Sponsored by: DP Tuner

synthetic oil benifits/problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 11:00 AM
JR270
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question synthetic oil benifits/problems

I have been considering switching over from conventional 15w/40 rotella to the synthetic rotella in my '97 F250 PSD. The main reason is to help some with cold starts and the other benifits I have heard of the synthetics. I live in the southwestern portion of VA in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains and it tends to get cold here, down below zero last week with highs in the single digits, but my truck started without being plugged in when my neighbors '99 Dodge 3500 Cummins would not, the look on his face was priceless since I had tried to get him to buy a PSD instead of the Dodge! Any way, I have been searching through the forums about synthetic oil and some say that it will cause leaks, make existing leaks worse, not to use it, not good for warm summer time temps., may cause engine damage, etc. Are any of you running the rotella synthetic or another brand of synthetic oil and experiencing any of these or other problems. I have read alot of positive things about the synthetic in the forums though. Also, my truck has 160K and has always used conventional rotella 15w40, will switching over to syn. at this mileage be harmful? be benifical? Thanks!!

P.S. The reason I am looking at using the Rotella Synthetic oil vs another brand is that a buddy of mine works at an auto parts store, and they are dis-countinuing the Rotella synthetic and will only carry the conventional 15w/40 due to not selling alot of the syn. due to higher price vs conventional. He told me his district manager would let me have the rotella synthetic at $6.00 a gallon if I take all he has to get rid of it, which is 14 gallons. Thanks!!

Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JR,
e-mail shell and ask them if you have too many miles to start using the synthetic- Sounds like a great deal at $6 per gallon, I'd probably do it. I use Mobil1 synthetic in my 6.0 psd and have seen an increase in mpg, easier/smoother starts etc.
Good luck

Last edited by utahtom; 01-29-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM
JR270
Freshman User
I have e-mailed shell with the question, I will let you know what their response is, thanks!

Old 01-29-2005, 01:42 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of information here, pick your forum;
http://www.rotella.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Old 01-29-2005, 02:10 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
All good no Bad!!