Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water drain valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
slapage
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water drain valve?

Can you drain the entire fuel bowl by opening the yellow valve? Where is the water stored that drains from this valve?

Old 01-12-2005, 08:32 PM
sterling
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[B]Yes you can, it is located behing the fuel filter/bowl

Old 01-12-2005, 08:33 PM
sterling
Cross-Country
[B]crap I miss read, it is stord in the bowl like a seperator.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
slapage
Freshman User
When I open the valve nothing comes out, and I just changed the fuel filter. So if you don't drain the water in the bowl and you remove the fuel filter, will that let the water and fuel mix in the bowl?

Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 PM
sterling
Cross-Country
[B]Not sure I always drain my before the filter change. I would think that even if it mixes you can still drain it out and start the truck. Not sure that I am following you but thats my best est.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 PM
dixietow
New User
water is stored in bottom of seperator always drain water first but no big deal the water will always stay on bottom if your water in fuel lite was not on then you have little if none and yes you can drain entire seperator but you should not just open for 3 =5 seconds you will see fuel spewing out from pass side front look under wheel well also your ford has a elec fuel pump so just cycle ingnition a couple times arter filter change

Old 01-13-2005, 04:06 AM
fedextech
Senior User
these drian valves will plug sometimes, start the engine and open the valve...with the pressure on the system, it will blow out any stoppage at the valve. it's a good practice to open and close it 2 or 3 times to clear debris from the valve so it will not leak when closed off. tip...you can add a piece of 1/4 fuel line to the steel drain line to get the end at the engine crossmember point... this will allow you to catch the fuel in a drain pan without making a mess. it's not necessary to drain the housing to change the filter and the water will always be at the bottom.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 AM
BigRed350
Senior User
Originally Posted by fedextech
these drian valves will plug sometimes, start the engine and open the valve...with the pressure on the system, it will blow out any stoppage at the valve. it's a good practice to open and close it 2 or 3 times to clear debris from the valve so it will not leak when closed off. tip...you can add a piece of 1/4 fuel line to the steel drain line to get the end at the engine crossmember point... this will allow you to catch the fuel in a drain pan without making a mess. it's not necessary to drain the housing to change the filter and the water will always be at the bottom.
Though maybe it's "not necessary" to drain the bowl when changing the filter, how long do you want the process to take? If you try to install a new filter with a full bowl, you have to let the new filter absorb all the fuel in the bowl or it will overflow. It's much easier to just drain all the fuel, dirt and water out of the bowl first, then put in the new element. Other than that, I agree with fedextech's advice.

Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM
dixietow
New User
since we change probly 8 a month i can tell you guys this by the time you open the top and pull the old filter out dirt debis and such will find itself in that 48$ valve ***. and cause it to leak so we have learned from exp. not to drain entire bowl rather pull filter look in bottom you can see water clearly the bowl will only be half full any way if you dont send the new one in like a toilet plunger it will soak it up and wolla not a drop will make it out oh yeah a quick tip for you new psd mec.dont try to clean the bowl with carb cleaner it will eat that 48$ drain valve for lunch it may last a day or even a week but you will be fighting those 4 little pain in the @#@ torx screws on that drain valve dont mean to sound like a know it all but i have had psd that had over 500 thous.miles on them and could write a cazillion page novel on stuff my drivers and mecs. have been through 24 hours seven days a week psd problems still woulnt trade em for paris hilton and 40 chevys good luck

Old 01-29-2005, 03:33 PM
firemanp
Senior User
Ok, I have read just about every thread on fuel filters and I have not read anything about the problem with my 96 PSD.

When I changed my fuel filter the black plastic stem that the fuel filter slips over is broke. It appears to be threaded where it fits into the base. Also the top of the stem appears to have deteriorated away to the point that I can see a spring in the center of the stem.