General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Best Lotion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 11:37 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Lotion

Get your minds out of the gutter, people.

My new job at the cement plant is really killing my skin. It's getting dry, cracked, and flakey. We have Vaseline Intensive Care right now. It used to work for when I cleaned pools, but cement takes more out of your skin than chlorinated water does. I've heard of some weird types of lotion out there, including one called "Udderly Smooth". Aside from that one (didn't work too well), what is the best hand/body lotion for healing cement dried skin?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
What is it you specifically do there?

I did everything in the concrete business for 23 years, Perhaps I can help ?

Old 02-10-2005, 01:03 AM
SShank42
Senior User
Put bag balm on you hands and then put an old pair of socks on your hands before you go to bed. Bag balm come in a greenand black colored square can. I think you can get it at Walmart

Old 02-10-2005, 04:21 AM
captchas
have you tryed corn huskers? i am not a crete man but some one who gets a lot of diesel fuel on my hands it helps me.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've found Lubriderm helpful for dry skin in the winter. Any variety store or drugstore should have it. Apply it throughout the day. I assume you're wearing good gloves. On the socks on the hands, they sell white cotton gloves just for the purpose of keeping lotion on skin overnight.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If they are cracked open Neosporin, after thats healed, Neutrogena hand cream in the 2 oz tube. Also you need to wear gloves when exposed to chemicals, and I recommend the Nitrile gloves. It is OSHA law that your employer has to provide this type of protection. If you think gloves are for sissies then let me say one word, "Cancer".

Old 02-10-2005, 07:53 AM
NH-Hottie
Postmaster
I swear by original formula Curel. I have contact dermatitis and ekzema on my hands. The winters are brutal for my skin, and I find that this helps tremendously. Reapply each time you wash your hands. After your skin has healed, you won't need it as much. I have gotten some of the guys I work with, hooked on the stuff.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:04 AM
superspike
Senior User
Anything that contains Mineral Oil, Petroleum, or Petrolatum is drying. Use lotions that are only vegetable oil based. My favorite is Alba Botanica Very Emollient Lotion Unscented or Starwest Botanicals Unscented lotion (you should be able to find them at a health food store).

Old 02-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Waltdog
of American machinists

I often get huge cracks in my feet. The best lotion I have ever found is called AmLactin 12%.When I was a child this lotion was only available as a RX. But now it is sold over the counter. Ask the Pharmacist if they have it ,if not they will order it for you. It is made by upsher-smith. It works very good as it contains lactic acid,so it helps repair cracked skin.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
I bought a jar of Genes Vitiman E moisturizing lotion at Sam's club for my wife. Winters are really tough on her skin but so are a lot of the lotions. She can only use certain lotions, cremes, soaps, shampoo and conditioners. The Genes worked very good. I have used it on dry patches and it also worked very good. It also has A and D vitamins. It works very good for my daughter who has very sensitive skin. Has a light perfumey smell that goes away pretty quick.

The lime and cement suck the moisture out of your skin and the lime alone will burn like crazy. Vitol gloves would work great but probably would not last long or would be a real hinderance but if you can use them, I sure would. Your wife/girlfriend would really appreciate it too

Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I found some stuff at the hardware store called O'Keefe's Working Hands Creme, it's about the best I've found. It does leave your hands feeling a little greasy, and you can still feel it the next morning, so I guess it's still working. I've gotten Castrol SuperClean on my hands, and talk about getting dried out! As bad as, if not worse than concrete. This stuff works, though. -TD

Old 02-10-2005, 02:08 PM
natewoz
Elder User
I use this stuff called Aquaphor, it's made by Eucerin. It very thick, and really help hands that have gotten dry, cracked, and bloody from working outside all day in cold temps with bare hands.

Old 02-10-2005, 05:46 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a printer, and my hands used to crack open and bleed in the winter, from washing them so often. (Ink used for printing tears the heck out of your hands.)

My brother-in-law worked for Chevron (out in Wyoming) and they used to have this stuff called Onox (pronounced Oh-Nox).
This stuff is like a miracle cream for your hands.

When I first started using it, I got a pair of white jersey gloves and cut the finger tips out of them.
Before going to bed, I'd smear this Onox all over my hands, really thick, slip on the gloves and 'turn in'.
The next morning, like I said, it was like a miracle. Hands were not cracked anymore. . . didn't bleed.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.onox-inc.com/

A friend's Mother-in-law is mostly bedridden and (according to him) gets bedsores. My wife had ordered some of the Onox, so, I gave my friend some to try. His family is now 'hooked' on it. It works!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 06:21 PM
mjwhip2
Elder User
I'm with captchas on this one. Corn huskers is probably the best I've ever used. I used to work for a company delivering and installing pool tables. Handling the slate used to dry out my hands like nothing else. They turned me on to the Corn Huskers and ever since my hands have been as soft as a baby's behind.
Mike

Old 02-10-2005, 09:12 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
The sock on the hand thing overnight won't work too well since it is not just my hands that are drying out. My arms, sides, feet, anything that gets into contact with the cement powder. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mil1ion: I'm working mainly in the shipping end. The plant I'm at takes the clinker from our quarry and mills it, stores, and ships it. I am responsible for cleaning up any spills, leaks, or major damage. Lots of cement dust everywhere. Some days I go through 3-4 respirators/dust masks.

Quick Reply: Best Lotion