power stering pump E350

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 07:38 PM
colwilly
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power stering pump E350

Good Evening to all,
Couple quick questions, Need to replace the P/S pump on a 1977 E-350 (C-Class) Looking at it can I just take the pump off or do I need to take the P/S braket off then remove the pump ? How much fluid will I need to replenish the resivoir, And what steps if any will I need to take on bleeding the system ?
Any other concerns should I be aware off ?
Thanks to all,

Old 01-28-2005, 02:57 PM
jtmerritt
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might have to remove the power steering pump pulley to get at the bracket bolt behind it. Get yourself a puller from Autozone to remove the pulley and to install the pulley on the new pump. Autozone will loan the tool to you for the price of a refundable deposit. I would flush and refill the power steering system with new fluid once you have the new PS pump installed. Take the return line off the back of the pump and put the line in a container that will hold at least a gallon of fluid. Get yourself about 6 quarts of ATF fluid or whatever your PS calls for. Fill the PS reservoir with all new fluid. Leave the PS cap off and have the person start the engine. While the pump is forcing the fluid into the container keep adding fluid to the reservoir until you see new fluid is coming out. Stop the engine and reconnect the return line. Top off the PS fluid and start the engine. Turn the steering wheel from lock to lock but don't hold the wheel at either lock. You probably will hear a distinct whine coming from the PS but that is just air in th system which will work out by driving. Just be sure that you watch the fluid level and keep it full.

John

Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 PM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you will have the Saginaw pump on that rig (canned ham shape) as opposed to the Ford-style PS pump. In which case, you will probably not have to remove the bracketry from the pump in order to remove the unit (at least I didn't on my 300 I-6 engine).

However, the pulley is PRESSED onto the pump and will require a pully-puller. DO NOT HAMMER ON THE PULLY to remove it. It will destroy that pulley. Spend the extra $ to either have it removed or buy the correct tool to do so.

You will also need an Installation tool to replace the pulley on the new pump. My reman pump actually came with an installation tool, which I promptly broke because of the massive pressure required to install the pully on the new pump; necessitating me to take it down to the machine shop so they could press the pulley on ($7).

May as well get new PS lines while you're at it. They are cheap...