Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:39 PM
TexsDixieDiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Problems

I hopped in my 1994 4x4 F150 5.0 with a E4OD tranny the other day and run into some trouble.The truck hasn't been started in over a year and I just knew that something was going to go wrong. First off, the tranny wouldn't go in reverse. and it spit and sputtered in drive for a minute. The sputterin quit, but the backin didn't get any better. Then about 4 miles from the house, i look down and notice I had no oil pressure. No big deal I thought, sending unit is bad. WRONG! The engine began to peck and knock about a mile from the house and I limped in the driveway. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong with my truck? I am suspecting that the tranny is done and I will have to replace it which is no problem becuase I have one in the garage, but what has made the engine go knocky? I am suspecting the oil pump or even the drive gear for the oil pump. ANYBODY WITH ANY IDEAS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS

Old 02-14-2005, 06:43 PM
RLKBOB
Senior User
Sounds like either no oil, bad oil pump, clogged oil pump pick up screen or a bad oil leak. If you had no oil pressure why did you keep driving it?

Old 02-14-2005, 06:52 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well did you check the oil and see if there was even any oil in it? and did you check the tranny fluid? that could be why it wont kick into gear.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:00 PM
nzabka
Elder User
Hate to say it, but if the motor's knockin', you've probably messed it up. Sounds like an overhaul to me.

Also, if the oil has been in it for a year, it should have been changed before you even started it up. Oil will break down and separate, thus causing lack of proper lubrication, causing the problems you just described.