1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How to remove Rotors that are rusted on Ford Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM
903ASP
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys After trying to get my front 2001 Lincoln Nav rotor off a couple of days ago, with no luck, i decided to search the car/truck forums, in hopes that someone had gone through this already, and had found an easy trick to removing them. I read every post in this thread, and tried ALL tricks: gear/pulley remover, two bolts through caliper anchor holes, 3 lb. sledge, and even tried using heat from cutting torch......nada. Also tried sawzall, but it cut in about 1/2", and stopped. Thought blade dulled, so inserted new one, and it made no more head way. My last, and final attempt worked. I used my grinder with cutting wheel, cut through to hub, and just sliced into center area a little, as to not cut into hub. Then i cut a wedge in front edge of rotor, inserted large flat chisel, hit 3 times with 3 lb. sledge, rotor split apart, and old @#T&*^$# rotor slipped right off. When i did second front rotor, i by passed all of above, except cut off wheel, and had that one off in about 1/2 hr., compared to about 3 hrs. on first one. Thanks for all the tips guys, and i hope my experience, and solution, will help someone else. Good forum guys.....i registered, and book marked it

Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 AM
digitalshooter
Junior User
I Think there are 2 key things when using the bolt method: Spraying with pb blaster and putting the wheels back on, not tight and then backing with the car on the ground and breaking them loose.

But, each will have a divverent experience and method.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
kidzstang
Senior User
I use a 16 lb. long handle sledge to get them off but then smear the hub center hole with anit-seize to make it easier next time.

Originally Posted by 903ASP
Hi guys After trying to get my front 2001 Lincoln Nav rotor off a couple of days ago, with no luck, i decided to search the car/truck forums, in hopes that someone had gone through this already, and had found an easy trick to removing them. I read every post in this thread, and tried ALL tricks: gear/pulley remover, two bolts through caliper anchor holes, 3 lb. sledge, and even tried using heat from cutting torch......nada. Also tried sawzall, but it cut in about 1/2", and stopped. Thought blade dulled, so inserted new one, and it made no more head way. My last, and final attempt worked. I used my grinder with cutting wheel, cut through to hub, and just sliced into center area a little, as to not cut into hub. Then i cut a wedge in front edge of rotor, inserted large flat chisel, hit 3 times with 3 lb. sledge, rotor split apart, and old @#T&*^$# rotor slipped right off. When i did second front rotor, i by passed all of above, except cut off wheel, and had that one off in about 1/2 hr., compared to about 3 hrs. on first one. Thanks for all the tips guys, and i hope my experience, and solution, will help someone else. Good forum guys.....i registered, and book marked it

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may have to try that myself and see what results I get. I am ready to just skip all this and just get a new hub and rotors, since neither has been changed since I got the vehicle and god knows if the hubs are originals are not. Not sure....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
903ASP
Freshman User
Originally Posted by digitalshooter
I Think there are 2 key things when using the bolt method: Spraying with pb blaster and putting the wheels back on, not tight and then backing with the car on the ground and breaking them loose.

But, each will have a divverent experience and method.
Have to admit Digital, that until i read thread, i'd never heard of the product ( PB BLASTER ). The idea of wheels on lightly, and slowly backing up/going forward surely may work, but once, having to replace lug bolts on my '77 Vette, because 4 of the 5 broke off while i was driving, i'd hate to take the chance of breaking/bending them.....lol

Something to consider in the future tho

Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM
903ASP
Freshman User
Originally Posted by kidzstang
I use a 16 lb. long handle sledge to get them off but then smear the hub center hole with anit-seize to make it easier next time.
I'd hate to miss, and break/bend lug bolts....lol. I always never-seize everything when i put something new on, or even if i'm replacing same old part

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
903ASP
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Man_tlac83
I may have to try that myself and see what results I get. I am ready to just skip all this and just get a new hub and rotors, since neither has been changed since I got the vehicle and god knows if the hubs are originals are not. Not sure....
I'd try Digitals, or my idea first Man, hubs will surely add a lot more expense to the job. Good luck my man.......no pun intended....lol

Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
I'd try Digitals, or my idea first Man, hubs will surely add a lot more expense to the job. Good luck my man.......no pun intended....lol

Oh I have. I've sprayed and waited, tightened bolts and beat on it like it stole money from my grandmother and my kids college funds. Then rotated a the rotor a little and repeated the steps. Used all kinds of different size hammers & pulleys. I didn't just myself with fire, but there is always a first time for everything.

Already need driver rotor and at this point, I rather have good new parts on the front and not go back in for a little bit.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM
903ASP
Freshman User
Wink

Oh I have. I've sprayed and waited, tightened bolts and beat on it like it stole money from my grandmother and my kids college funds. Then rotated a the rotor a little and repeated the steps. Used all kinds of different size hammers & pulleys. I didn't just myself with fire, but there is always a first time for everything.

Already need driver rotor and at this point, I rather have good new parts on the front and not go back in for a little bit.
Well, if you're intent on replacing hub/shaft, then you probably don't have worry about messin' with the rotor. If you take cotter key out, and remove nut ( not sure, but i think it's 1 1/8 socket ), you can pull rotor/hub/shaft out as 1 unit. I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, as i've never had to remove any myself. Again, good luck

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
I'm not sure what size it is either, but around 3 clock pm eastern time that 's what I did. I was like screw it, it's all coming off. Especially since the hub is nicely rusted to the knuckle too . Steering Knuckle, hub and rotor are well mated to one another, a real screwed up 3some. Depending how this week goes I may take a shot at saving the knuckle. Don't want to replace all that and if I can save the hub that will be a plus as well.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
903ASP
Freshman User
I'm not sure what size it is either, but around 3 clock pm eastern time that 's what I did. I was like screw it, it's all coming off. Especially since the hub is nicely rusted to the knuckle too . Steering Knuckle, hub and rotor are well mated to one another, a real screwed up 3some. Depending how this week goes I may take a shot at saving the knuckle. Don't want to replace all that and if I can save the hub that will be a plus as well.
Can't catch a break, can you....lol. Save the hub/shaft if you can, i'm sure they will cost a hell of a lot more than rotors. I know i've never had this much of a problem on any vehicle i've ever owned, taking off rotors Must be one of Fords "Better ideas"

Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
Nope I can't, luckly for this truck I love it. But love can go as fast as it can come. For what ever reason I am kind of enjoying myself. I am updating my post now if you want to see what my lower ball joint looked/looks like.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...snapped-2.html

Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
903ASP
Freshman User
Nope I can't, luckly for this truck I love it. But love can go as fast as it can come. For what ever reason I am kind of enjoying myself. I am updating my post now if you want to see what my lower ball joint looked/looks like.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...snapped-2.html
WOW!!! I've changed quite a few ball joints in my day, and at the worst, they were sloppy, but i've never seen one broke? What were you doing? A little "Off road rock climbing" ?........lol

Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Man_tlac83
Cargo Master
WOW!!! I've changed quite a few ball joints in my day, and at the worst, they were sloppy, but i've never seen one broke? What were you doing? A little "Off road rock climbing" ?........lol
I wish, the only off roading she has seen so far is at a state park.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 AM
crabjoe
Junior User
Stuck rotor here too!! I was using the bolt and nut to put pressure on the rotor, but that doesn't work.. At least on this '01 Expedition.. After reading this complete thread, I see people are cutting their rotors off. I don't have a sawzall, but I do have a 3" cutoff wheel. I'm guessing I can use it instead of a sawzall, but I need better instructions and picture would be best.

I keep seeing pie cut, when I read about the sawzall method. What am I suppose to do? Do I cut a pie slice shaped wedge from the outer rotor edge to the outer edge of the hub (The rotor would look like it had teeth like a gear) or and I just cutting the surface of the rotor, to the center then trying to crack it with a wedge?

Pictures or a youtube video on the sawzall method please.......

Quick Reply: How to remove Rotors that are rusted on Ford Expedition