1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Kragen's and NAPA Merge!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Campbell 56
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Kragen's and NAPA Merge!

FYI

- - - - - -
Major Auto Part Chains Announce Merger

Phoenix, AZ (BSN) January 26, 2005. In an unprecedented move, the two U.S. largest auto part retailers announced a merger that will become efective as of July 1st, 2005 if all regulatory approvals are obtained.

The joint announcement was made by Cornelius Kragen III, the CEO and Chairman of CSK, Inc., Kragen's holding company, and Sterling Napa, co-founder of Napa Auto Parts, Inc. In their statement, the executives expressed their enthusiasm about the synergies that will be created with the merger, and unveiled an aggresive business plan for the merged company.

The primary driver post-merger will be a marketing effort focusing on the new name of the merged entity, which will capitalize on the huge goodwill of both the Kragen and Napa brands. "After rejecting some names proposed by external consultants, Sterling and I came up with the name", said Mr. Kragen, "and we couldn't be happier," he added, "as it is a name that clearly reflects the values and standards of both companies, and the know-how and customer service focus of our employees": KRAPA

The names of both Kragen and Napa stores will be changed shortly, and you will start seeing the KRAPA signs pop up soon. In a news conference held after the announcement, Mr. Napa, and Mr. Kragen mentioned how they do not foresee any adverse consequences, because they know the valuable service their stores offer, and KRAPA stands behind them.

In a related announcement, the merged company presented a new and improved training curriculum for sales associates, that will bring the standards of not only one, but both of the competencies required of their sales teams to new levels, the KRAPA standards. Industry insiders will recognize that the competencies refer to (if I may say so, the art and science of): a) typing in the computer the year, make and model of the car to find a part number, and b) if a year, make or model is not readily available, refer the customer to "the dealer" or, in extreme cases, to another auto parts store.

It is precisley such respected practice of referring clients somewhere else, that KRAPA expects to capitalize on, because now clients will not go from Kragen to Napa or vice-versa, but from KRAPA to KRAPA, which will result in higher exposure of the clients to the KRAPA values.

One thing is clear, KRAPA will not disappoint new and existing customers with the KRAPA standards. Mr. Napa said, "We want our customers to see KRAPA everywhere they go, and we want them to buy parts and accessories from us, and get home and be confident that they bought KRAPA."

Copyright 2005. BS News.
- - - - - -

I found this on another message board I look at and couldn't resist putting here. I thought it was funny...

Old 01-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally a names that fits Both LOL ....

Old 01-28-2005, 12:01 PM
blatherskite
Senior User
I guess it can vary from city to city but I'll take NAPA over any other chain part store. The local NAPA here has no kids working and although they use the computer for late model parts, they do still have the old books for finding parts for older stuff too.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:05 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't beat NAPA or CarQuest for getting the right stuff!

Barry

50 F-1

Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HA! Good one.

We don't have any Kragen stores around here but we do have NAPA. Then if KRAPA and Auto Zone will merge we can have KRAPAZONE stores.

Vern

Old 01-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I see some people Just cant see a joke when its persented to them.
I run a shop here in town and get my parts from NAPA, Carquest, Autozone, and Kragen. And Id say 99.9999% I get what I need when I need them.. But is still fun to pick on them.. :P

Old 01-28-2005, 01:24 PM
blatherskite
Senior User
I can take a joke!!!

I can certainly take a joke and that's exactly how I took the original post.

However, "Mad"s post about the name fitting them both hardly sounds like a joke to me - that sounds like you are running them down. So I simply posted in support of my local NAPA store - that's all. This is all just my opinion though so take it for what its worth!!

There are no Kragens around here so I have no opinion about them.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Campbell 56
Senior User
Kragen's, Schaucks (sp?) and Checkers are all the same company in different disguises. I personally prefer NAPA myself as they still have the actual catalogs at the counter and know how to use them. Kragens is all computerized and they generally don't know what they have in stock around my town unless the computer tells them.

AutoZone wanted $5 each for a license plate lightbulb for my son's '66 Rambler and it was special order! The NAPA guy looked at it as I came in the door, turned around, picked it up out of a box and handed it to me. It cost 29 cents. That's the difference and that's why I go there first usually.

And the joke was too good to pass up.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
nixer
Senior User
krapa isnt bad here but it is way overpriced carquest here usually has all the parts ive ever needed and much cheaper

Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
hot1958
Senior User
i use napa part's every day at the shop where i work,and like some of you said they still have and know how to use the old part's book's.they have good part's and fast service.for my own use,i still use napa and my local autozone.i have found that the autozone has a lot of part's for old car's and truck's,and a lot of them are in stock,it just depends on the counter person you are dealing with.we do have a murry's autopart's,and they pretty much suck,carquest is alright,lee autopart's are good.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:45 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read some of this post to the wife, she said you guys have way to much time on your hands !!!.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:39 AM
boilerbots
Senior User
That is pretty funny.... but Kragen's still has the print books too but some of the employees don't know where they are or how to use them. I have been in and out of my local Kragens so many times that I generally walk in, walk behind the counter and get the book I want. They don't seem to mind.

I almost asked if I could take them home since they don't use them.....

Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boilerbots
That is pretty funny.... but Kragen's still has the print books too but some of the employees don't know where they are or how to use them. I have been in and out of my local Kragens so many times that I generally walk in, walk behind the counter and get the book I want. They don't seem to mind.

I almost asked if I could take them home since they don't use them.....
Yeah, we have Shucks up here and when you ask for a part they keep pressing for the vehicle type to enter into their computer. When I say 51 F1, they usually just stand there with their mouth open. If it wasen't for NAPA it would be strickly mail order for any parts up in this neck of the woods.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Napa

Howdy,

I'll have to agree....Napa had all the brake parts for my 55 F-600 (except the Hydro-booster...no autoparts store had that one!)

It's nice to know you can get all the stuff you need from Napa. Schucks just said "nope! we don't go back that far....try Napa!)

Cheers,

Rick

Originally Posted by blatherskite
I guess it can vary from city to city but I'll take NAPA over any other chain part store. The local NAPA here has no kids working and although they use the computer for late model parts, they do still have the old books for finding parts for older stuff too.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
huronfarmer
Senior User
the only thing i have to really complain about napa around here is that their prices are at least 2x as high as any other parts house in the area....parts and everything else are just as good or better, but the prices are wild...
Darrell