1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

EFI motor in 53

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:55 AM
tgregoire
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI motor in 53

Anyone know of a source for info regarding installing a new computer controlled engine in an older truck? I'm looking for info such as where to get a harness or what sensors are needed and things like that. How the computer interacts with the whole system.

Any info would be good. Just looking around at this point.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The best thing to do is get a complete donor in most cases.. Most newer EFI engines also control the trans. U will need the complete harness and all the ECI's to go with the engine of choice..

What engine are U planning on?

Old 01-28-2005, 01:39 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Junk yards are most likely the least expensive place to get them and like Madathlon said, a donar vehicle makes the work a little easier because you are going to need a lot of parts and don't forget the fuel line parts, pumps etc.

Old 01-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Jacques
Freshman User
Have I got a website for you!!!

You might try fordfuelinjection, can't post web page links so you have to add the 3w's and the c word at the end.

I am in the final prep stages, got my manifolds, computer, wiring, etc and have found his website invaluable. I also ordered his kit for renewing the wiring harness & it's all quality stuff, I needed relays & a fuse block & his prices were good. Usual disclaimer, not affiliated with Ryan, just a happy customer.
I have new sensors to buy & then it's showtime. I'm really looking forward to putting it all together, gonna be a lot of fun. If you want, drop me a private email & I'll send you my listing of web sites that I got information from.
Regards,
Jon

Old 01-29-2005, 01:53 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
What EFI motor are you looking to run 5.0, 5.8? If you email me I may be able to help you. You will see I have a 1988 5.0 Speed density out of a Crown Victoria. A friend in West Tennessee did the work for me. SO far about 5500 good miles in one year. Been to ATL, Knoxville, and NC to truck shows. Just let me know.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:33 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tgregoire
Anyone know of a source for info regarding installing a new computer controlled engine in an older truck? I'm looking for info such as where to get a harness or what sensors are needed and things like that. How the computer interacts with the whole system.

Any info would be good. Just looking around at this point.
Why would you want to install an EFI, simplicity is the reason most of us stick with the older stuff. I think the best bet if you want an EFI controlled truck just purchase a year that had it, and customize it. I saw one in a 40 ford a few months back and all that harness on the top of the engine was a real turn off. But this is just the opinion of a dinasour who perfers to relive the past.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:29 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Companies like PainLess Wiring and Howell Engineering offer custom made wiring harnesses to match your specific application for engine, trans, etc. I've heard they run in the $600-800 range. Probably also have info on installations. 56FUN

Old 01-29-2005, 09:31 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are also several mustang related sites that have tech articles covering installation of an EFI engine and the related wiring etc.

Try a search on Google using "MAF conversion"

Even Ford Motorsport sells harness kits to add EFI systems to non-EFI vehicles....

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 PM
tgregoire
Senior User
Thanks guys I will look into some of your recommendations. I'm not interested in this for my 53 but more for another project I am in the developing my game plan for. (81 T/A)