1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Size of tie rod ends on Power Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Slowgo53
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Size of tie rod ends on Power Rack?

I purchased a power rack that I believe came from Zigs Streetrods. They claim its from a late Thunderbird. The tie rod ends that came on the unit worked great until I recently replaced my spindles. I thought the spindles that were on the truck (when I bought it) were MII but the new spindles (that are MII) seem to have a smaller taper for the tie rod. Is there a difference in the taper between the late T-birds and the old MII's? It seems that I may have read about this some time ago but cant put my hands on the article.

Has anybody else had this problem? How about suggestions? I have no problem replacing the tie rod ends but would like to know a year and model to ask for as my local auto parts dealers first question will be: Does it have air?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:30 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tie rod ends

I can't be absolutely sure but I think you are right about the difference in these rod ends. On a previous installation where I ran across this problem I matched the tie rod ends to the rack and retapered the spindles for the bigger taper, there is plenty of meat on the spindle and it never hurts to have more beef, especially on steering parts. Weight-wise the T-Bird is also a lot closer to your truck than the MII. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope this helps

Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also started awith a power rack from jegs, had the same problem with the taper, I also had many problems getting jegs to tell me the size of the fittings for hoses, tried a used 95 mustang rack and the same problem with the tie rod end not matching my spindles. I finally bought a new rack from flaming river and, Voila!! tie rod ends now match great, and no more hose problems. I still can't tell you what years are different but, if you just want to get ends to fit. Call Flaming River.