Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

F150 sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:14 AM
flashman1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 sales

CNN's report on January auto sales.

"Many of Ford's pickup trucks and SUVs posted weaker results. The F-Series pickup truck posted a 20.4 percent drop in sales compared with January 2004, while results for the Ford Explorer fell 41 percent. "

Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
After 16 months straight of sales increases, it had to stop somewhere. Also, as hard as they were pushing sales in December to make the sales record, it doesn't surprise me that sales would be down this month.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
All manufacturers had a sales spike in December, and after that Ford was the only one out of the Big 3 to show a decrease in sales. Fords small SUV's did show record sales though, and the mustang is still the hottest selling car out right now. A lot has to do with the novelty of a new product coming out. There is always a peak when a new design is introduced-04 F150, then sales will drop and level off.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:21 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
I don't think the decrease in sales of the F-Series is a bad omen, as they still sold 49K, although the Silverado showed an increase in sales at 41K. Ford has had a really good run going with the F-150 the last year, and it's just natural for the buzz to wear off. What is concerning is that the F-series is what is keeping Ford's head above water, and with their current lineup they can't take too big of a hit in truck sales over the next few years. With the boom in full size trucks and large SUV's waining, Ford needs to get in gear now with updating the rest of the line with vehicles that get some attention. While the new mustang is doing well, it's not the runaway hit that is portrayed in the press releases. They actually only sold less than 400 more mustangs than they did during the same period last year. There are some very disturbing numbers if you look at the sales report. The colorado outsold the Ranger by a good margin. The Ranger will definately not be the best selling small pickup this year. When is the redesign of the Ranger coming? The 500, freestyle and montego combined sold at about the same volume as the 300 by itself. Heck, the ancient Grand Marquis sold more than the brand new 500, and that is scary for a car that could have been a homerun, and needed to be a homerun. Well, I won't go on being negative, but it's hard not to when you look at the numbers. There were some bright spots such as the Escape and Mustang, but this could be a very tough year. Sorry if I sound too negative, but there's not much to be positive about.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wnorman1192
The colorado outsold the Ranger by a good margin. The Ranger will definately not be the best selling small pickup this year. When is the redesign of the Ranger coming?
Not sure your statement is a true. Check it out: http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

Concerning sales being do I don't find this disturbing. Ford has already said that they don't expect sale this year to be as good as last. Interest are going up and rebates are coming down. We have all got use to good deals.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
The info on Pickuptruck.com is old. The latest:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=11625

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/019122.html

Yes Ford is expecting sales to be down this year, but lets hope it doesn't get bad enough for additional production cuts, as that is very bad on the bottom line.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:31 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry my bad, I read the post wrong.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:58 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
The ranger redesign is WAY overdue. But its cheap to build and does sell well. I agree with everything else in your post, while Ford only focus's on trucks and suv's, GM & Chrysler are taking chances and producing some very impressive cars. Ford needs to step up to the plate.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, I think the 500 should have looked more like the concepts, and had a v-8 option avalible. They could have really had a serious contender there.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford had a huge December sales month for F-series sales. In the last two weeks off December they sold like 40-50,000 trucks. I was at a Ford dealer a couple days before New years it was wild this dealership sold a ton off trucks. They said there last week before the end off the year is there biggest sales week for the whole year. Januarys awful winter weather didnt help sales either. 50,000 sales in January is the norm in most years. Last year being an exception. January is the slowest month typically for auto sales including trucks. However i was reding that the new Mustang was selling like gangbusters despite winter weather. Just wait until spring and summer sales will explode. Theranger is overdue for a change but was put on the backburner until the new 150 revamped superduty was put on the market. As well as new car introduction. The 150 is the lifeblood for Ford it has to succeed or Ford does not do well. Ford invested tons off money in a new truck plant at the Rouge complex in Dearborn just for the 150. That spells important in anybodies book. And so far it is.

Last edited by 150ford; 02-03-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 PM
emxmagnum
Senior User
Maybe you guys should check this out....

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins.../A01-77564.htm

Old 02-03-2005, 11:27 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO sales figures show trends in the economy also. Not necessarly reflecting on quality of the vehicle, etc. Not everyone buys a new vehicle every year or so ... some folks like me, have a tendency to wear a vehicle out and repair it. Those charts only reflect the difference between each manufacturers sales from the same period last year. Longer sales statistics may mean more than that comparison. At least to me.