Help with 400 build recipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:54 PM
78BamBam
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help with 400 build recipe

I was wondering if you guys could give me your input on a good combination of parts for my 400 that I'm soon to rebuild. My truck is an F-250 4x4 with auto and 3.54 gears. Here's what I was generally thinking for a build recipe:
1) Badger flat tops (9.5:1 max)
2) Comp Cams 255DEH or 265DEH (not sure which, need input)
3) Roller timing set (0 degrees)
4) Weiand dual plane manifold
5) Edelbrock or Holley carb 600 cfm (which brand, have heard good and
bad about both)
6) Stock style valve train (I am not wealthy)

I plan on fully restoring the truck and would like it to tow very well (about 8000 pounds max), but also be able to cruise comfortably on the highway. I have seen lots of different combinations on this website, but I thought I would throw out what I want out of my truck and see what you guys could come up with. All your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:48 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have a pretty good recipe there. The only thing I would add is a dual exhaust system with free flowing mufflers.

As far as carb choice, I prefer the Holley because I have lots of experience with them and find them easy to find parts for. I have experience with The Carter AFB's and AVS's which is what the Edelbrock actually is. The problem with the Carters were that the pistons, bores and metering rods worked great until after awhile they would mechanically wear changing the calibration of the carb. Maybe Vic has done something about this, I don't know.

I think either of your cam choices would work okay.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted as you move along.

Have a great day,
Doc

Old 02-12-2005, 07:49 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
Maby do a little grinding & polishing on the exaust ports as well.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:30 PM
kc5hwb
Tuned
That is about the same recipe that I built mine into. I used the Comp XE262H cam kit, Edelbrock Performer 400 intake and Edelbrock 1406 carb. It runs well and strong, but pings real bad. After you build this, expect to do some work on the dizzy for recurving. No one told me this prior to building my engine and now I am having to deal with this ping. No big deal, really, I have some friends that are good mechanics and should have it taken care of shortly.

But you should like that recipe. That will make your truck pulls some weight for sure.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:26 PM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
6) Stock style valve train (I am not wealthy)

At least upgrade to Crane heavy duty rockers and pushrods.