it's free

Old 05-21-2005, 03:59 PM
brianas
Senior User
hello fellas

truck has still been idling funny
when its cold or just started- its the worst it will surge up and down
from like 700 to 1100 rpms so I guess its been getting a little worse
but until today its drove just fine and pulls its trailer etc.. no prob

today I started it and little wrench light came on and it idleing
pretty rough now lacking power dirving and its shifting funny

I am taking it to the same dealer that did the tranny recall
as they still need to address a driveline vibration they created during
the tranny recall

it goes in wed. AM - I hope they are fast-- for me : no truck=no work
I will post the outcome

I wonder if this will effect my MPG --- I think my numbers are lower than
what all you have been seeing with your 05's
I have been in the solid 6-7 mpg lately

FYI
truck just hit 10,000 miles yesterday
this will be the first trip to dealer except for tranny recall

later
Josh Brianas

btw-
I just hooked up the rear view camera to my avic n1
it is awesome--comes on automatically when you put it in reverse

Old 05-23-2005, 12:56 AM
howardlj
Senior User
My 2005 F350 V10 CC auto XLT w/ 4.30 gears with 973 miles is getting me 11.5-12.5 mpg with mixed driving. Am pleased w/results but have been babying it though. Can't wait to put the pedal-to-the-metal!!!

My experience with the Conti's (ordered AT but got M&S) is that they were squiggly in the first 100 highway miles but appear to be not too bad thereafter. Again I am pleased (B-rating) but shouldn't have paid $125 for something I didn't get.

Another "Victor" truck on the road and proud of it.

Last edited by howardlj; 05-23-2005 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: idle fluctuating- 05 v10