6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2005 upfitter realy panel location??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:27 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 upfitter realy panel location??????

I purchased the upfitter switch assy. and finally received the wiring harness today. Where does the relay panel mount? I'm sure it is under the glove box somewhere, but where exactly and in which orientation. Anyone with a 2005 model equipped with the upfitter switches please respond with a picture of the relay box.

Thanks,
Fred

Old 02-04-2005, 06:11 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Go here.....The Tech Folder

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=303583

Scroll down and find the link for Upfitter SW's

Old 02-04-2005, 07:00 AM
14u2nv
Senior User
pull your glove box out and let it hang down the brkt with relays mounts up inside onto the steel brkt that is there i dont have a pic but i did mine yesterday switches work awesome i also hooked up my high idle to switch 4 and it too works great

Old 02-04-2005, 09:14 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Done deal!

Thanks 14u2nv! I stopped by the local Ford dealer and looked at a new truck equipped with the switches. I doubt my direct routing of the wire harness matches that of the factory, but hey, we are up and running. With the #4 switch elevating idle speed to approx. 1150 on the tach. Thanks for the help.

Tim,

I was looking for the location to mount the relay panel. You may want to attach a pic to the link on the tech folder as it does not show where to mount the panel. The factory harness is equipped with a bracket on the relay panle which mounts directly to the under dash frame, above the glove box, about as far back(rear) as possible. A couple of #10-32 bolts/screws attach it to the existing chasis under the dash.

Thanks,
Fred

Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much did all the parts run and what are the part#'s

Old 02-05-2005, 07:11 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FSeybert
Thanks 14u2nv! I stopped by the local Ford dealer and looked at a new truck equipped with the switches. I doubt my direct routing of the wire harness matches that of the factory, but hey, we are up and running. With the #4 switch elevating idle speed to approx. 1150 on the tach. Thanks for the help.

Tim,

I was looking for the location to mount the relay panel. You may want to attach a pic to the link on the tech folder as it does not show where to mount the panel. The factory harness is equipped with a bracket on the relay panle which mounts directly to the under dash frame, above the glove box, about as far back(rear) as possible. A couple of #10-32 bolts/screws attach it to the existing chasis under the dash.

Thanks,
Fred
Fred can youshoot some picks and send them to me, I will place them in the folder...good stuff and thanks

Old 02-08-2005, 10:38 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
2005 Upfitter Switches

Sorry for the delay. The desired part number are as follows:

Upfitter switch assy. PN 5C3Z13D730AAA, price is $39.45
Wiring Harness Assy. For Upfitter switches P.N. 5C3Z14A303AA for $18.75.

I can't see where Ford is making any money on the wiring harness as it is about 6 feet long and includes a relay/fuse panel and the connectors for both the existing harness and the upfitter switch assy.. The relays alone from Ford are $5.00 each! The routing is pretty straight forward, use the easiest path through the padding and openings in the dash chassis and it works. I can't seem to get a pic of the relay panel location to work. I will forward to Tim and see if he can attach it. He has already offered to place the P.N.'s and pics to the TECH FOLDER.

Fred

Last edited by BigF350; 09-15-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
33PPP
Senior User
Question

I realize this is an older thread. Do those two part numbers for the upfitter switch cover the hole. What I am trying to say is do those part numbers alone make the fitment in the dash complete with out the need to order anything else? I looked at the tech folder and from how I read it, it appears that this is just a plug in operation? Is that correct. When I ordered my truck the sales guy who was very helpful did not know what they were for or I would of originally ordered it with them. I'm going to add a plow and a few other accessories (lights).
Thanks

Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Plug and play. The switch assembly pops in from the front. The relay assembly mounts above the glove box, about as far to the rear of the opening as possible. The under dash frame has holes for the mounting screws. The bracket of the relay assemly is bent, to match the structure of the frame. I ended up stopping by the dealer to see one installed as it wasn't that evident where to mount it. Once I saw the location it was a piece of cake. The wiring harness runs under the dach and plugs right in to the switch assembly and the power/fuse panel under the dash, behind the drivers side lower removable panel. Install took all of 10 minutes once I found where to mount the relay assembly. Works great.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
33PPP
Senior User
Wink

Thank You for the response.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Russellc
New User
Originally Posted by FSeybert

Tim,

Thanks,
Fred
Just wondering how you hooked up the high idel. would like to do this to mine

Old 08-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Brad_TX
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Russellc
Just wondering how you hooked up the high idel. would like to do this to mine

same question?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:03 PM
kforrest
New User
OK, while refering to a previous upfitter posts, someone mentioned 4 cut wires in the engine compartment taped to the wiring harness (drivers side) and then check glove box to see if the upfitter fuse panel was installed. I understand the purpose of checking behind the glove box before purchasing the fuse panel, but why the mention of the 4 cut wires?

I noticed in other posts regarding the install, the wiring harness for the switches originates at the power/fuse panel, onto the swithces and then upfitter relay/fuse panel in glove box. Still don't know what the 4 cut wires in engine compartment are for? I have an '06' F350 PSD and the wires are there, but...............

One more dumb question. The little cuby hole, that sits where the switches need to be installed.... Are there a couple small screws holding it in, or does it snap in and out?

Thanks
KC

Old 09-14-2005, 03:41 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
OK, first off, Ford decided to help us out in adding modifications to our trucks. There are 4 wires that simply penetrate the firewall. They run from under the drivers side dash to just inside the engine compartment, taped off near the drivers side hood hinge. se them for aditional fog lights, winch control, etc..

The uppfitter switches install where the little cubby hole presently resides. On the left side of your brake controller, if so equipped. And, yes, it simply pops out the front. Drop the small (drivers side) glove box opening door by simply pinching in the catches at the top of the door and swing it down, out of the way to gain access.

The relay panel fits neatly under the passenger side dash, as far towards the seat as possible, straight up from the opening of the large glove box. The mounting bracket is shaped such that it fits in the location meant for it. There is a quick disconnect that attaches to the switches in the middle of the harness, and the other end attaches to the back side of the fuse/relay panel located under the drivers side dash. Pull the removable cover, and remove 4 (I think 4) screws to gain access to the rear of the fuse/relay block.
Check the Body Builder advisory page:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q117.pdf

for a wiring diagram and pictures.

As for the higher idel speed control. Sorry, I guess I didn't see the email about the other post from RusselC and Brad_TX. Utilize the PTO wiring harness, located again, under the dash, drivers side. The small solid Orange wire (At least on my 2005 F-250) is the elevated idle control for the PTO. The transmission needs to be in Park, with the parking break set in order for the idle to elevate. Mine runs up to about 1250 RPM. When 12V DC is applied to this Orange wire, and all the prerequesites are made, the idle will rise. Hope this helps, and again sorry for the delay.

Fred

Old 09-14-2005, 03:43 PM
FSeybert
Mountain Pass
Also, don't forget, the Upfitter relays are 30 amp for #1 and #2, and only 10 amp for #3 and #4. If you are going to use the elevated idle control from the upfitters, use #3 or #4 and save the higher amp rated relays for other uses. I have a 400 Watt power inverter I am installing under the rear seat. This I will power with #1.

Fred

Quick Reply: 2005 upfitter realy panel location??????