Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Explorer rear axle seal problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2002 Explorer rear axle seal problems

Hello, I've got a 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4, 4.6L. Last May (04) I noticed oil on the garage floor, after inspection found both rear axle seals were leaking. No problem truck was still under warranty. Got it fixed. One month later leaking again, this time RH rear axle seal leaking again. Still under warranty no problem, they fixed it. Today backed explorer out to change oil at 45500 miles and guess what, passenger rear axle seal leaking again! Now my warranty is out. This is my wifes vehicle so I took it for a drive and I am hearing some noise from the rear end also? No extended warranty!! My question is will they (Ford) cover it because there is a history of the same problem with this vehicle. Thanks

Old 02-05-2005, 11:16 PM
bigsam
Freshman User
I would take it back in soon. Mine was leaking where the shaft comes out of the Diff. housing. Leak showed up at about 34000 miles. When asked about if it occurs again, My local Ford dealer gave me a 1yr 12000 mile warranty on the repair.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:44 PM
Buzzman222
New User
I would suggest taking it back asap and complain about its constant problem. Might get it repaired under there no lemon policy. Good luck though.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:36 AM
jhromy
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigsam
I would take it back in soon. Mine was leaking where the shaft comes out of the Diff. housing. Leak showed up at about 34000 miles. When asked about if it occurs again, My local Ford dealer gave me a 1yr 12000 mile warranty on the repair.

well everybody gets that warrenty....

Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Mine is also leaking where the the shaft comes out of the differential. Like I noted this will be the third time in for this problem. Wondering if the noise I'm now hearing from the rear end could have been causing the seals to go bad all along?

Old 02-06-2005, 09:35 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like your axel vent tube is full of crud.

This is common if you are losing oil out of both axel seals and the front pinion seal....I went round and round on my F-150 (new seals all round, and the pinion replaced 2x) and it turned out to be a $1 length of hose.

If the vent tube is plugged, it causes the gear oil to push out the seals as the gear oil warms up and expands.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
Where is the axle vent tube located? I would like to look into it before I take into dealer. Thanks

Old 02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Found vent tube went to pull off differential and guess what it snap off. Just a cheap piece of plactic attaching it on. Well blew through vent which routes up near gas cap, no blockage. But now need to replace broken vent tube, it broke right where it goes in. Not sure quite yet how to get that peice out. Not sure if it's threaded or not? Anyways still going to take to dealer at end of week to see about them covering axle seal. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Montana55
New User
still under warranty?

Originally Posted by Rob.D
Found vent tube went to pull off differential and guess what it snap off. Just a cheap piece of plactic attaching it on. Well blew through vent which routes up near gas cap, no blockage. But now need to replace broken vent tube, it broke right where it goes in. Not sure quite yet how to get that peice out. Not sure if it's threaded or not? Anyways still going to take to dealer at end of week to see about them covering axle seal. Any ideas? Thanks
From what I understand, if the original fix was done under warranty, then you still should be covered if you're having the same problem. (even though you're officially out of the warranty) I had a 02 Explorer that developed noise in the rear end at 52,000 miles. Was told it was a bad bearing, but that didn't solve the problem. Then was told the rear end had to be replaced. That did solve it, but I got rid of it soon after. Was told by the service mgr. that they're replacing alot of rear ends, (with updated parts) especially on 02's. (also heard that from a friend who used to be a mechanic at a Ford dealership) Because of that, Ford picked up much of the bill & even threw in an extended powertrain warranty on top of everything. Having Kitty Van Bortel (owner of Van Bortel Ford near Rochester, N. Y,) was a tremendous plus on my side. She's a person of integrity & class, who sticks by her customer's if a problem should arise. I found that out 1st hand, as I don't believe I would of received the same treatment from any other Ford dealership in my area. I tell anyone looking at Fords (or just anyone in general) my story & to go straight to Van Bortel. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Thanks for the info Montana55

Old 02-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Montana55
New User
rear end problems

Thanks for the info Montana55
Good luck Rob & keep me posted. If you're also developing noise in the rearend, I suspect they're going to give you the bad news a new rearend has to be put in. Being out of warranty, you're looking at a major bill. Although you may have a case that this ties in to your original seal problem, that was fixed under warranty. Let me know what they say. I can tell you more about my story & what Ford did for me. Found out things I never knew about repair bills when a vehicle is out of warranty. And it was all because I had the good fortune of having Kitty Van Bortel (the owner of Van Bortel Ford) on my side.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
I will keep you posted. When I called the dealership to schedule appointment for Fri and told them what was going on they were not sure on how they were to handle it. They have a 12mo or 12,000 mile policy on repairs but I'm over the 12,000 miles. So I'll have to wait and see. I would hope with this being the third time in for the same problem they would cover it and also any related problem(rear end). I just hope I don't have to fight them tooth and nail. I've always been a ford man and hope they don't give me a reason to look harder at another brand. My fingers are crossed.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Montana55
New User
I will keep you posted. When I called the dealership to schedule appointment for Fri and told them what was going on they were not sure on how they were to handle it. They have a 12mo or 12,000 mile policy on repairs but I'm over the 12,000 miles. So I'll have to wait and see. I would hope with this being the third time in for the same problem they would cover it and also any related problem(rear end). I just hope I don't have to fight them tooth and nail. I've always been a ford man and hope they don't give me a reason to look harder at another brand. My fingers are crossed.
It will interesting to see what they say. I still think you should be covered if you're having the seal problem that was originally fixed out of warranty. Hopefully you won't have to fight them tooth & nail. I know that feeling from past experience & it's no fun. This latest reapair I just went through couldn't have gone any better. But, that was a result of having Kitty Van Bortel (the owner) on my side. I have been leasing Explorer's since 1996, so you could say I was pretty loyal to Ford, like yourself. When the lease ran out on the 02, I liked it so much I decided to buy it & keep it for awhile. Two weeks after I bought it the noise developed, got the bad news on the rearend, & needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. (I'm out of warranty) That's when I approached Kitty & she got the ball rolling for me. I think being with Ford since 96 definitely helped my cause, but I'm convinced she was the major factor in the whole equation that kept this from being a major headache. Although I still like the Explorer's alot, my confidence in them long term isn't there anymore. Just seems to be too many problems with them lately. IMO, the QC at Ford is going downhill. Van Bortel gave me a great deal on a new lease (only lost a few hundred $ trading in the 02) so I'm back to leasing, which is where I'll stay. It works for me. I can't say enough good thing's Kitty Van Bortel & the dealership as a whole. Everyone should be fortunate enough to have a class operation like that in their area. Because of her, they are definitely not your typical car dealership.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Montana55
New User
under warranty?

Originally Posted by Montana55
It will interesting to see what they say. I still think you should be covered if you're having the seal problem that was originally fixed out of warranty. Hopefully you won't have to fight them tooth & nail. I know that feeling from past experience & it's no fun. This latest reapair I just went through couldn't have gone any better. But, that was a result of having Kitty Van Bortel (the owner) on my side. I have been leasing Explorer's since 1996, so you could say I was pretty loyal to Ford, like yourself. When the lease ran out on the 02, I liked it so much I decided to buy it & keep it for awhile. Two weeks after I bought it the noise developed, got the bad news on the rearend, & needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. (I'm out of warranty) That's when I approached Kitty & she got the ball rolling for me. I think being with Ford since 96 definitely helped my cause, but I'm convinced she was the major factor in the whole equation that kept this from being a major headache. Although I still like the Explorer's alot, my confidence in them long term isn't there anymore. Just seems to be too many problems with them lately. IMO, the QC at Ford is going downhill. Van Bortel gave me a great deal on a new lease (only lost a few hundred $ trading in the 02) so I'm back to leasing, which is where I'll stay. It works for me. I can't say enough good thing's Kitty Van Bortel & the dealership as a whole. Everyone should be fortunate enough to have a class operation like that in their area. Because of her, they are definitely not your typical car dealership.
Just wanted to correct a sentence in this post. The second sentence should read "I still think you should be covered, if you're having the seal problem that was originally fixed under warranty" Don't want to cause any confusion.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Well dropped explorer off today. Got call around 1:30 was told axle seal was leaking which I already new and they suspect a wheel bearing out (noise from rear end). I was asked if they could have it till Monday when the original mechanic who fixed the the axles seals the first time would be back on Mon. He was a training class today. I said sure and they gave us a 05 reg cab F-150 to drive for the weekend. I inquired about how they were going to handle the the billing and I was told they would work with me on the axle seal but not sure on the wheel bearing. I'm glad they are giving the original mechanic a chance to look at it, they told me they want to get to the bottom of the axle seal problem, I hope so. I will post more Mon evening when I get home.

Quick Reply: 2002 Explorer rear axle seal problems