1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Volare IFS.....best shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:43 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volare IFS.....best shocks?

Any detailed info on the best shocks to stiffen up a Volare front end?

Old 02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Paul,

I'm getting senile, I just posted the exact P/Ns last week. But where? Go to KYB.com They sell two lines. The Gasadjust line is very firm. Cure your panel? I don't know for sure. But they are significantly stiffer than the run of the mill Volare shock. You'll notice a difference. My truck (ol' Grommit as I believe you used to call her) would just about throw front bumper road sparks on a hard stop, not any more. Then go to Summit.com and order them for about $30 each plus 6.95 S/H, no matter how much you order. You might find them local, but it's about a $45 shock. Warning, they look generic as can be, but they are bigtime firm. AX has got me sold on this shock thing. It makes a helluva difference.

Other choice is Koni. They sell very high quality adjustables. Price is more than a little bit higher though.

Last edited by fatfenders; 02-07-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:28 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
Thanks, Dewayne. I must have missed your post; there are so, so many posts on this forum now. I admit I don't search very often before asking questions.
Gromit: that dog character on the Wallace and Gromit cartoon (not really cartoon, but puppet) series from England. Wallace was another pickup we had at the time, hence the related names.

The people who made this series also made that pow/chicken escape comedy movie a few years ago.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 AM
theGman
Posting Guru
I'm switching frames now, so the volare is going to be under Mutt, a red 55 pickup, formerly known as Wallace. I bought it back last fall, after selling it 5 years ago. Might take Mutt to the show; we might try to sell it there. Nice truck, with rebuilt 390/C6, Edelbrock intake, heads, carb, dual Flowmasters, etc. Volare has the dropped spindles too.

Paul

Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Paul

The P/N you want for the KYB Gas-A-Just front is KG4528. If you want to match up the rear. Get your measurements ready and call tech support. (630)620-5555. Tell them Dewayne sent you. They’ll probably hang up on you at that point. Call them back and change your voice a little. Seriously, they are very helpful.

You’ll need the diameter mounting hole for rear shocks. Your distance between eyes with the weight on the suspension. Then leave some room for compression. 3” if possible. The rears are a bit of a crapshoot. You have to consider the original application for the shock you are using, and ask yourself if that makes any sense. I used a 1960-80s Vette rear shock on the rear. It is definitely firm enough for me.

Or just call up Koni and open your wallet up real wide.

And I wish I could afford a set of those drop spindles right now. Maybe some day.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Thanks Dewayne.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:18 PM
53Merc
Elder User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fatfenders
Paul

The P/N you want for the KYB Gas-A-Just front is KG4528. If you want to match up the rear. Get your measurements ready and call tech support. (630)620-5555. Tell them Dewayne sent you. They’ll probably hang up on you at that point. Call them back and change your voice a little. Seriously, they are very helpful.

You’ll need the diameter mounting hole for rear shocks. Your distance between eyes with the weight on the suspension. Then leave some room for compression. 3” if possible. The rears are a bit of a crapshoot. You have to consider the original application for the shock you are using, and ask yourself if that makes any sense. I used a 1960-80s Vette rear shock on the rear. It is definitely firm enough for me.
**** you're Good Dewayne!

GW in the Great White North where it's been raining for two [2] whole days in February!!!
Who said anything about acid rain and global warming....

Old 02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
"you're Good Dewayne!"

Stubborn is the word you're looking for. I do things the Niolon way. Until I'm satisfied with the results, at any cost, no matter how long it takes. If I ever made any money when I sold a vehicle, I sure don't remember it.