why is it so hard to find a regular cab?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:46 PM
dhofmann
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why is it so hard to find a regular cab?

Do any dealers carry F250 4X4 with the regular cab. It seems like Ford is really pushing the ext and crew cabs?

Is there a way to search ALL Ford dealerships without entering hundreds of zip codes?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2005, 09:03 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhofmann
...Is there a way to search ALL Ford dealerships without entering hundreds of zip codes?

Thanks
That's where the Ford system sucks. I stock regular cabs, but it just seems that every day we see more people that want that extra space inside. 30 years ago, when the extended cab came out, the extra $1500 it cost was a LOT of money. Now, with the prices where they are, it's a much smaller percentage so more people are going for them, even those that hadn't considered the bigger cabs before.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:18 AM
dhofmann
New User
Do you know how much longer the extended cab makes the truck? I need the 8' bed, where it seems most are buying the shorter bed. I have concerns as to whether it would fit in my garage.

I am considering purchasing a F250 4x4 and wondering if the extra length would fit in my garage, and if the combination of 4wd and that length would effect the turning radius

Thanks

Old 01-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Noonan
Senior User
Regular cab w/8' bed is 226.4"
Super cab w/8' bed is 247.4"

SuperDuty Specs

I noticed the same thing. It seemed most of the SD in stock are CC with
the short bed. Guess that's what everyone is buying.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:55 AM
dhofmann
New User
Thanks for the specs.....

Old 01-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,403 Likes on 2,096 Posts
Do not buy a regular cab, cause I like being on my own.

Try Trader Online and search what your looking for. I found 4 new 05 regular cabs with in 100 miles of me here in Ohio. Now I suppose you want a particular color also......

I got lucky, but ordering a new one was not out of the question to get what I wanted.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:12 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dhofmann
Do you know how much longer the extended cab makes the truck? I need the 8' bed, where it seems most are buying the shorter bed. I have concerns as to whether it would fit in my garage.

I am considering purchasing a F250 4x4 and wondering if the extra length would fit in my garage, and if the combination of 4wd and that length would effect the turning radius

Thanks
You've got one heckuva big garage if a regular cab SD fits. It's not the length, it's width that would concern me. As far as turning radius goes- it's kinda like comparing the Queen Mary to a Supertanker. The Queen Mary can turn faster, but it ain't exactly a Honda Civic either.

FWIW, Crew Cabs outsell Supercabs out here in the Pacific Nwst, and regular cabs are just a dead issue.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:43 AM
dhofmann
New User
My garage has a 18' x 7' door. It is 20' deep. When I built the house, I planned in advance

Old 01-28-2005, 11:07 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeh these reg cab are hard to find. The demand is not great for a regular cab but every time a dealer gets a reg cab 250 the dont seem to last long on the lot. I bought my reg cab 250 a month ago. A 2003 PSD. It had just came in to the lot the day before so I had first chance at it. It was in great shape. The salesman told me later that a guy had left a deposit on it in case I backed out on the deal. I needed the eight foot bed to haul stuff. The EC would have been nice but the bed would be to short with a tool box in the back.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 AM
nisiar
Senior User
I always thought the regular cab had the best lines, but around here the only ones you see, are industrial or corporation vehicles.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Bancho
Junior User
Originally Posted by nisiar
I always thought the regular cab had the best lines, but around here the only ones you see, are industrial or corporation vehicles.
I've always like the look of regular cab trucks myself . I wish I could get away with one but I need the extended cab for more people room .

Old 01-28-2005, 11:52 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nisiar
Yep- we keep a few XL's parked out with the Cube Vans and flatbeds. Whoever mentioned they sell well used is right- they rarely last, bit I think price is the big issue there.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The standard cabs were a tight fit for people over 6' it seems, so people started leaning towards the extra leg room in the early '90s when dealers stocked a lot of standards. Now the hard thing to do is to find a standard cab duallie. I believe they're special order now, but you don't even really see any of the old ones on the roads anymore.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Weevil
Senior User
Smile Reg Cab for me

I ordered my SD F-250 about three weeks ago with reg cab. I love the style.
Like you say they don't stock many and when they get them they are not on the lot long. So I don't know how they can say there is no demand when they move out so fast.
No doubt the long cabs are popular but to me they look like a railroad truck or a cross between a pickup and an SUV. Another reason dealers like to stock and push the long cabs and all the options is $$$$. The ave. truck on the lot has to be close to $40,000 MSRP. Now there has to be a lot more profit in one of those than on mine at $31,000 MSRP.

Originally Posted by 150ford
Yeh these reg cab are hard to find. The demand is not great for a regular cab but every time a dealer gets a reg cab 250 the dont seem to last long on the lot. I bought my reg cab 250 a month ago. A 2003 PSD. It had just came in to the lot the day before so I had first chance at it. It was in great shape. The salesman told me later that a guy had left a deposit on it in case I backed out on the deal. I needed the eight foot bed to haul stuff. The EC would have been nice but the bed would be to short with a tool box in the back.

Old 02-05-2005, 12:45 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
"Another reason dealers like to stock and push the long cabs and all the options is $$$$. The ave. truck on the lot has to be close to $40,000 MSRP. Now there has to be a lot more profit in one of those than on mine at $31,000 MSRP."

Close- think of it as the ultimate extension of the axiom "time is money." Here's how the program works, from a dealership perspective.

1) Most dealerships inventory isn't owned by themselves outright- either the manufacturer or a bank is involved. Dealer pays interest ("flooring") to keep a vehicle on the ground until it's sold. The manufacturers typically subsidize the flooring for a short period of time. In real numbers, if a vehicle lands and goes flying out the door a week later, there's no flooring expense (possible even a small profit). Multiply that out over a few hundred vehicles a month, times 12 months, and that small profit turns rapidly into real money. Without getting overly complex about it, if a dealership can keep their average turn @ 80 days instead of a more common 120 days, they could save a few hundred grand in flooring expense. All that goes directly into the bottom line- for a lot of dealerships, that kind of money could be a years profits all by itself.

2) Allocations happen in cycles- typically weekly or monthly. The manufacturer takes the vehicles you have in stock (usually by model line), adds the vehicles in transit, and divides by the prior 30/60/365 days sales. That number (days availability) is used to generate an allocation number- how many trucks you're going to get in a given month. The lower the days supply, the more you're going to earn. Sooo...if you focus exclusively on the fastest selling combinations, you'll increase your allocations. If you don't pay attention to what's really selling, you'll watch your allocations shrink over time.

All this is the long way around to say that if all-of-a-sudden the hot selling SD is a fuscia 5.4 6-spd regular cab, I can guarantee you I'll have a lot full of them in 60 days or less. If you're seeing what seems like a surplus of Dark Stone/Arizona Beige Lariat PSD Crews, though, it's because that's what carries the fastest turn rate. The dealer is really ambivalent on what he stocks, as long as it sells...and sells quickly.

Quick Reply: why is it so hard to find a regular cab?