1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Change in plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM
FarmKid52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change in plans

Hi everyone
I havent written in a while. I was thinking about the pacer but i was talking with a guya and he told me an idea. I am going to take out all the springs except one, and then put air helpers in between the frame and the leaf. Then ill be able to adjust my height and not be permanently low. I need to be able to adjust because i live on a farm.
Just thought I'd let everyone know and tell me what you think about it. Lately, my dad has been helping me with wiring. It got pretty bad under the dash. Right soon we are going to get a rol, pan made up with a bumper on top of it. It will be fun

Old 02-10-2005, 10:37 PM
rcflyr
Freshman User
I've never tried anything like that, this being my first project I don't have a lot of experience to give, but I think it's an interesting idea. Make sure you let the rest of us know how it works if you decide to do it!

Old 02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
IBlock6
Freshman User
I've never seen one used, but, I've been told you should leave two or three leaves with the air over leaf system. With just the main leaf there is potential for breakage.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Farmkid52 -

I have been thinking about something along the same lines. I want to install air bags, but I'm not too keen on installing a four link setup just to run them. However, your idea of adding an air spring over a leaf spring just sounds too springy to me.

My 56 came with only three leafs in the rear, the one main leaf and two helpers. I soon found out that the main leaf was busted on both sides. So, it seems to me that Iblock6's comment has merit. I would really be concerned about just the one main spring leaf supporting the whole truck weight, since mine didn't do too well.

How about this as an alternative: Replace the leaf spring with an I-beam (trailing link) that pivots on the forward spring hanger. Attach the beam to the axle like the spring (using the same hardware), either above or below the axle, and extend the I-beam just beyond the axle. Mount an air bag pad to the I-beam and a bag mount on the frame. Add a panhard bar to control side-to-side motion. Add the bags (etc). Now you would have the same idea, but in a stronger system where the bags are the only springs.

Still thinking...

Old 02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
ratthell52
Senior User
RJ,
I've thought of your idea too. If the bars were parrallel to the road at ride height it would probably be a great set of traction bars and be tuned to ride well also.
I'm going with 6 stock springs at first, may drop a couple out when its on the road
Later.. Randy

Old 02-11-2005, 11:20 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say "air helpers", I hope you don't mean air shocks.

Had an elCamino once with air shocks in the rear. Had to carry a Ch*vy small block and tranny in the back of it for a few days (for my then project vehicle). Blew out both air shocks.

Imagine using them for front suspension with your drivetrain right above them. Imagine hitting a bump at speed and blowing them. Imagine the ditch you're heading for.