Sponsored by:

49' Ford Progress pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49' Ford Progress pics

I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks, so I tought I'd post some pics of the progress I've made, I'm trying to get the frame & diffs completed & sent to the powder coaters by the end of the month or early next month,

With all the talk of steering latley, Here are some pics of my performance off-road full hydraulic steering,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68966&width=0
Here you can see the front vew of the cylinder & in the background you can see the front drive line hoop mount right in front of the t-case
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68967&width=0
Here is a look at the back of the cylinder & mounting,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68968&width=0
and here is the new cross member & some gusseting for the upper 4- link mounts,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=68969&width=0
I'll try to get pics posted of the steering valve & mounting later,

Last edited by Skipped_link; 02-11-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:39 AM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Nice work....and very nice welds!

Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the buildup I've been looking forward the most to following. Not only do you have the coolest body style, your fab skills are among the best. Welds look fantastic. I cannot wait to see this thing come together. Keep up the good work man!

Old 02-11-2005, 05:20 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
NICE welds! I cant wait to see it when youre done. What color do you have in mind?
you have the most "awesome" turcks in this forum that I can think of right now...

You know what would be interesting? You know how people section their "Customs"? It would be revolutionary to section a lifted truck. I'm not saying you should do that, but it would be new and very interesting to see.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:53 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Very nice work, i wish i could like that, and diddo on what pro said.

Looks like those are TIG, am i right, or are you using mig or stick?

Old 02-11-2005, 07:10 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
That's not stick....if so, we need to be bowing down. Looks like TIG.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like well executed tig to me.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Thanks for the compliments, here is the pic of the steering valve that I said I'd post earlier today,https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=69057&width=0

There is a little of all three types of welding on this project, most of what you see is MIG, I use the stick for heavier .ie lower 4-link mounts and such, the TIG is mostly used for lighter parts & aluminum, I chose to use the MIG for most everyinthing else becuase TIG is so time consuming, after I comlete my drive line cages I'll post a few pics of some TIG welding,

Rawpower, (or anyone else) what do you mean by "sectioning"? sounds interesting, when complete the truck will be blue & silver, kind of a cross between tearoffs & scallops in blue on the front going to silver in the rear.

If you guys are interested I'll try to dig up all the pics I can & start a thread,& go through most of the buildup from start till current & try to keep it updated as the project moves along, that or I could just keep posting new threads when ever I complete somthing sagnificant & worth looking at,

Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
Ditto on the welds, I should go there and help you build that beast, I might learn something.
What kind of front axle is that? Never seen one with the pumkin in the middle.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:53 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
You know how Hot-Rods and (more often) Customs often have low roof lines? Well...

Sectioning is when you take the body, cut a desired amount out of it (we'll say 4") in either the window/A-pillar region to give smaller windows, in the body area to make the truck look smaller, or both. Both give a more agressive look, but in my and most everyone else's the sectioning of the window area is the better looking of the two (and easier to complete).
With sectioning, not much is needed to be removed to get the desired look. Research it (especially before you get out the plasma cutter) it may interest you.

One "function over form" gain from sectioning is a lower roofline to clear objects like trees and a slightly lower center of gravity (minimal and obscure beyond notice, however).

Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
That would be a good idea to start a thread, there would be a lot of good tech of how to fab the right way in a project like yours, not to mention some pictures of a pretty cool truck.

Old 02-12-2005, 08:17 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is some definately nice welding and fabricating. The only question that i have is the 4link mount with the hydro have enough strength to keep from bending without being welded to the front diff?

(or is it?)

Old 02-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Skipped_link
Elder User
Originally Posted by bremen242
That is some definately nice welding and fabricating. The only question that i have is the 4link mount with the hydro have enough strength to keep from bending without being welded to the front diff?

(or is it?)
Your right, it is not welded to the center housing, but befor it goes to be powder coated it will be welded to the housing, it will also have two tube supports welded to the axle truss/steering/4-link mount each one will weld to the truss at the intersection that is already there (where the cylinder mounts are welded, the tube supports will go towards the back (pinion side) of the diff and bolt to the main web that is cast into the housing on either side of the pinion, this will help support the for & aft load from the 4-link bars, I think that should hold, (we'll find out this summer)

RawPower, thanks for the difenition, I thought about the chop top (thought it would look good with the hood scoop) I thought a "pro street" looking truck on 44's would look unique, but when I figured out how much work chooping a top on a 49" ford (or any other round roof type truck) having to cut out pie shaped sections here & there & stretching & shrinking ect. In short way over my head, my body work ability is limited, I thought about paying to have the roof chopped but I would like to have the truck come out of the shop & people know that 90% of the work was done myself, I already kind of feel a bit like I sold out by buying a hydraulic steering system instead of piecing it togeather myself, but the cost was not much different & having a little of some one elses knowledge can't hurt,

BroncoRoadKill, bring your winabago on up I can always use a hand, the front diff is actually a rear dana 70 with dana 60 knuckles & hubs/spindles,

Old 02-12-2005, 07:31 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Hey man that thing is sweet. This is the first I've seen this build up on here, and your doing awesome. Now I'm scared to post pictures of my progress.......Not quite as skilled as you are!

Old 02-14-2005, 01:31 AM
FordPickup460
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice work. Its been said before and i'll say it too, NICE WELDS ! There should be a picture of your project in the dictionary under the word 'awesome'. I cant wait to see it when its done, it looks sweet already. Keep up the good work !